9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys!...i found this on ebay,its for motocycles but i wonder if its possible to hook one of these in our cars.

jjjg.JPG

Let me know if anyone have seen something like this and knows how to install it !!

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes, you can get those to work in any car. They hook to the tach signal wire iirc. They were a big deal with the evo guys a long while back.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
haha . . . it's not just the indicator. There needs to be corresponding programming in the system to tell it what to show.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here you go, no need for any other "box." speed sensor is used as well. It interprets the rpm and speed signal and guesses which gear you are in.

gearindicatordiag.jpg

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I would not have a need for it, I always have an awareness of the gear I am in.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
It'd time to shift when the RPM cut-off takes effect. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
A couple things...

1) I had a similar idea when I bought my 08 Accord V6 6speed. Instead of a gear indicator I wanted to add an aftermarket shift light. I discovered, after I had already purchased the light, that it was not possible to tap into the required wiring since Honda had begun integrating all of the circuitry in the dash. I haven't dug into the idea since to see if the new Civic is able to accommodate this idea (the gear indicator would be the same concept).

2) Why would you need a gear indicator for a manual transmission car? It's not hard to reach down and figure out what gear you're in by the current speed/RPM and the shifter position.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Makes sense for motorcycles since the shifter is always in the same position regardless of gear... but for cars, just look down, or reach down and feel.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
Here you go, no need for any other "box." speed sensor is used as well. It interprets the rpm and speed signal and guesses which gear you are in.

View attachment 23816
If that is all included within the little gear indicator, then cool!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree it's not necessary at least for me. Our cars have enough screens to look at and you should be able to know what gear you are in without looking. But if it's what you want, who am I to disagree? If you do install it, be sure to post pics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Race inspired cosmetic enhancements? Indy cars have a gear indicator right?
Don't Indy cars have paddle shifters? If that's the case it's easy to see why they would have them, similar to the motorcycle comment.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think its kinda cool...sure you dont need it but you dont need alot of things in modern cars

1 - 20 of 25 Posts