9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Gears not catching

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cavitoloa 
#1 ·
What's going on. I've never had this issue on any of my other cars before and now this is the second time I've felt it on my 2013 SI with 75000. First time was about a week ago I wasn't beating on it but I was going around someone going from second to third gear.i shifted to third and it never caught the gear it acted as if I was in neutral. I went to fourth it caught with no problem then back to third and it still didn't catch. I went back to fourth it caught and I had same issue going into fifth. No grinding sounds nothing just acted as if it was in neutral. I pulled over shut it off gave it a few minutes. Started it up and then it drove fine as if nothing was wrong. Today I was in a parking lot reversing out of a spot with no issues, I put it in first and it did the exact same thing. I put it into second it was fine. I pulled up to a red light 30 seconds later coming to a complete stop then put it in first and it was gone again so I took off from second and then I had no issues for the rest of my 40 minute drive with all gears. What the hell is going on. Does this sound like anything specific to anyone. Only thing I have done to the car is it's lowered and an acuity short shifter which I've had for almost a 6 months with no issues. Please help.

#2 ·
You're saying that the shift lever goes fully into the "selected spot" and stays there without engaging the gear? Sounds like a bad interaction between the shifter assembly and the gearbox.
I would start by checking the shifter area, since you said you replaced that. Make sure the bushings and cables are all in place and everything is snug.
Then I'd check the top of the gearbox, make sure that the cables are attached well on that end, and moving the selector correctly when you move the shift lever. Maybe could even be an issue with the shift springs in there, but I think you'd have noticed that by now.
Beyond that, I'd try going back to the stock shifter assembly to see if the problem goes away.

#4 ·
It seems your issue is only in one direction (1,3,5). I would strongly suspect the shifter, or rather, what is just under it.

#5 ·
Shifter cables and bushings should be inspected. This would be the most likely cause based on the description.

Reactions: scottyrocks
#10 ·
Yes so I've changed the location 3 times and it won't save so yeah I'm in New York City.

So I changed the bushings there was no corrosion it was driving fine feeling great and now it happened again today in first gear. I'm going to look into shifter cables maybe that's the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.