9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago, I purchased my first car from a dealer...a used 2004 bmw 330ix. It was a great little car, but then the mechanic gremlins came knocking, and I saw just why owning a bmw is such a headache. Nonetheless, I was able to join a car club for BMW enthusiasts. Huge membership US wide. I was a member of the Golden Gate Chapter...and up until a month, I still was with my Honda Civic (they allow membership to non bmw owners). My question is...why aren't there any "mature" or "older peep" car clubs around like the BMW one? Perhaps the stigma that civics have as illegal street racing type cars and the people who drive them? I know that many people here are now full fledged adults and like to drive responsibly. I would just love to see a venue where like minded grownups could gather their vehicles, and legally rent out an airport or other venue and have recurring events like autocrossing and have some sort of point system for our cars. I wish I could be the head of such a project, but I'm so busy with full time work and family that I could only see myself doing this at a later point in life. Perhaps someone knows of other clubs I might join? For now, I resort to going to corvete clubs, or general car clubs, which are great in themselves, but just wish there was a club just for civics or more generalized towards imports. Am I making sense? Anyone else share these sentiments?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What always impresses me about the older crowd is how well organized they are. You will rarely ever find anyone not being safe, doing stupid stunts, and the coordination they have while on track events is super good. Perhaps I'll stick with these clubs until the current younger generation grows up a bit more and we can have similar clubs exclusively dedicated for our hondas.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
What always impresses me about the older crowd is how well organized they are. You will rarely ever find anyone not being safe, doing stupid stunts, and the coordination they have while on track events is super good. Perhaps I'll stick with these clubs until the current younger generation grows up a bit more and we can have similar clubs exclusively dedicated for our hondas.
When it comes to AutoX it should always be safety first not who has the loudest mufflers. I've been thinking of taking my Si to a AutoX too, nothing crazy not trying to outrun Corvettes but just to push it a little harder and have some fun in a safe and controlled environment.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I too would love to be a part of an older Civic club. I love to drive and love cars, but not I'm not into the younger Civic scene.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes to AutoX it should always be safety first not who has the loudest mufflers. I've been thinking of taking my Si to a AutoX too, nothing crazy not trying to outrun Corvettes but just to push it a little harder and have some fun in a safe and controlled environment.
Stop thinking and do it. The thrill of staging your car, waiting for the flag to start your run, gripping the wheel and focusing on every turn...it's just insane fun. Even "working" while at these events is fun. You get to see how others attack the course, and even learn a thing or two if they let you ride along with them (Do this if it's allowed!!)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Stop thinking and do it. The thrill of staging your car, waiting for the flag to start your run, gripping the wheel and focusing on every turn...it's just insane fun. Even "working" while at these events is fun. You get to see how others attack the course, and even learn a thing or two if they let you ride along with them (Do this if it's allowed!!)
I've thought about Autocross as well. I just don't want to spend the money on new tires and whatever else I destroy :)

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
I may or may not fall into your "older" demo (44), but I go against the grain with these thoughts.

To me, it's more about getting through traffic and getting home quickly versus doing stupid stunts. Other driver's contribute to this a well. It grinds my gears for someone to hold up the fast lane, so I usually end up going around everyone or attempting to :)

I guess it could be costrued as stupid stunts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You seem to be just like me (35). We like to go faster than normal, but we're not wreckless :). It also bothers me when any car is doing the "speed limit" in the fast lane...I always need to put a face to that driver as I pass them lol.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
38 here... and yes, like to go faster than normal (sometimes), but cautiously.

Reactions: Xtelotatichl

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I may or may not fall into your "older" demo (44), but I go against the grain with these thoughts.

To me, it's more about getting through traffic and getting home quickly versus doing stupid stunts. Other driver's contribute to this a well. It grinds my gears for someone to hold up the fast lane, so I usually end up going around everyone or attempting to :)

I guess it could be costrued as stupid stunts.
This!! +1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Xtelotatichl

·
I Need A Vacation
13,456 Posts
I too would love to be a part of an older Civic club. I love to drive and love cars, but not I'm not into the younger Civic scene.
The local 9thgen Civic club we have here has younger guys too but they're pretty mature so I don't mind the odd meetup but the 8thgen crowd is alot of kids with slammed cars and loud exhausts not my thing at all if I know the 8thgen guys are coming out to our meets I usually stay away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts