9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks!

Looks like a lot of people on this site are SI owners, but I'm the proud owner of a 2012 Civic Natural Gas! I traded in my 2009 Civic GX (which also ran on natural gas, but for some reason, Honda changed the badge from GX to "Natural Gas" for 2012). Before that, I had a 2001 Civic GX. What can I say? I just like being good for the environment!

I was a member of 8thgencivic.com, but now I'm trading up!

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
congrats! welcome to 9thgencivic

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hi! and welcome.

I must admit, as much as I am a Honda/ general car enthusiast who has knowledge on much of their line up and others- the Natural Gas vehicles is where I am a little ignorant.

I'd be interested in learning some...Can you share some info on some of the aspects of your vehicles? Mileage/Cost of Fuel and Fill, Maintenance, Engine Specs, Drivability and anything else that separates it from the crowd. I am fan of the environment too:3tens:

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
congrats on new ride...welcome to the site

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be more than happy to share the info! The tank is pretty small for a CNG - Honda says it's 8 gallons (by the way, we measure our gas in GGE or Gasoline Gallon Equivalent to compare somewhat apples to apples to regular gas cars), but due to temperature, you can really only get 6 GGE at a station. Some people fill up at home - you can get a hookup to the natural gas supply at your house! That's at a lower pressure, so it takes 6-8 hours to fill up, but you probably can get closer to the 8GGE.

CNG prices are great, but depend on the station. SoCalGas charges $1.98/GGE (yes, really) while Clean Energy is $2.74/GGE. Still way cheaper than regular gas. Depending on the fill pressure, I can get somewhere between 220-250 miles per tank. You average around 35-37 miles/GGE with the car.

It's a 1.8L inline 4 cylinder...not a whole lot of pep. I think Honda said your get around 110 HP - it's down from the 2009 which had a couple of more HP. However, it's still fun to drive and low maintenance. Still uses oil like any old car, and you do have to replace low and high pressure CNG fuel filters every so often. Although I'm not sure when for these new ones. My used 2001 had to get them replaced a lot, but I never did it on the 2009, so I guess we'll see!

I could tell you plenty more, so let me know if you want to hear more. Us GX folks have suffered a long time with the bare minimum...with the 2012, we actually get rear speakers! Yes, up until this year, only front speakers were included...oh the humanity!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've actually never heard of a natural gas civic before :blush:
Is this only available in the US? Because I've never seen natural gas available at Canadian gas stations either (at least not on the East coast) which would make it a little hard for fueling up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hello , its a "gas" to have you here on 9th gen civic. sorry i couldn't help it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, shocking that GX vehicles never got rear speaks but understandable from a cost/sales ratio I guess. Looks to be a pretty good value in terms of fuel costs. I could've hooked on of these up at my last place and had free fill ups -had a Natural Gas line on my balcony for a BBQ paid for by Strata LOL.

I am a huge fan of alternative fuel technologies - still a long way to go until we are non reliant on gasoline, to be honest I can't wait!

·
Registered
976 Posts
The natural gas civic has been around for like 10 years now. I`m surprised there are not more on the road in the states. They need to bring it to Canada. I know where I am, we have quite a few refilling stations, so the lack of fuel here is not a problem.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Cool. Natural gas is a great idea. Welcome. Got any pictures of the ride. Like to see what might be different on it compared to the rest of us.

Just stream of thought...$2.00/GGE-$3.00/GGE seems kinda high since it's trading for $2.00-$3.00 per MBtu (about 8 GGE equivalent). Must be nice to get an 1000% markup to sell to people to stick in their CNG cars ... Enter roadcourse political rant ... You don't see too many CNG cars - too much red tape and no infrastructure outside the LA area to get that going. Too bad. I personally think CNG cars are WAY better than those dumb battery thingys they call electric cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think in California the Natural Gas Civic is a carpool sticker on wheels. The price difference between a Natural Gas and an LX is substantial, especially with the premiums the dealers are demanding for the cars. An LX will sell for 17.5K now. The Natural gas, if you can possibly find one for MSRP will be 26.5K. Two fuel filters that need to be replaced often. One every 12k miles and the other every 30k miles. The combination runs about $250. Tank inspections every 30k miles run $125. If you need to replace a tank and you are out of warranty it will cost you $7000 ( yes 7 thousand). If you need a new pressure regulator it will cost $1800. Valve adjustments are recommended every 30k miles. Not a financial bottom line decision even with the low cost of fuel. However, thanks to all the early adopters who will hopefully pave the way for lower cost CNG vehicles which will be part of the longer term solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think in California the Natural Gas Civic is a carpool sticker on wheels.
Malibu is right - alternative fuel cars can get Clean Air decals that allow you to drive solo in the carpool lane in California. I've been taking advantage of that since 2004, but it's also nice not to be adding to the smog problem in LA.

The low and high fuel filters do need to get replaced, but I never replaced them at all on my 2009 which ended up having 29,500 miles on it. I'm not sure whether they just last longer on the newer models. I drove a 2001 model for 5 out of the 8 years it was around (the latter part of the 8 years) and never had any issues with the tank, so although they need to be inspected every 30,000 years, it does seem unlikely that you'll have to replace it.

I'll upload some pictures of my car, but they will seem very boring, I'm sure - it just looks like a regular Civic sedan, but with a CNG sticker and "Natural Gas" badge on the back. For the 2012 models, they removed the decals on the back doors that said "NGV" in big letters. Now, it pretty much looks like a regular Civic. These don't come in many colors, just white, cool mist, silver and the one I have, metallic gray.

To answer the other folks questions about location of these cars - I don't know whether you can get these in Canada, but they are all over the US, not just in California. The other forum I'm on, CNGChat.com has a bunch of people from the East Coast of the U.S. to the Midwest, Oklahoma and Texas and all over the West Coast who love to chat about their natural gas Civics (and other CNG cars).

In fact, there's a forum for people to share how far they've driven across the U.S. and where they stopped off for gas. It's quite interesting to see how far people have driven. There are several websites that you can locate alternative fuel stations and map out a roadtrip like Alternative Fuel Fill Stations and Prices and CNGPrices.com - Home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all ,congrats for your new car.It is great that you have got a vehicle which runs on natural gas because it is Eco-friendly and will help you to save some bucks as well.
cng tanks for sale

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the info! I think the time has come for these cars, as time goes the cost if ownership will come down, there popular in gov vehicles and soon will be mainstream I'm sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
First of all ,congrats for your new car.It is great that you have got a vehicle which runs on natural gas because it is Eco-friendly and will help you to save some bucks as well.
cng tanks for sale
hi jasongrover and welcum to 9th gen!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts