9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just as the title states, I experienced an issue that I had with my 2014 LX Automatic CVT sedan. I was going to work yesterday and decided to do a 360 check of all my lights. Everything looked good so I wanted to check my reverse lights as well. I put my car in gear, pulled the E-brake and when I let go of my foot brake I started rolling backwards. I'm a new driver so I'm still new to all this, but shouldn't the E-brake have kept me from rolling backwards? Some key factors that may have assisted was that I was on a hill with my engine on, but I've had the E-brake on before and trying to go forward with it engaged is impossible so why whould it allow me to go backwards??

Can anyone plese shine some light on my dilemma? Please and thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hmm I'm not sure about the rolling backwards part.

But I do know that if you turn your key to the "on" position and put it in reverse it will light up the bulbs lol. No need to potentially ghost drive your car and or do any damage.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,634 Posts
Did you just start the car? Was it at high-idle? Were you pointing even slightly nose-uphill? How hard did you pull up on the e-brake? All of these things, especially together, could contribute to your situation.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
better yet, find a strip mall with glass store fronts...and back up to the front door area...you can see tail lights, back-up lights and brake lights, all safely while in CONTROL of your vehicle.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,634 Posts
That's for sure. I do 4 to 6 and it holds just fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to count the clicks, but I'm sure it was more than 6. I had it at about a 45 degree angle. It works fine with stopping me from going forward, I was just surprised to see it going backwards while it was still engaged. What wheels does it "lock" anyway? The front or the back?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
rear wheels are to be locked if adjusted properly.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been doing a little research on parking brake adjusting and what I found on here actually surprised me. Why do the rear wheels wear out faster than the front? Whats the reason for that? If that's the case, then that might be my issue. I'll have to evaluate my rear brakes sometime soon.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've been doing a little research on parking brake adjusting and what I found on here actually surprised me.

Why do the rear wheels wear out faster than the front? Whats the reason for that?
If you're talking rear brakes wearing out before the front.
For the majority of Honda owners, such is not likely the case.

The exception would be if the driver applied the brakes very very lightly, and slowed over great distances.
The reason is the rear brakes are applied slightly before the front. This is to settle the rear of the car to minimize the chance of the rear stepping out to the side.
If the brakes are applied light enough, the rear brakes are doing the majority of the stopping. Therefore the rear shoes/pads would wear more quickly.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
i'm not up to speed anymore with modern brakes..but, back in the day and maybe still today, some cars that have rear disc brakes also have a small pair of drum brakes that are linked to the Emergency brake cable you pull up next to your seat. so, if those are worn out...your brakes will still work, and vice versa - another reason for the word 'emergency' brake or parking brake.

but like what teeps said...under normal circumstance, your rear brakes should never wear out faster than the fronts. many folks will replace 2 or 3 sets of front pads before replacing the stock set of rear brakes.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Manufacturers (Honda/Acura anyway) do not use the term "Emergency" when describing the hand operated, and now, I read, electronically actuated, parking brake.
Much the same, they stopped using the term "kill switch" in favor of "engine stop" switch on motorcycles.

In court or other legal kerfuffle, the words "kill" and "emergency" conjure up negative thoughts in people.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'll have to count the clicks, but I'm sure it was more than 6. I had it at about a 45 degree angle. It works fine with stopping me from going forward, I was just surprised to see it going backwards while it was still engaged. What wheels does it "lock" anyway? The front or the back?

A 45 degree angle is EXTREMELY steep. I can only think of one road in a 50 mile radius of me that would have something remotely close to 45 degrees.

This is what a 45 degree hill looks like :) I don't think my parking brake would hold either.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A 45 degree angle is EXTREMELY steep. I can only think of one road in a 50 mile radius of me that would have something remotely close to 45 degrees.

This is what a 45 degree hill looks like :) I don't think my parking brake would hold either.
Im pretty sure he meant he had the parking brake pulled up to a 45 degree angle..

Reactions: teamrubixcube

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,634 Posts
Im pretty sure he meant he had the parking brake pulled up to a 45 degree angle..
Dang. Parking at a 45 degree angle would have gone a long way towards solving the problem. haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, that's what I meant. I actually counted the clicks and I'm definitely pulling it more that 6 clicks. I'll need to change the oil sometime soon so maybe I'll go to a local car service place and do an oil change +, just to be absolutely certain that everything is as it should be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.