9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think im in the right category here for off topic. Im still young as heck and looking to soon become a store manager but iknow ive got some reading and podcast listening to do to attain the many skills a GOOD manager has. Well i was wondering if some of the more-experienced-in-life folks in this community could recommend a book or two covering leadership and team building that helped you in a leadership role. Any comment is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I think im in the right category here for off topic. Im still young as heck and looking to soon become a store manager but iknow ive got some reading and podcast listening to do to attain the many skills a GOOD manager has. Well i was wondering if some of the more-experienced-in-life folks in this community could recommend a book or two covering leadership and team building that helped you in a leadership role. Any comment is appreciated.
If you only read one book make it: "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. It's based on factual research and historical data on what worked and what didn't, not necessarily opinions. Strive to be a leader, not a manager. By definition, "manager" is self-limiting. Also, IF making more money is important to you, get out of retail asap. There ya go!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I was told to run the business as if it was yours. People buy things from people, the name on the building isn't as important as the service they get. I've had customers follow me from shop to shop until I quit working on cars. Also build a team carefully. I know being short handed sucks, but getting someone in there who isn't worth a damn doesn't really help in the long run. Most importantly, and a no brainer, but treat people how you'd like to be treated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, hopefully ill be reading Good to Great soon.

"Most importantly, and a no brainer, but treat people how you'd like to be treated."

A great reminder here, sometimes i forget and end up looking like an a**.
I appreciate all your thoughts, feels good to get some info from experienced folk outside of work.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Thanks, hopefully ill be reading Good to Great soon.

"Most importantly, and a no brainer, but treat people how you'd like to be treated."

A great reminder here, sometimes i forget and end up looking like an a**.
I appreciate all your thoughts, feels good to get some info from experienced folk outside of work.
You ought to take a personality profile such as DISC from a qualified source. DISC is non-judgmental but will give you some insight as to why you do what you do and how to communicate more effectively with other people. Not knowing these things leaves blind spots you'll learn about the long and hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts