9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my Si for exactly 1 year now. I love the car, but do have a lot of the issues many members here talk about. I do have the popping in the driver seat, the trunk area does make a squeaking sound at low speeds, and noticed a chipped paint after washing my car yesterday. I can deal with all these issues.

However, a recent problem that came up is what I'm most concerned about. Hopefully you guys can diagnose this problem. The Si has 22k miles. Couple weeks ago I noticed that I'm getting a slight grinding sound when at a complete stop or going up a hill I add a little extra gas in 1st gear and holding in the clutch a little longer to get going. It does not make the grinding noise when I just let go of the clutch right away. I've done this many times. No issues up till couple weeks ago. Is this a problem with the clutch or some other issues? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Bento

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Hmmm. Is a fluttering noise or a grinding noise? Because I've had this issue (or similar) with my old car and it ended up being a bad oil lifter that was fluttering causing a sort or grinding-ish sound coming from the engine...that sound can easily be mistaken for grinding, it wasn't until I had my buddy duplicate the noise as I hovered over the engine, only to realize it was more of a fluttering sound...and just like you, I'd only hear it in first when I'd release the clutch slowly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have this problem in my SI.. Ive had it for a year and also has 22k miles on it. The noise I hear is a grinding/rubbing noise and happens randomly but under the same situation. The noise doesn't sound as rough as when you grind the gears. It only happens when I'm at a complete stop, the car is in first gear with clutch in and when I balance out the clutch and gas to start the roll. I can shift through all the gears smoothly though with no grinds. Sometimes its louder than other times but either way it makes me cringe every time I hear it. I took it to the dealer on Monday and they called Honda tech line because they didn't know where the sound was coming from so they kept my car till Tuesday because Honda tech line didn't respond till then and Honda tech line told them to replace the clutch assembly. I haven't had time to go back because of work. But I plan to take the car in next Monday for the repair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have this problem in my SI.. Ive had it for a year and also has 22k miles on it. The noise I hear is a grinding/rubbing noise and happens randomly but under the same situation. The noise doesn't sound as rough as when you grind the gears. It only happens when I'm at a complete stop, the car is in first gear with clutch in and when I balance out the clutch and gas to start the roll. I can shift through all the gears smoothly though with no grinds. Sometimes its louder than other times but either way it makes me cringe every time I hear it. I took it to the dealer on Monday and they called Honda tech line because they didn't know where the sound was coming from so they kept my car till Tuesday because Honda tech line didn't respond till then and Honda tech line told them to replace the clutch assembly. I haven't had time to go back because of work. But I plan to take the car in next Monday for the repair.
Wow! How weird is that? Same exact problem, with same amount of miles, a year old, and pretty much in the same area. I've pretty much changed how I drive just so I don't hear that noise. Makes me feel like an amateur. I really look forward to what your outcome is. Please keep me updated. I won't have time to take my car in till the next service(30% oil life). Which Honda dealer did you take it in for this issue? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow! How weird is that? Same exact problem, with same amount of miles, a year old, and pretty much in the same area. I've pretty much changed how I drive just so I don't hear that noise. Makes me feel like an amateur. I really look forward to what your outcome is. Please keep me updated. I won't have time to take my car in till the next service(30% oil life). Which Honda dealer did you take it in for this issue? Thanks for your input.
I took it to norm reeves honda in cerritos. When I picked my car up they told me another si came in with the same problem.. I don't know the miles or anything on that one though but I will post the results when I get mine fixed

·
Registered
197 Posts
I took my car to Norm Reeves in Cerritos today to get the clutch assembly replaced (flywheel, friction disc, pressure disc, bushing, bearing and transmission fluid) everything was covered under warranty. I haven't heard the grinding noise since they replaced everything and hopefully I don't hear it for a very very long time..lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm having the same issue, took it to the dealer and they didn't hear it. Told me to come back when it gets worse. Started at about 20,000 miles. Next time i go up there i will let them know numerous owners are having this issue starting in first on a hill

K24Z7 Crew Member #45.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm having the same issue, took it to the dealer and they didn't hear it. Told me to come back when it gets worse. Started at about 20,000 miles. Next time i go up there i will let them know numerous owners are having this issue starting in first on a hill

K24Z7 Crew Member #45.
Mine didnt just happen on a hill, it would happen on level ground as well... The mechanic heard the noise when I first took my car in for this issue. Maybe what you can try is you drive the car with the mechanic in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the update. Glad they were able to get this problem fixed and that your car is running good now. I will definitely be taking my car in to Norm Reeves for my next service and to also get this problem fixed. Who was your service advisor? How long did it take to complete the work?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My service advisor was the first time i took it in was sergio. Today i dealt with anthony who is a real cool guy who owns a 8th gen mugen.. I dropped it off at 8am and it was done around 2 but thats because I called them at 2 to check on the progress and they said it was done.. So im not sure exactly how long it took to fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts