9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2014 Civic to the shop for a transmission flush a few weeks ago, because it was slightly overdue and I had a trip coming up. Since then, the car has felt...different. It hasn't been making any noises or anything and its still responsive when I drive, but it feels like something is wrong. I have no idea what fluid the shop used, but I'm assuming it wasn't the OEM Honda stuff. Am I just being overly paranod, is my car just grumpy about the wrong fluid, or is this possibly a symptom of a transmission issue?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Using the incorrect fluid will cause absolute trash trans shifts. I’d bet they used the generic atf fluid hopefully it’s not the cvt which is even more specific.

if you noticed worse shifts instantly after the fluid change its either low or wrong fluid. I just changed the wife’s Golf R dsg trans fluid and the car shifts noticeably better and firmer shifts different platform yes but it should not feel worse.

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,017 Posts
You said, 'the shop.' If it is an independent shop, the chance is that most likely they used a non-Honda brand. Honda transes do best with Honda fluids, as many here will attest to.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
2014 Civic has a CVT.
Yes. A 2014 Honda CVT needs genuine 08200-HCF2 fluid.
OP if "the shop" did not use the correct fluid... good luck.
Though too late now; NEVER do a "flush" on any automatic transmission, especially a Honda CVT.
Drain and fill as recommended by Honda is all that is necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2014 Civic has a CVT.
Yes. A 2014 Honda CVT needs genuine 08200-HCF2 fluid.
OP if "the shop" did not use the correct fluid... good luck.
Though too late now; NEVER do a "flush" on any automatic transmission, especially a Honda CVT.
Drain and fill as recommended by Honda is all that is necessary.

What would be the best course of action now? Take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
What would be the best course of action now? Take it to a dealer?
Find out exactly what "the shop" put in it.
If not the HCF2.
Probably going to a dealer or someone that will actually use the right fluid.
Then do a drain & fill at least 2 times with a short test drive between the D&F.
My guess on cost for this around $300. Depending on dealer labor rate for your area.

Also it can be helpful to know what city/state you are located.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm working through a drain-refill regimen for a "new to the family" 2014 Civic LX.

We went through a lot of internet scouring, and pretty much the best CVT fluid is Honda HCF-2.

As much as I love AmSOil Sig Series ATF for my Odyssey (we tow with it, 220,000+ hard miles), I rank the Honda OEM CVTF as tops for these 2014+ Civics.

The 2014 Civic CVT holds 6.1 quarts of CVTF. Draining yields, typically, 3.6 quarts. Draining and refilling twice will leave you with about 84% new fluid (this is why @Teeps strategy is a good one). Like he says, test drive between drain-refill events. If it drives well after the second one, you should be okay.

If, in the unlikely event you feel you have to opt for a third drain-refill due to any lingering issue, by then you'll have over 93% new CVTF. That's a solid result, and it should be running as well as it did before all of this.

OF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts