9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this horrible rattle that has been there for over a year. I cant for the life of me find where its coming from. It either doesn't do it at all or its super loud. I have taken all the dash and surrounding areas of basically and still cant pinpoint it. It seems to be around the fusebox area but the sound may be misleading. I cant even tell if its plastic on plastic or plastic on metal or what.

Ruled out
door
pillar
dash cover
cover were hood latch is
Vent area
Window

I have attached 2 videos, first one is with most of the pieces off. The second is most of the stuff back on

HELP!

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
Had you done any work on your car when it started?

I had a rattle coming from my drivers door panel, but it was only noticeable at around 45-60mph so what I did was apply firm pressure with my hand around where I felt/heard it was coming from, just moving my hand inches at a time until the rattle went away. Turns out the outer molding along my window wasn't sitting properly. I had just replaced all of them though. I just pushed down on it and it went away.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
have you checked the fan? blower motor fan? just a thought. i know its on the passenger side of the car, but sound reverberates....and the ductwork can act like a speaker for it.

and, it wouldn't hurt to check it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It started around the same time I installed my sub, so the amp wire, but its 100% not that. its super tight and theirs no play Its the first thing I checked. it IS temperature dependent.. The sounds not coming from the duct. I've moved and pushed everything in the door, dash, under dash. cant find it

·
Photoshop Masta
2,746 Posts
It started around the same time I installed my sub, so the amp wire, but its 100% not that. its super tight and theirs no play Its the first thing I checked. it IS temperature dependent.. The sounds not coming from the duct. I've moved and pushed everything in the door, dash, under dash. cant find it
The material used in the dash components will expand and contract in extreme cold & heat. When it drops below 45 degrees here in Cali (not often) the front pillars where the tweeters are will rub against the dash and it's very loud, but once it warms up slightly that sound goes away completely.

But yours sounds more like metal not plastic.

What I would check next:
  • Firewall: Check lines coming in and going out. Even inside the hood.
  • Cluster & iMid display

1 - 6 of 6 Posts