9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 867 Posts

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
kewl...so it should be out soon. But, normally H & R Springs are alot lower like 1.75 to 2 inch drop...wonder why these are only 1.5 inch drop?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
The Si NEEDS coilovers... springs won't do what this car requires. I'd like Eibach Springs with a 1.5" to a 1.75" drop along with Bilstein Sports as shocks..but I doubt Bilstein will build shocks for this car. I had Bilstein Sports along with Eibachs on my previously owned 2003 Ep3 Si and it handled INSANE.. 1.2g. Just springs is a no no.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i asked my dealer if it would void my warranty to change the suspension and he said it would definately not, but he said i might run into problems if i do it the cheap way and just replace springs and not the struts and sway bar (maybe he said different parts here, i forget), but does anyone else have and opinion on this?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i asked my dealer if it would void my warranty to change the suspension and he said it would definately not, but he said i might run into problems if i do it the cheap way and just replace springs and not the struts and sway bar (maybe he said different parts here, i forget), but does anyone else have and opinion on this?
The idea is that, as long as you upgrade in quality from the OEM parts, it does not void any warranty.

On topic: Usually between any after market spring/struts are produced, it has been tested on a car already. So call them directly and ask them about the report of the car they tested on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
but im saying to do a spring upgrade, should you change struts aswell?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
but im saying to do a spring upgrade, should you change struts aswell?
Being new to 2012 Civic I can't say how it will turn out. But in the past 6 years, 80% of OEM struts/shocks give out when you use lowering springs. When do they give out? Well that depends on how stiff the springs and lowered you are. But usually in a time frame of 7months to 2 years. Of course if your strust/shocks are old already and it give out sooner. You can say the lowering springs decrease the lifespan by % of lower your are. They are just not built for that kind of pressure. Usually people get KYB or other aftermarket performance parts to negate this.

Ultimately it's your gamble if you want but the chances are high if its going to go out unless your lowering not significantly and the stiffness is the same if not more than the OEM springs. But if that the case might as well go all the way and do it right the first time.

Also, coilover is the easiest way out due to multi adjustments are able to be made, but also the most costly.

1 - 20 of 867 Posts