9th Gen Civic Forum banner

841 - 860 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Appearance is an amazing improvement over stock. The ride is a little bit bouncier and not as stiff as OEM. The overall ride quality is excellent and I like that I can absorb a bit of the imperfections in the road now rather than just riding harshly over them. I have no noise issues at all since everything was lubricated and anti-seized during the installation. Just waiting for them to settle, so that I can get an alignment and put the new shoes on! :D

IMG_1347.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had mine installed today. I do have quite a bit of noise. Seems like constant bumping from the front during normal driving and normal road conditions. Is this a settling issue that will go away or do I need to go back to the shop tomorrow?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the H&R springs and I ordered the part number 51890 thinking that would be part that fits my 2015 Civic Si Sedan but the springs themselves have 51891 labeled on them. Should I return the springs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just ordered these H&R yesterday, looking to get them installed sometime this week! Will post update!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Does anyone happen to know what the actual difference is between the 51890 and the 51890-2? H&R won't tell me including if the spring rates are even different.

I bought mine from the tire rack. They where like $210 shipped. The part number for the sedan is 51890 and for the coupe its 51891. Keep that in mind if you order from amazon or eBay. If its a 51890-2 or 51891-2 then that means they are for the basic non-si models.

Anyways.. The springs ride great, you can definitely feel small bumps more than before. It makes the car feel like a proper sports car. With the stock springs it felt more like a luxury sedan.

The springs will make your rear camber -2.0 to -2.3 your front camber will still be within specs at about -1.3, -1.6 This changes the handling charactericstics a little bit, it helps turn in and eliminates a little understeer. (To completely eliminate understeer you will need more camber in the front and a thicker rear sway bar)

It is very important to get it aligned so that you set your toe to zero. If it is not it will kill your tires.

-2.0 to -.2.3 camber in the rear will affect tire wear a little but if you ROTATE your tires every 3k-5k miles you will NOT need camber arms. they should wear even.

Here's some pics View attachment 276489 View attachment 276481

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just ordered the H&R springs and I ordered the part number 51890 thinking that would be part that fits my 2015 Civic Si Sedan but the springs themselves have 51891 labeled on them. Should I return the springs?
I would if you ordered them new. The 51891 is Si coupe. I accidentally ordered the 51890-2 which is for a sedan, but not an Si like I have. Fack. I called H&R and they can't even tell me if there IS a difference. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just to help anyone else out that may have this question in the future. I had to trick the H&R support guy (WAY nicer and easier to work with than the woman I spoke with last week...) into telling him that I had a different part number spring on the spring itself than the part number on the box. He confirmed that ALL H&R Sport springs for all 2012-2015 Civics (sedans, coupes, Si's, non Si's) all have the identical springs with the same spring rates. That's why we see so many folks have different part number springs in their boxes vs what's actually on the box. As long as you have springs that are 51890 or 51891 on the spring itself and you have a F (L), F (R), R(L) and R(R) spring you are good to go.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Its coilbind/improper installation. Even if you think you did it right and followed instructions you still probably did it wrong. This is why I paid RickSpecd for the install on my springs lol because I didn't want to risk the frustration
What would be improper about the installation? The spring isolators can really only go one way and the even have little tabs so they are installed in the correct orientation. From what I'm seeing it would be really difficult to screw up the install.

Edit: It actually looks like some folks have issues where the coils of the actual springs make contact and make some noise. So not an installation issue, more of a spring design issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just had mine installed today. I do have quite a bit of noise. Seems like constant bumping from the front during normal driving and normal road conditions. Is this a settling issue that will go away or do I need to go back to the shop tomorrow?
I installed mine as well and after two days of driving I'm in the same boat. This thing rides pretty rough and is bouncier than I was expecting, not in a good way. I've used H&R springs in the past and loved them, but so far not so good. I think a lot of it probably has to do with the stock shocks and struts. Truharts are going to be on my list sooner than later to try and help with the poor ride quality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can anyone provide some pictures of the drop of the OE Sport springs?

·
Registered
249 Posts
H&R's, stock shocks

Attachments

Reactions: nothome17

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did mine last night after work. Will be getting rear camber arms soon. Should have done this 3 years ago lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
i recently bought H&R lowering springs for my civic sedan LXI FB7 1.6 L here in egypt , i ordered non SI 51890-2
it came to me 51891 ( si coupe 2014) , i called emailed tech support manager e said there the same , and it should fit perfectly no problems !!
the american site says 51890-2 fits NON-SI only !!
the german site says 51891 it fits non SI and Si models
its only logic that it doesn't fit because obviously the 2.4 L Si engine is heavier ?
so who should i believe here?

one of the top managers replied to me by email confirming about all being the same
i really cant explain why confuse customers with all different model numbers all having the same technical specs and i am starting to question their credibility and reliability of manufacturing these items as i am sure SI Coupe and Sedan have at least some differences regarding Dimensions and weight

i just hope H&R springs for civics dont turn out to be the same for VWs also , or worse having a single springs for all makes and models !!!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
i recently bought H&R lowering springs for my civic sedan LXI FB7 1.6 L here in egypt , i ordered non SI 51890-2
it came to me 51891 ( si coupe 2014) , i called emailed tech support manager e said there the same , and it should fit perfectly no problems !!
the american site says 51890-2 fits NON-SI only !!
the german site says 51891 it fits non SI and Si models
its only logic that it doesn't fit because obviously the 2.4 L Si engine is heavier ?
so who should i believe here?

one of the top managers replied to me by email confirming about all being the same
i really cant explain why confuse customers with all different model numbers all having the same technical specs and i am starting to question their credibility and reliability of manufacturing these items as i am sure SI Coupe and Sedan have at least some differences regarding Dimensions and weight

i just hope H&R springs for civics dont turn out to be the same for VWs also , or worse having a single springs for all makes and models !!!!!
It's not possible to make a single spring for all makes and models, they wouldn't fit other cars. If it's true that a spring designed for any 9th gen model can fit any other, then it would make sense for them to just produce one single spring rate. If you want a spring rate adjusted for your specific car's weight then maybe springs aren't for you. If these tiny tuning differences matter you should probably invest in some quality coils and take it to a shop that knows how to dial in a suspension perfectly. But if you're just driving on the street you're never going to notice these fine details and the H&R springs will do just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not possible to make a single spring for all makes and models, they wouldn't fit other cars. .
just being sarcastic !

anyway i was just frustrated with the list of model numbers turning out to be the same product , its a bit of a fraud if u know what i mean , giving an illusion of many customized choices.

841 - 860 of 867 Posts