9th Gen Civic Forum banner

861 - 867 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
just being sarcastic !

anyway i was just frustrated with the list of model numbers turning out to be the same product , its a bit of a fraud if u know what i mean , giving an illusion of many customized choices.
I'd extend a little more charity to H&R. We don't know why they would list the springs separately. Maybe it's done for some administrative reason, or maybe it's just easier for customers to enter their specific model so they know they can use the spring. If it was just listed as "Civic" a certain number of Si owners might assume it doesn't apply to them and overlook it or vice versa. I don't think they're trying to give people the illusion of choices when its presented in a way that makes you believe the other springs aren't viable choices for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok , so me being the first time to install lowering springs , what improvements should i expect over those OEMS and what to look out for that may mean that they aren't suitable for the vehicle ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My springs arrived and of course , the stance was perfect .. it gave the car a new look and came down to a finger btween the fender and the tyre top .
As regarding handling , improved about 15-20%
After a week of nausea .. driving below 30 mph ... feeling every inch of sand and pebbles with exaggerated bumpy driving i suffered severe back pain , i went to the doctor and he said it was lower back muscle sprain
i removed them and now im back to comfortable driving in peace
is that normal for H&R springs .. i basically hate the brand now and i cant believe anyone who gets lowering springs had to suffer like i did ...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well it would help if you gave us some more information. Did you change shocks and struts or did you stay factory? If you are factory how many miles are on said shocks and struts? If you put lowering springs on shocks and struts with 100k miles yea that car is not going to ride right.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My springs arrived and of course , the stance was perfect .. it gave the car a new look and came down to a finger btween the fender and the tyre top .
After a week of nausea .. driving below 30 mph ... feeling every inch of sand and pebbles with exaggerated bumpy driving i suffered severe back pain , i went to the doctor and he said it was lower back muscle sprain
is that normal for H&R springs .. i basically hate the brand now and i cant believe anyone who gets lowering springs had to suffer like i did ...
There are probably thousands of people that are running a lowering spring on a 9th Gen Civic including myself. I love the way the car rides on the H&R springs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
These springs are functional; their stiffness is their selling point. They're a good spring when paired to a decent damper for aggressive mountain road carving and some light, casual autocross. These aren't springs you get if you just want to look low and cruise around parking lots. There are softer lowering springs out there if all you want is to look low.

But honestly, in the scheme of things these are still a relatively soft spring rate. I've driven many cars with OEM setups that are much stiffer than these springs. Unless you have a debilitating back condition I can't imagine a properly installed H&R Spring giving you this much grief. I drive over ruined pavement all the time, and yes it's not as supple as the stock setup, but it's hardly punishing and the springs feel like taurus springs compared to say an M2.

Did you install the springs yourself? If not, did you bother to troubleshoot to see if the shop you used made a mistake during their install?

Lastly, I understand you're frustrated, but its very off putting when your first instinct is to blame and disparage others.

i basically hate the brand now and i cant believe anyone who gets lowering springs had to suffer like i did ...
This is because we don't. There's clearly an error made here, and it's improbable that it's an error with H&R's manufacturing. I'd guess either there was an installation error, or you bought a product that didn't suit your needs, ie the spring was stiffer than what you wanted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
These springs are functional; their stiffness is their selling point. They're a good spring when paired to a decent damper for aggressive mountain road carving and some light, casual autocross. These aren't springs you get if you just want to look low and cruise around parking lots. There are softer lowering springs out there if all you want is to look low.

But honestly, in the scheme of things these are still a relatively soft spring rate. I've driven many cars with OEM setups that are much stiffer than these springs. Unless you have a debilitating back condition I can't imagine a properly installed H&R Spring giving you this much grief. I drive over ruined pavement all the time, and yes it's not as supple as the stock setup, but it's hardly punishing and the springs feel like taurus springs compared to say an M2.

Did you install the springs yourself? If not, did you bother to troubleshoot to see if the shop you used made a mistake during their install?

Lastly, I understand you're frustrated, but its very off putting when your first instinct is to blame and disparage others.

This is because we don't. There's clearly an error made here, and it's improbable that it's an error with H&R's manufacturing. I'd guess either there was an installation error, or you bought a product that didn't suit your needs, ie the spring was stiffer than what you wanted.
i said in previous posts that after i got different a model number for my car i contacted HR germany and they told me that all 9 gen civics have the same spring but different model numbers
i installed the springs at the main headquarters of our city's branch of honda service center , and he asked me about removing the rubber bushings i told him no but he just replaced the OEMs with the H&Rs
we did a test drive with a chief engineer at honda ( my friend)
my car has done 50k miles
i tried my car on a normal road , believe me the bump is exaggerated like on normal springs on a small bump i could hold a cup of water , with H&R i could spill the water out of the cup
im not talking about ruined pavement and pot holes
im talking about mild elevations and decents on the road with your head reaching near the ceiling
my car is not sold in USA
its an FB7 2014 civic LXI sedan
im not being harsh , i have no chronic back problems ..the H&Rs were just pure shit , at least for my car.

861 - 867 of 867 Posts