9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two small issues with My new CIVIC 2012 EX-L:

1- The key is rather hot when I take it out of the ignition (is that normal?)

2- I think the factory alignment on my vehicle was not done well therefore my vehicle is swaying to the left a little and @ 65-75 MPH the steering shakes a tad bit.

I would sincerely appreciate your feedback and suggestions regarding:

a. why the key is hot and is it normal
b. Is the alignment covered on my new civic

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
The key shouldn't be hot...

Either way, take it back to the dealer for a check up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
How long have you had the car? I would think so that the alignment should be covered since it's so new unless you hit it out of alignment somehow and there's visible signs. If so, then they'd give you hassle.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
You know whats weird...after reading this yesterday, i drove to the supermarket last night after work, and when i removed the key from ignition it was indeed warm.
Not hot, but warm. I'm not going to freak out about it, ill keep it in the back of my mind in case more people complain about it.
How long is your key in the ignition to make it hot? mine was in the ignition about 20 minutes or so...just to compare.

Whats "hot" to you?...like did it burn your hand, or just noticeably warm? not knocking on you, but that could make a serious difference if you had a real hot key it could be a legit issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps, I did not factor the 98 degree heat! It certainly does not burn but the heat produced by this key supersedes that of any other vehicle I have driven.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long have you had the car? I would think so that the alignment should be covered since it's so new unless you hit it out of alignment somehow and there's visible signs. If so, then they'd give you hassle.
I have owned the vehicle for a little over a month but I was told that the alignment may have not been done properly from the factory and this is not unheard of with new cars-According to my local wheel alignment people (not Honda). I shall be visiting the Honda dealership in the next few days and update all of you!

-Thanks for all your time!

·
Registered
70 Posts
How many miles have you driven so far? If a lot, then they might claim you hit a curb or pot hole or something to make the alignment off. But, if you bought the car say not too long ago and all of a sudden you realize you have a pull, then they might do an alignment under warranty. Sometimes, it could be the tires... if you try swapping the front tires and the pull goes towards the opposite direction then its definitely a tire issue.

The vibration @ highway speed could be a bent rim or misbalanced tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be anything let the dealer check it out as long you haven't hit the wheels in anyway.
I have had it over a month now (This is my first Honda, so I hope it lasts).

The key is supposed to be warm because the transponder chip connects to the ignition column that heats it up (according to the dealership). It may be hot due to the excessive heat outside (114 deg F)

The cars wheels were rotated but it still goes to the left a at higher speeds but not lower speeds. I am rather unhappy with their quick diagnosis and lack of testing whether the problem was solved at the dealership. They are compensated by Honda to fix problems but I am going to get it checked elsewhere and then complain when I get the actual problem documented.

I am thinking it is balance issue or alignment (least likely though).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm not surprised with how the dealer just assumed something and rushed through it. They did the same thing to my wife the other day. Even though Honda compensates them, they dont want to bother with cars and warranty issues unless they can make huge profits off of something right away. Repairs, oil changes, etc..
One thing I did like about having my previous Mazda 3 was the service I got at the dealer. All but 1 time they did everything they should have with no issues.
If they didnt even check the balance or alignment you could call Honda themselves and complain to them about how you were treated and your dealer did almost nothing. Call your dealers district manager and complain to them, or try going to another dealer and see if you get anywhere and if they do liek you said document it and then complain.
If they rotated the tires and its still pulling the same way it sounds like the alignments off IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not surprised with how the dealer just assumed something and rushed through it. They did the same thing to my wife the other day. Even though Honda compensates them, they dont want to bother with cars and warranty issues unless they can make huge profits off of something right away. Repairs, oil changes, etc..
One thing I did like about having my previous Mazda 3 was the service I got at the dealer. All but 1 time they did everything they should have with no issues.
If they didnt even check the balance or alignment you could call Honda themselves and complain to them about how you were treated and your dealer did almost nothing. Call your dealers district manager and complain to them, or try going to another dealer and see if you get anywhere and if they do liek you said document it and then complain.
If they rotated the tires and its still pulling the same way it sounds like the alignments off IMO.
-I can only get the car checked during the weekdays (it's hard to get time off work) and I guess here in Indianapolis the dealers service dept. have so much demand that they just don't care. I was looking into many cars before buying this CIVIC EX-L but Toyota and Nissan were just too expensive for the components and there were fewer cars on the market (partly due to the Tsunami and supply adjustment that in turn drove up the prices of used cars). I got the vehicle for less than a 2012 EX and did extensive research (market resale value and mechanical). I like the MAZDA-3 and it's resale value is also picking up. I will just get the alignment taken care of at some other store because I just don't want to throw away my time (also money) for them adjust the alignment issue that they wont acknowledge exists. I appreciate your response though and I might just contact HONDA later next week.

·
Registered
896 Posts
-I can only get the car checked during the weekdays (it's hard to get time off work) and I guess here in Indianapolis the dealers service dept. have so much demand that they just don't care. I was looking into many cars before buying this CIVIC EX-L but Toyota and Nissan were just too expensive for the components and there were fewer cars on the market (partly due to the Tsunami and supply adjustment that in turn drove up the prices of used cars). I got the vehicle for less than a 2012 EX and did extensive research (market resale value and mechanical). I like the MAZDA-3 and it's resale value is also picking up. I will just get the alignment taken care of at some other store because I just don't want to throw away my time (also money) for them adjust the alignment issue that they wont acknowledge exists. I appreciate your response though and I might just contact HONDA later next week.
Sounds like us. Only 1 day in the whole week works for us. My wife takes the car for her job 45 mins from our house and I am lucky and get to work from home so we only have the 1 car. I could drive her to work but that would just use more gas with 2 more trips. My last dealer offered a shuttle service and the Honda dealer does as well, but the difference is they will only drive you within 5 miles and only until 1pm. With that 99% of the people never use it.
The Mazda 3's private resale value has picked up a bit, but the trade in values are still crap. Not as bad as they used to be since all trade in values are up, but still lower then they should be for it.
I forgot to mention that Honda has a customer care page where you can ask questions and get answers on Twitter....if you have an account there. They respond pretty quickly.
Anyways hope you get your situation fixed without to much hassle. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
this might be completely off, but could it possibly be torque steer since it is a fwd car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a very plausible observation except that torque steer would most probably occur during spurs of acceleration either from a dead stop or while in momentum (sometimes due to Unequal drive-shaft length, not likely here though). If you were to look at a toque curve (graph), you would see that RPMS are a function of Torque (that is why ELECTIC CARS have amazing constant torque curves), and when the car has reached a rolling momentum, the curve levels down gradually (I am more within the leveling phase when on the highway).

Nevertheless, I would not rule it out therefore I shall keep it in mind because I am not an engineer and I dont know as much about vehicle as they do. I sincerely appreciate your response!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Power Steering

This was the problem from the day I purchased it (this was my first car @ the age of 24):
I drive my civic about 60 miles a day and I have noticed that the power steering is not too responsive at times!
Another thing I noticed after purchasing this car is that the steering wheel is very numb and the handling of the vehicle is not as free (thus not sensitive).
When I am driving on the high-way I feel a little vibration in the wheel when I am merging into lanes (banking or turning). The alignment and balance was just done and it checked out ok!

Please HELP me by providing suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

-Ram

·
Registered
976 Posts
Could be your power steering pump. I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
All new civics are electric power steering. Might take a bit of getting used to. But there might be an issue with the eps system, so I would take it back to be sure everything is ok.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a vibration in my car, 90-95kph, its going in for a window seal on Monday so I'm telling them to check the balance on at least the front wheels, I see it more than feel it, my iPhone screen starts vibrating, can hardy read it, kinda an issue if I'm using my GPS app...anyone else feeling any vibrations?

1 - 20 of 193 Posts