9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a unique issue that I cannot seem to figure out and the dealer hasn't been any help.

I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon. I have it paired to my Bluetooth and HandsFree Link on my 2012 Si coupe, and it works great for the music and for hands free calling.

To dial, I almost always have to use my phone and fiddle through menus because when I hit the "Phone" button on my head unit, it doesn't allow me to select "Dial" "Phonebook" or any of those options, which is maddeningly infuriating to me, as that is the whole point of "hands free". I can still use Voice Tags and such, and the Phonebook and Dial options become available while I'm at a stop or parked, but that's pointless.

But what's weird is...sometimes when I'm driving, it DOES let me use the Phonebook and Dial options through the UI and the car's Phone menu.

Am I the only one having this problem? Has anyone else had it and found a way to make it work 100% of the time, because this is an awful interface if it is indeed meant to work the way I'm experiencing it. Any advice is encouraged.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just doesn't make sense to me as to why it would be. When selecting music from your iPod, you have to use the scroll wheel in the center to scroll through hundreds of albums/artists (which is annoying too)..why shouldn't you be able to use it for your Phonebook?

I'll check the owners manual today and see what I can't figure out - I'm pretty good with tech stuff, but I wanted to post this on here as it sometimes takes people awhile to respond to threads on this forum.

Thank you for your quick response - does yours do this too?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use my iPod for music too.. I have it in the armrest though, and I've never taken it out while driving.. I just use the nav screen to go through the artists/albums/songs etc.

I think it's programmed to how people use their devices now... Radio is quite free with fiddling with which is why you can use the nav to go through songs etc.. but phone is partially disabled during motion, to keep with the 'hands-free' aspect.. if you are dialing numbers or scrolling though pages of names on the nav.. thats no really 'hands-free' anymore..

the voice commands are quite good.. for dialling numbers, and setting preset names to numbers.. you might just have to get used to using it.

I might check the booklets too tonight.. see exactly what should be working/disabled during motion/stopped.

I do already have alot of the voice stuff setup, and it really is good once used to more of its full potential.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Nav unit on my 2010 EX-L, and it allowed me to dial using a name or a phone number through the voice command, but it only lets you use Voice Tags to use voice commands - you can't dial numbers using the voice command without navigation which I was really disgruntled to find. I wonder if it's a nav only feature.

I went on the Honda Handsfree website and found this for the Verizon iPhone 4 (iOS 5):

"There have been some reports of Bluetooth connection instability. To help ensure a reliable connection, turn off wi-fi, occasionally power off the iPhone and power ON, or unpair from both the phone and system and re-pair."

I do usually have my wi-fi on so maybe that's it. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 4s but have never used Siri for that but it comes in handy to read your SMS and iMessages to you.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No luck trying what I found on their website above.

What irks me is that it sometimes does allow me to access my Phone book and Dial from the car's menu WHILE in motion. Which is it going to be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts