9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a problem on my Civic, when the car is "cold" engaging the 1st gear is not smooth and on rare occasions even impossible (clutch is fully pressed to the floor and there are no grinding sounds ever), in this case i just pump the clutch once or select 2nd gear and go into 1st from there and it pops in smoothly. I think it gets much smoother after driving for a while. What could that be ? I know a lot of manual transmission cars have this "feature", but i drove my fathers toyota auris manual and its extremely smooth, the gears go in themselves almost.
I was looking at the shifter cables and noticed that one cable that is under tension is "shriveled"

I think this is completly normal but just in case i thought i would ask :)
What could be problem be and how can i diagnose it ?
Car is a 1.8 2012 manual 60k Km

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
52 Posts
This is pretty normal. One of the quickest ways to wear down the 1st gear synchro is by putting it into 1st gear before completely stopped. The previous owner might've had a bad habit of doing that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is pretty normal. One of the quickest ways to wear down the 1st gear synchro is by putting it into 1st gear before completely stopped. The previous owner might've had a bad habit of doing that.
I didnt know that, i always thought that the reason you have synchros on 1st gear is to be able to engage it at low speed, i was doing this sometimes my self, never again) Regarding my issue i can engage it easaly in 1st if the car is moving a bit, the problem is sometimes when its at a complete stop, that means that its not the syncros isnt it ? I would realy hate if i had such a problem with the gear box ...
Should i change the gearbox oil, will it help? The car has 62000 Km and i dont think the previous owner ever changed the gearbox oil

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is normal
I didnt know that, i always thought that the reason you have synchros on 1st gear is to be able to engage it at low speed, i was doing this sometimes my self, never again) Regarding my issue i can engage it easaly in 1st if the car is moving a bit, the problem is sometimes when its at a complete stop, that means that its not the syncros isnt it ? I would realy hate if i had such a problem with the gear box ...
Should i change the gearbox oil, will it help? The car has 62000 Km and i dont think the previous owner ever changed the gearbox oil
When I get this issue, I just barely move the car in reverse if I need 1st, or 1st if I need reverse. The issue is not your synchros or oil, I believe it's because your gears are not spinning when your at a stop for the synchros to align gears. I've had at least 6 manual vehicles, and every one of them did this from time to time.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
52 Posts
This is normal

When I get this issue, I just barely move the car in reverse if I need 1st, or 1st if I need reverse. The issue is not your synchros or oil, I believe it's because your gears are not spinning when your at a stop for the synchros to align gears. I've had at least 6 manual vehicles, and every one of them did this from time to time.
Correct. The transmission isn't spinning when you're in neutral or with the clutch pedal depressed when stopped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have noticed another issue with the 1st gear :) If im driving in 1st and going to higher revs 5k+ and then try to shift to second, i will feel resistance while going from 1st to neutral, what could that be related to ? Its only in 1st and only at high revs

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a similiar issue with what you are experiencing, gears sometimes pop out or wouldn't engage and going into neutral felt sloppy. I replaced my shifter cable with a OEM honda part and my problems went away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similiar issue with what you are experiencing, gears sometimes pop out or wouldn't engage and going into neutral felt sloppy. I replaced my shifter cable with a OEM honda part and my problems went away.
how do i check my shifter cables, can it be then if the car shifts into 1st smooth after the car warms up a bit?

·
Registered
85 Posts
how do i check my shifter cables, can it be then if the car shifts into 1st smooth after the car warms up a bit?
I had the impression that you checked the shifter cable and you said it was "shriveled"? I would start the diagnosis with a simple transmission fluid change to see if your problem persists, I used Motul Gear 300.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
52 Posts
I had the impression that you checked the shifter cable and you said it was "shriveled"? I would start the diagnosis with a simple transmission fluid change to see if your problem persists, I used Motul Gear 300.
The "shriveled" portion he was talking about was just the dust boot on the end of the cable. It looked normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed another issue with the 1st gear :) If im driving in 1st and going to higher revs 5k+ and then try to shift to second, i will feel resistance while going from 1st to neutral, what could that be related to ? Would a oil change help that ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2012 non Si civic used in 2019 and my 1st gear does the same thing. I'll be at a stoplight and when the light goes green I have a hard time getting it into 1st gear. It doesn't happen every time but when it does I quickly put the car in 2nd gear and then put it into 1st before moving forward. That seems to be the trick but is still a pain in the ass.
When I bought it it had 63,000 miles on it. I changed the tranny oil @ 80,000 miles hoping that would fix it but it didn't. My car currently has 94,000 miles and itstill has the same issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my 2012 non Si civic used in 2019 and my 1st gear does the same thing. I'll be at a stoplight and when the light goes green I have a hard time getting it into 1st gear. It doesn't happen every time but when it does I quickly put the car in 2nd gear and then put it into 1st before moving forward. That seems to be the trick but is still a pain in the ass.
When I bought it it had 63,000 miles on it. I changed the tranny oil @ 80,000 miles hoping that would fix it but it didn't. My car currently has 94,000 miles and itstill has the same issue.
After investigating a bit on line and reading what people wrote here, it seems to be completely normal unless its all the time.
My other issue tho with gear changing on high rpms being a bit hard is definetly not normal, maybe i have a master/slave cylinder problem or clutch issues, i dont rly know how to diagnosticate them and a clutch change is super expensive here )

·
Registered
22 Posts
After investigating a bit on line and reading what people wrote here, it seems to be completely normal unless its all the time.
My other issue tho with gear changing on high rpms being a bit hard is definetly not normal, maybe i have a master/slave cylinder problem or clutch issues, i dont rly know how to diagnosticate them and a clutch change is super expensive here )
When you say normal do you mean Honda messed up on all their cars and we just have to deal with it??? It shouldn't be normal at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Every Honda I’ve owned, and all my friend’s honda’s have had this issue. I wouldn’t say there’s anything wrong with your transmission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Every Honda I’ve owned, and all my friend’s honda’s have had this issue. I wouldn’t say there’s anything wrong with your transmission.
Yeah my Honda has been doing it for a long time and I don't think it'll do damage to my tranny. With that said I don't think it should be '' a normal thing'' Honda should do something to fix this issue if most Honda's do this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts