9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Civic Si and I need some advice. I noticed my clutch reservoir is looking a little low on fluid and I also noticed I have a hard time shifting into 1st gear and reverse, especially when it’s cold outside. I have no problem shifting into other gears.
After some research I came to the conclusion that the fluid in the clutch reservoir is directly correlated to shifting into 1st gear.

I don’t notice anything else wrong, no strange sounds or grinding.

I took it to a Honda dealership and they said without knowing if it’s something more serious, putting new fluid in could further damage the car. What’s the possibility that it is something serious? Should I just go ahead and buy the Dot 4 fluid and fill it back up?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,541 Posts
113k miles, not sure when it was drained last, I bought it used last year.
I'm guessing the previous owner never serviced the clutch fluid also the year and mileage of your vehicle is way past regular maintenance for the clutch fluid so I would do a drain and fill asap. I recently did a drain and fill and shifting is definitely smoother.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Bought mine at 45k. Do the trans every 30k or so, ive done the clutch fluid twice. It really makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
have your clutch fluid drained and refilled and same with the transmission fluid. I noticed for my car the shifting was smoother after the trans fluid change

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
86 Posts
I'm at 77k miles and noticing it's harder to shift into 1st. Picked it up 10,000 miles ago so I'll give this a shot as well
I flushed my clutch fluid and drained/filled my transmission up with new Honda MTF, it made a big difference. Definitely worth doing.

The bleeder on the clutch slave is 8mm, it's awkward to get to but if you remove the air box and the upper half of the cold air tube it's not bad. Stand by the drivers side fender and stick your arm in-between the battery and intake manifold you can reach it no problem. I handed the wrench to my right hand by the bleeder from the top.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my Si used a few years ago, and first thing I did was change every fluid I can. Oil, transmission, brakes, clutch and coolant. I probably didn't have to, but I did it as a piece-of-mind thing. No issues at all, and fluids for this car is typically affordable.

Also, the dealership most likely used DOT3. I'm not sure if you can mix 3 and 4 together. If the fluid goes down again, you might have a leak somewhere...

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
86 Posts
Also, the dealership most likely used DOT3. I'm not sure if you can mix 3 and 4 together. If the fluid goes down again, you might have a leak somewhere...
You can mix DOT 3 and 4 together. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. But it's not a good practice to mix them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Changing the fluid is always a good idea. If you want to go one step further you could change out the shift linkage maybe upgrade to a short-throw shift kit with all new plastic glides. I put one on an old 1998 Civic DX that tightened it up just like an NSX. Even the wife commented on the upgrade, that almost never happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts