9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community,

Been thinking of getting the subframe reinforced on the fb6. Has anybody done this before? I know somebody who can help with the welding process but not sure where to start.

Cheers,

·
Registered
931 Posts
I did it indirectly via a Rigid Collar Kit. Made a definite improvement in handling and reduced the squeaks and squeals that emanated from the dasboard on uneven roads. I do recommend them.

Marko.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
447 Posts
Hello community,

Been thinking of getting the subframe reinforced on the fb6. Has anybody done this before? I know somebody who can help with the welding process but not sure where to start.

Cheers,
I did it indirectly via a Rigid Collar Kit. Made a definite improvement in handling and reduced the squeaks and squeals that emanated from the dasboard on uneven roads. I do recommend them.

Marko.

+1 for the Collar kit. I'm running the BLOX collar kit.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
858 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well then, I know what I'm getting! Is it hard to install, like having to drop the subframe?
I heard you have to, but i've never done it so i can't really say.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I heard you have to, but i've never done it so i can't really say.
Ah, well after some quick googling, seems it has to come down. Guess I'll hold off. Plus I just remembered I have the W-brace on too.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
447 Posts
Well then, I know what I'm getting! Is it hard to install, like having to drop the subframe?
Not hard. Just time consuming. Possible to do by yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it. Have a friend, a couple jacks to lower the subframe, and a crawler or furniture dolly to roll the subframe from under the car. There are a number of walkthroughs on it. I used this one pretty heavily since it has good pics and clear instructions.

We got practice dropping it to do my buddies clutch and figured that it was so easy that we decided to drop the subframe to do my downpipe. Homie said that was WAYYYYY easier to install the DP like that. He'd installed his the typical way and said that dropping the subframe was far better.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Not hard. Just time consuming. Possible to do by yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it. Have a friend, a couple jacks to lower the subframe, and a crawler or furniture dolly to roll the subframe from under the car. There are a number of walkthroughs on it. I used this one pretty heavily since it has good pics and clear instructions.

We got practice dropping it to do my buddies clutch and figured that it was so easy that we decided to drop the subframe to do my downpipe. Homie said that was WAYYYYY easier to install the DP like that. He'd installed his the typical way and said that dropping the subframe was far better.

That's kind of surprising. I've done two downpipes on these cars and it's really not that bad. Worst part was getting the cowl off imo. I would never think to drop the subframe to get it out.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That's kind of surprising. I've done two downpipes on these cars and it's really not that bad. Worst part was getting the cowl off imo. I would never think to drop the subframe to get it out.
I'm wondering if he meant a turbo DP. Swapping out the stock DP to something like RV6 or the like is pretty easy with the subframe in.

Reactions: BWill9886

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm wondering if he meant a turbo DP. Swapping out the stock DP to something like RV6 or the like is pretty easy with the subframe in.
Ah, that would make more sense.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
447 Posts
Nope. Full Race DP. I'm running the CTE kit, no turbo. I think he was saying that rotating the stock pipe out while holding it over your face wasn't the greatest. I dunno if we would have dropped it if we were only doing the DP, but we were doing the subframe collars too.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nope. Full Race DP. I'm running the CTE kit, no turbo. I think he was saying that rotating the stock pipe out while holding it over your face wasn't the greatest. I dunno if we would have dropped it if we were only doing the DP, but we were doing the subframe collars too.
That makes more sense. Definitely easier to get it out with two people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts