9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Civic Si - Stock as F$&@
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’m new to this 9th Gen Civic stuff, and I love the car so far. 6 speed manual, and great ride. Always loved the reliability of Hondas, and this car should serve the same.
However, I’m someone who does most all my own maintenance, and checks my oil, and coolant on the daily. Granted this car is super stock. No mods
How worried should I be about a 140,000 mile 9th gen head gasket giving out on me? Basically my two biggest fears on these cars are overheating, and timing ish.
As long as you’re keeping good coolant (the blue stuff) and reg maintenance as always should it even be a concern???

how reliable are these 9th gen overall when it comes to head gaskets? Is this too general??

thanks 🙏

·
Photoshop Masta
2,934 Posts
With regular maintenance and upkeep I don't think you should worry.

Like any car, things will happen, but generally a blown head gasket is a result of overheating or detonation. But that's usually in extreme cases. Just don't drive your car if you have an overheating problem.

Do what you're doing and enjoy the car! No sense in worrying about stuff that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Like any car, things will happen, but generally a blown head gasket is a result of overheating or detonation. But that's usually in extreme cases. Just don't drive your car if you have an overheating problem.

Do what you're doing and enjoy the car! No sense in worrying about stuff that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Noted. Yeah. I guess I am too used to Subaru drama. This is why I love Honda. They seem to be such forgiving cars lol

·
Photoshop Masta
2,934 Posts
Noted. Yeah. I guess I am too used to Subaru drama. This is why I love Honda. They seem to be such forgiving cars lol
Yeah, they're extremely reliable cars. I do all the regular maintenance on my car as well and I haven't had a single major issue. I do however have extremely bad luck with tires lol It feels like every 2 months I run a nail over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they're extremely reliable cars. I do all the regular maintenance on my car as well and I haven't had a single major issue. I do however have extremely bad luck with tires lol It feels like every 2 months I run a nail over.
Same man. I always get screwed over at the car wash. It’s always some jerk that sprays the nails outta their truck bed. And I manage to get one. I hear ya. Haha

·
Registered
179 Posts
I drive a DD a ,05 Subara for over 100k. They are not the same. Subaru only has Honda on its AWD. Beyond that, swap a Honda into a Subaru.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Hello all. I’m new to this 9th Gen Civic stuff, and I love the car so far. 6 speed manual, and great ride. Always loved the reliability of Hondas, and this car should serve the same.
However, I’m someone who does most all my own maintenance, and checks my oil, and coolant on the daily. Granted this car is super stock. No mods
How worried should I be about a 140,000 mile 9th gen head gasket giving out on me? Basically my two biggest fears on these cars are overheating, and timing ish.
As long as you’re keeping good coolant (the blue stuff) and reg maintenance as always should it even be a concern???

how reliable are these 9th gen overall when it comes to head gaskets? Is this too general??

thanks 🙏
You probably shouldn't be worried at all.
I'm going strong at 230k and I beat it like a welfare *****.if you don't redline your car at least once a day,just take the bus.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Head gasket failure on a stock Si engine are rare.
Unless the engine was boosted by super or turbo charging.
Or has been severely over heated at some point in time.

More to "worry about" is keeping the oil level full.
Si engines run in anger WILL use OIL between regular oil change intervals.
Check the engine oil every time you fill the gas tank or twice a month.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
I went from using amsoil every 15k and now to running the white box from Costco. You know the Kirkland brand. At this point it's whatever now. I got over 200k outta my stock Engine she's paid for itself already.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I went from using amsoil every 15k and now to running the white box from Costco. You know the Kirkland brand. At this point it's whatever now. I got over 200k outta my stock Engine she's paid for itself already.
Just think you could have been using white box oil the whole time and saved a bunch of cash.
There is nothing wrong with amsoil as a lubricant. But you pay for the marketing of the product.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Just think you could have been using white box oil the whole time and saved a bunch of cash.
There is nothing wrong with amsoil as a lubricant. But you pay for the marketing of the product.
Well actually my Costco barely got it like a year ago. Plus for 15k oil changes......I wasn't spending much. Especially compared to some of the people on here that are terrified of changing past 3-5k. I didn't spend much considering it's dirt cheap by comparison to my diesel trucks. Those are some interesting oil changes. 5 gallon buckets,$100 in filters alone. 5w40 full synthetic diesel oil........yeah........what a hoot. I'm more than happy spending a few more dollars on the amsoil when they're new. After 200k it's game on. Walmart supertech for all I care lol

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Diesel engines are a whole 'nuther animal.
But kudos on 15k oil changes and getting that kind of life out of the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts