9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime in the near future i'm looking to do a retrofit project and i've compiled a parts list. Just wanted someone with experience with this kind of mod to offer any input or suggestions.

Low beam projector: Lexus RX-AFS
High beam projector: FX-R 1.1
Ballasts: Morimoto 5Five (35w) x2
Low Beam Shroud: Gatling Gun
High beam shroud: Orbit
Relay Harness: still kind of fuzzy on which one i would need for this application (help needed! :unsure:)

Then im going to get CCFL's for both, this list was made from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
225 Posts
thats a similar set up to what i wanted but without the high beam retrofit..i spoke with Bjorn from Custom Lightz and he said the RX projector is the best bet for the money..has great color and output....

post some pics when you get them!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
nice, can't wait to see the outcome of this...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
What are you going to splice your ccfls into?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you going to splice your ccfls into?

i have no idea. this is my first retrofit, i'm waiting to do it to do a LOT of research first. i've been looking over at HIDplanet for ideas. I really don't know how i'm going to do the wiring or mounting of the projector. I don't want brackets showing but i want it to be really sturdy

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
As far as brackets go, just make a custom shroud,

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hm i hadn't thought of that. I saw your posts on your retrofit, what are some issues you encountered while doing it? if any.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Well I went with the morimoto mini h1s from Theretrofitsource, which required no cutting, it literally just attached to the housing, no issues whatsoever, loved it. I'll probably do tsx projectors in the future, but for my first retrofit I just stuck with something simple

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just bought the tsx projectors, i'm buying the parts in spurts to try to offset the cost haha. That's me rationalizing spending so much money. :shrug: I'm probably going to take it somewhere to get it done, to much room for error hah. Even though i'm going to get bent over a chair in labor costs, i'd rather have it done right. The HID kit i have now hardly puts out enough light to even drive at night. (another rationalization) so slowly but surely this will happen!:spinning:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
well to save money, you could do the ballasts and wiring yourself, just let someone else deal with your headlight housing, the ballasts and wiring is super easy, especially if you get a harness from theretrofitsource or customlightz for like $35

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats true, and i might even go as far as to get the headlights apart for them and take them in just because everywhere i take it acts like its a big deal and that "most of the labor" comes from baking the lights

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Well that's ridiculous I did it with a blow dryer and it was easy

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i've started going to a new place around here recently because the place i was going to tried to rip me off on a few things. Haven't gotten a quote from the new place yet

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
What area do you live in?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Ah okay, can't help you there haha,good luck finding a trustworthy person, those are hide to find these days

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha thanks i'll need it. it's really frustrating you can't get a straight deal from anyone. Everyone's trying to high ball you. My boss takes all of his cars to this place and sponsors their shop and they still try to pull shady antics on me. I called BS on them pretty quickly and now my boss doesn't endorse them anymore. :idgaf:Switched places, so we'll see how it goes. I'm also thinking about buying a "test headlight" for fitaments and stuff off ebay, i saw a few with broken clips for under $100, it might be worth the trial and error

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Yeah people these days, buying a spare set sounds like a good idea or maybe you could get some off the guy getting UAE headlights, I guess he won't need any usdm headlights anymore

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a good idea, didn't even think of that!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
wait, so are you doing tsx projectors, or rx projectors?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts