9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2012 Si 175k on the clock and I’ve been chasing down a misfire for like a year (30k miles) now and kind of don’t where to go next so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

So this issue happens randomly sometimes it takes 500miles & sometimes it’s 5000miles in between incidents and it happens more frequently in the cold, but when I start driving, always in my first two minutes of driving car & only after the car has sat all night, I get a flashing check engine light full misfiring and everything basically can’t drive it. I shut the car off for 10 seconds start it back up and it’s fine. I’ll drive anywhere from 500 - 5000miles and it happens again. The only code that ever pops is misfire code P0302 - Cylinder #2.
I’ve replaced plugs/coils/injectors the misfire doesn’t change cylinders. Compression on the engine is good, what should be my next step from here? I’m thinking it’s maybe some electrical? Anyone have any suggestions for me? Let me know if you need anymore info.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you done a leak down test? As well check valve lash and what were the compression numbers.
Car stock as well?
I don’t recall the compression #s off the top of my head, my dad did the test with a tech buddy of his I’ll see if I can find em, but they were well within norm. No leakdown test performed or vavle lash checked. What are these and would I be able to perform them myself? Car is 10 years old and has close to 200k on it so would prefer to not have to shell out diag money if avoidable.

Car is 100% stock expect for a fx100 Clutchmaster kit (none lightweight). In the cold it happens like every 500 miles where in the summer it typically happens once or twice between oil changes.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This looks like it could be exactly what I need, it doesn’t seem like a mechanical issue this would make a lot of sense. As much as I’d like to avoid it I think I gotta make an apt with Honda.

thank you very much! If anyone has any other things to look into let me know!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
As intermittent as the problem is, I would not waste my money on a dealer doing diag. Especially since you say a key cycle turns off the light and returns car to normal function. The dealer will take your money and tell you they can't find anything wrong "at this time."

Also that bulletin was for all '12 Civic EXCEPT Si.
However, having the dealer perform the learn procedure would not hurt... except for your wallet.

I went to the P0302 troubleshooting to see how involved it is... very involved.
But on step 5 I found this:

NOTE: If the misfire can not be reproduced, there is a possibility that the problem may have been caused by poor quality fuel. The problem may have disappeared after refueling with fresh fuel. The MIL DIST (MIL Distance) value in the Data List in combination with the fuel level may help you make this determination.

In addition; adjusting the valves is easy, even I managed to adjust the valves on my '12 EX...

Hope this helps you out.

P.S. Please include city and state in your profile.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As intermittent as the problem is, I would not waste my money on a dealer doing diag. Especially since you say a key cycle turns off the light and returns car to normal function. The dealer will take your money and tell you they can't find anything wrong "at this time."

Also that bulletin was for all '12 Civic EXCEPT Si.
However, having the dealer perform the learn procedure would not hurt... except for your wallet.

I went to the P0302 troubleshooting to see how involved it is... very involved.
But on step 5 I found this:

NOTE: If the misfire can not be reproduced, there is a possibility that the problem may have been caused by poor quality fuel. The problem may have disappeared after refueling with fresh fuel. The MIL DIST (MIL Distance) value in the Data List in combination with the fuel level may help you make this determination.

In addition; adjusting the valves is easy, even I managed to adjust the valves on my '12 EX...

Hope this helps you out.

P.S. Please include city and state in your profile.
just to provide some clarity the check engine cone P0302 is always there. I’ll clear the code and it’s comes back after a few days of driving. It’s the major check engine light flashing car falling on its face that happena randomly.

I don’t see how it could be a fuel issue in terms of quality as it’s been happening for 30k miles and I have changed up station for several weeks at a time to consider this option. It’s a super strange issue.

If it is a valve adjustment that is needed, would it be happening inconstantly like this? I would imagine it would be more frequent as a valve issue. Unfortunately it’s cold so either way I’ll probably have to have Honda do it.

appreciate the insite/recommendations.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Does the DTC come back after a particular driving pattern?

Not a Honda but this video might provide you with further insight. If you live near this guy, that's where I would go for repair...

If you have 44 minutes to watch the whole video. I think you will find it enlightening.
Or
Jump to 16 minute mark when he discovers how to duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the DTC come back after a particular driving pattern?

Not a Honda but this video might provide you with further insight. If you live near this guy, that's where I would go for repair...

If you have 44 minutes to watch the whole video. I think you will find it enlightening.
Or
Jump to 16 minute mark when he discovers how to duplicate the problem.
I will definitely have to watch the full video, but fast forward to the 16minute mark and seeing him duplicate, mine does not duplicate like that.
If I clear out the basic code it does always come back, sometimes after 50miles sometimes after 500miles. The super heavy misfire flashing check whole car stuttering is even more intermittent. Sometimes it’s doesn’t happen for 5000miles at a time & I’ve never been able to duplicate the misfireat idle. Also he does seem to have multiple codes and mine is always for cylinder #2 and it’s just P0302
I daily drive the car and I do put a lot of mileage on it and I have not been able to duplicate in anyway, it seems super random.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
At this point the best advice I have for you, is to make sure a DTC P0302 is stored before taking the car to the dealer.
And better, take it in after the severe misfire event has occurred.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this point the best advice I have for you, is to make sure a DTC P0302 is stored before taking the car to the dealer.
And better, take it in after the severe misfire event has occurred.
Yeah the code is active right now I don’t plan on resetting it. I’m trying to get an apt for next Thursday as I’ll have another car to use for work that day.
Much appreciate the advise/insite. My father and I have been playing with this for a bit now and it has to be either something electrical/computer related or the need for a valve adjustment but imo it would be more consistent if it was related to the valves. All the basic stuff plugs/coils/fuel injectors/fuel/etc has been eliminated & if it was a major internal engine failure of some kind it’s super unlikely the car would run with the issue persistantly for 30k without the engine saying good bye completely and the car runs 100% when it’s not happening, fluids & everything are normal.

Will definitely update after my Honda visit

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yeah the code is active right now I don’t plan on resetting it. I’m trying to get an apt for next Thursday as I’ll have another car to use for work that day.
Much appreciate the advise/insite. My father and I have been playing with this for a bit now and it has to be either something electrical/computer related or the need for a valve adjustment but imo it would be more consistent if it was related to the valves. All the basic stuff plugs/coils/fuel injectors/fuel/etc has been eliminated & if it was a major internal engine failure of some kind it’s super unlikely the car would run with the issue persistantly for 30k without the engine saying good bye completely and the car runs 100% when it’s not happening, fluids & everything are normal.

Will definitely update after my Honda visit
Hopefully the engine will get into that limp mode before next week.
That way the dealer tech should be able to retrieve some useful data.

That Wes guy is smart, his approach to troubleshooting procedure far exceeds anything I saw at dealers.
Not that dealer techs (some) are not smart.
They can't afford to spend hours chasing down broken wires like Wes did.
In fact you and your father have done all the easy steps in Honda's troubleshooting for P0302.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully the engine will get into that limp mode before next week.
That way the dealer tech should be able to retrieve some useful data.

That Wes guy is smart, his approach to troubleshooting procedure far exceeds anything I saw at dealers.
Not that dealer techs (some) are not smart.
They can't afford to spend hours chasing down broken wires like Wes did.
In fact you and your father have done all the easy steps in Honda's troubleshooting for P0302.
I used to work at Honda as a writer so I definitely know how much the tech quality can vary from tech to tech. Unfortunately no one I know is still there to be able to help me out.

I’ve had the car since like 36k and basically everything has been done by me/my dad. Unfortunately it’s got close to 200k on it and I’m really hoping this is something silly/stupid and not a larger issue as it’s just not worth dumping a ton of money into the car atm.

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In light of your dealership experience you already know what to expect.
So car went to Honda today, I dropped it off around 9am asked them had a high level tech take a look at it and provided them the list of all the stuff I did already so they didn’t waste time on it, the shop foreman was free so he took a look at it. They called around 10ish and he said we need to start with a valve adjustment and go from there. I approved the work and I can provide more details if anyone is interested they gave me a good write up, but basically cylinder #2 the exhaust valves were not doing anything and cylinder #1 they were so bad he was shocked that I was getting a misfire code for cylinder #1 as well.

So far I drive the car like 10 miles to work after getting it and just drove home like 15 more miles. So only 25 or so miles so far but the car feels 100% better, no more exhaust back firing going on, the rough idle/idle vibration is gone and so far no lights have returned. I have to put a couple hundred miles on it to make sure but so far it definitely seems like it just needed a valve adjustment!

Appreciate the help from anyone who helped!

·
Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool! Glad it was that easy.
Curious what did they charge for the valve adjustment, also where are you located?
For sure the car feels 100% again for the first time in like a year and a half!
Im in Central Jersey, they charged me $650 which included diag. I called around a few dealerships in the area and they all would have charged me within $50 of that. Called a few mom & pops that would have done it for around $400 so so, but I would have owed Honda like $180 diag if I declined the work so I would have saved like $70 and had a nine Honda tech doing it so, more then I would have liked to spend but ultimately worth it since the car is 100% again

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Wow!
The shop labor rate must be close to $200 an hour where you are located.
But the price is what it is; and the car is repaired makes it all good...
And, better than having that amount as a monthly car payment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.