9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk what's going on but I have a guess thinking it might be the gas...before I pumped, everything was running fine and smoothly but afterwards...this happened...

And this one is a startup...the revs drop below 500 RPM and it'll idle around 700 RPM for a bit and idle at 1100 RPM...the little rev was my doing to get it back down...but it dropped so low.

So after all this...I took it around the freeway and tried to pull a bit in 4th gear cause my car would barely even accelerate and once I got to about 3500 RPM...I heard a "pop" under the hood so I pulled over and checked...no issues, nothing broken or exploded. No smoke either...my guess was it might've been the intake choking cause it couldn't suck in enough air when I went WOT.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated guys! >__< This is my first car and idk exactly what the issue is...it's the first time its ever happened.:sadbanana::sadbanana::sadbanana:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Do you by chance have FP? I always had the funny start rpms exactly like you when I was tuned, but I never had the WOT problems or a pop.

Btw I also had the ART SRI.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you by chance have FP? I always had the funny start rpms exactly like you when I was tuned, but I never had the WOT problems or a pop.

Btw I also had the ART SRI.
No FP. It's all stock besides the ART SRI. Would maybe water in the gasoline have something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've only ever had bad gas one time and it was in my old Saturn. It would start funny, one time it almost didn't start and it would loose power while trying to get up to hwy speed. So I could definently see that as being a cause. However bad gas is very very rare these days. Even in the BFE Oklahoma town I just moved from with dirt covered pumps and premium that no one there ever bought except me, I still never had an issue. That doesn't mean its not possible though. Try pulling your battery cable and reset the ECU, it sounds odd, but I have seen doing that fix so many issues you wouldn't believe. If that does nothing then get a bottle of gas treatment from a gas station/walmart/autozone etc. Only time will tell if it was bad gas by burning it off and replacing it.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Idk what's going on but I have a guess thinking it might be the gas...before I pumped, everything was running fine and smoothly but afterwards...this happened...

And this one is a startup...the revs drop below 500 RPM and it'll idle around 700 RPM for a bit and idle at 1100 RPM...the little rev was my doing to get it back down...but it dropped so low.

So after all this...I took it around the freeway and tried to pull a bit in 4th gear cause my car would barely even accelerate and once I got to about 3500 RPM...I heard a "pop" under the hood so I pulled over and checked...no issues, nothing broken or exploded. No smoke either...my guess was it might've been the intake choking cause it couldn't suck in enough air when I went WOT.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated guys! >__< This is my first car and idk exactly what the issue is...it's the first time its ever happened.:sadbanana::sadbanana::sadbanana:
Ambient temp?
MAF sensor clean, seated properly, no broken wires?
Vacuum line off?
Intake clogged, leak in the duct?

Try not to wot, pops can be knocks / combustion from compression.

It seems like the cars af ratio is off or the maf is flaking out.
If you check everything and it's ok try resetting the ecu.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ambient temp?
MAF sensor clean, seated properly, no broken wires?
Vacuum line off?
Intake clogged, leak in the duct?

Try not to wot, pops can be knocks / combustion from compression.

It seems like the cars af ratio is off or the maf is flaking out.
If you check everything and it's ok try resetting the ecu.
I've already triple checked everything and all the wires are good and the MAF sensor is clean. Everything seems to be checking out just fine under the hood...I just unplugged the battery and reset the ECU just a sec ago so I'll give it a bit before I try starting it up again. Hopefully everythings okay and it was just the gas burning off...

Thank you guys so much for helping me out!! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so the startup is normal now. That seems to be okay...I started it up several times to make sure. Just the part where I rev it up or drive it and throw it to neutral, the revs will drop to 500 RPM. Gassing it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore though, that runs smoothly. Its just the RPM drop issue now. I'll let it sit over night and see how it goes tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be okay! Thanks again guys! I'll update again tomorrow and let you guys know how its going.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Okay so the startup is normal now. That seems to be okay...I started it up several times to make sure. Just the part where I rev it up or drive it and throw it to neutral, the revs will drop to 500 RPM. Gassing it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore though, that runs smoothly. Its just the RPM drop issue now. I'll let it sit over night and see how it goes tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be okay! Thanks again guys! I'll update again tomorrow and let you guys know how its going.
Good to hear, still may not be out of the woods though given the idle issue, but we're definitely moving in the right direction. Might want to see if you could take it to the dealer for eval. You're sri shouldn't void the warranty so trust me they don't want an engine expense, they should work with you. Even if you are off warranty I bet they still work with you. I would hate to see you put dry gas in the tank if it's not necessary.

If it is the fuel, once it's burned off, you may need to reset the ecu again so that it relearns how to run again with proper petrol.

Good luck and keep us posted.
PS: Don't ever fill up if there is a tanker filling the station's tanks. Also, try to keep you're tank above a 1/4. Over time you will get deposits in your tank and this will help avoid sucking them through the system.

Pps: find a station you can trust and fill up there all the time if you can.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear, still may not be out of the woods though given the idle issue, but we're definitely moving in the right direction. Might want to see if you could take it to the dealer for eval. You're sri shouldn't void the warranty so trust me they don't want an engine expense, they should work with you. Even if you are off warranty I bet they still work with you. I would hate to see you put dry gas in the tank if it's not necessary.

If it is the fuel, once it's burned off, you may need to reset the ecu again so that it relearns how to run again with proper petrol.

Good luck and keep us posted.
PS: Don't ever fill up if there is a tanker filling the station's tanks. Also, try to keep you're tank above a 1/4. Over time you will get deposits in your tank and this will help avoid sucking them through the system.

Pps: find a station you can trust and fill up there all the time if you can.
Thanks for the advice! I tried starting the car this morning...no start the first few tries. And around the 4th try, it started up. But once I have it gas, the engine revs dropped down and the car started to die. Did exactly the opposite of revving up. But if I let it sit, it was normal...also. The gas station I always pump at is my family gas station. We own a texaco gas station and I've been pumping 92 octane ever since I got the car and never had any problems. I tried swapping my intake back to my stock one but I ran out of time before I could get it on and try again since I was running late for work. But I'll be doing this all night to see if I can do anything to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update : I got my car towed to the dealership and told them what was going on. They said it was a gas issue and that the gas had water in it. They're fixin' her up right now and gonna test drive to see if there are any other issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same exact problem. noticed it today. Ambient temp outside is zero, was thinking that it was the cause of the problem. I also have the SI with the ART SRI.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same exact problem. noticed it today. Ambient temp outside is zero, was thinking that it was the cause of the problem. I also have the SI with the ART SRI.
It might be your gas? Idk...I don't think the intake would be an issue. I thought it might've been but there's no way. Take it to your dealer and let them check it out. That's your best and safest bet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It was the intake. I keep my garage at 65. Its 0 outside. I ran out to run some errands and the metal got so cold and shrunk so fast that the intake filter actually fell off. Re-installed it and everything worked normally. I put the stock intake back on until spring hits so it wont happen again.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the intake. I keep my garage at 65. Its 0 outside. I ran out to run some errands and the metal got so cold and shrunk so fast that the intake filter actually fell off. Re-installed it and everything worked normally. I put the stock intake back on until spring hits so it wont happen again.
Oh wow I see. Glad to hear everything is working normally again. For me, it turned out not being water but actually a ton of ethanol in the gas. There was over 75% ethanol in the gas that cause my engine not to function properly...cost me $417 to flush it out and clean it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was a sample they'd shown me and yeah...the clear top is the gas..the gunk at the bottom is the ethanol.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Did you pay for your last tank of gas by credit card? or debit card? If so you will have a record or the transaction and you should talk to the owner of that gas station (not the manager) and explain your situation. I would demand some action on their behalf.

Edit: Keep that sample if you can. Bring that along with your proof of purchase of gas and the Honda bill of $417.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Dammmmm that's a crazy amount of ethanol!!!!! Never seen anything like that happen before. Glad you got it worked out even if the bill was a bit steep.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you pay for your last tank of gas by credit card? or debit card? If so you will have a record or the transaction and you should talk to the owner of that gas station (not the manager) and explain your situation. I would demand some action on their behalf.

Edit: Keep that sample if you can. Bring that along with your proof of purchase of gas and the Honda bill of $417.
I don't have the physical sample but I have plenty of photos of proof. And I actually had paid for my gas with cash so I have no evidence..but Honda is backing me up with this. And I'll take it through insurance and have them help do this.

Dammmmm that's a crazy amount of ethanol!!!!! Never seen anything like that happen before. Glad you got it worked out even if the bill was a bit steep.
Yeah!!! It's ridiculous how much ethanol was in there. It was a shell station too at that...never believe what you see guys! They don't always have 10%-15% of ethanol.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Too bad about paying cash!
Rather than go through insurance (they will raise your rates if they end up paying), you may want to contact owner and see what he/she says. If they don't move then ask that owner who you should contact higher up. The higher up you go the better. There is a good chance Shell will not want you bad mouthing their gas all over the place if you kniw what I mean and may want to settle with you. It's worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts