9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! My friend is offering his 2012 civic si with 117k miles and a set of winter tires to me for $5500. He bought it brand new, paid it off, & did routine oil changes and regular maintenance. The only issues I can tell is one tiny bit of surface rust starting to show near the rear quarter panel, a little bit of clear coat peeling, and a tiny spot in the windshield where a rock hit. It’s been taken care of and I’d be upgrading from my 08 Scion tC but I’m just making sure it’s a good buy at that price. Thank you!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd say it's a good deal if it mechanically is in good shape. I'm assuming it's got a rebuild title at that price.
I'm sure your aware risks when buying from a friend/family.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean title! He’s he only owner there ever was. Can you clarify what you mean about risks buying from friends? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No accidents thankfully. Do you know how long suspension parts last for these civics? He hasn’t replaced anything yet in it and I’m worried that picking up at 117k I’ll have to start replacing everything

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you buy the car, and the clutch goes a month later, would it bother you? Some people it does, and can create tension.

At that price, I wouldn't be upset if the trans went out a month later though.
Also, I'm over 110,000 miles on bone stock suspension...no issues yet. A boot around a shock has a cutt, so eventually I'll upgrade when it gets noisy or bouncy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn’t say it’d bother me simply because he couldn’t have known, but aren’t civics supposed to last well over 200k-300k even?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn’t say it’d bother me simply because he couldn’t have known, but aren’t civics supposed to last well over 200k-300k even?
Yes, if well maintained. Do you know how your friend "drove" the car? He can be the sole owner, but was he abusing it? That price is close to 8th gen prices, and that's (about) a 10 year old car, compared to a 2012, which is closing in on 10 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know he hasn’t abused it past the occasional redline just opening it up going into highways and such. He basically knows I like the car and said he’s give it to me for the trade in price when he goes to get a new car here soon.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts
Didn't some 2012 SIs have oil burning issues? I'd ask him if that was so, and if it was remedied.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Didn't some 2012 SIs have oil burning issues? I'd ask him if that was so, and if it was remedied.
My 12' has the oil usage issue. I never thought of it as a issue, it needs under a quart to 1 1/2 quarts to make it through a oil change. I can see if this was a new car I may be upset. For a used car, I'm still under the understanding that some engines use oil. My Subaru may as well be a 2-stroke.
It really seems to depend on how much engine braking I'm doing...if I engine brake from 4-5k+ often (aggressive) it's going to use well over a quart. If I'm driving like a normal person, it will be less than a quart.

Just read Teeps post, and yep that's my car

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
My 12' has the oil usage issue. I never thought of it as a issue, it needs under a quart to 1 1/2 quarts to make it through a oil change. I can see if this was a new car I may be upset. For a used car, I'm still under the understanding that some engines use oil. My Subaru may as well be a 2-stroke.
It really seems to depend on how much engine braking I'm doing...if I engine brake from 4-5k+ often (aggressive) it's going to use well over a quart. If I'm driving like a normal person, it will be less than a quart.

Just read Teeps post, and yep that's my car
I was going to say for a few hundred bucks you could replace the rings yourself.
But further inspection of the bulletin details it would probably be more like a few thousand bucks. 2k for labor alone, provide the block was not out of spec, requiring a new short block... even more money!
Keeping the oil level up is much more cost effective at this point.
Maybe one of those "SNAKE OIL" (no pun intended) oil treatments or "special high mileage oils" may improve the consumption.

I remember driving a pool car, a new 93 Prelude Si and experiencing the low oil light warning coming on under hard acceleration. Actually when V-Tec kicked in.
This car was driven like it was hated by everyone in the department... V-Tec was still new to us. So most of this car's shifts were probably after V-Tec was active.
Anyway, the engine was 2 quarts low on oil! Also the car only had about 4k miles and had not had its first oil change.
We soon learned that any Honda engine with "high performance" so to speak, was going to use some oil if driven hard.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was going to say for a few hundred bucks you could replace the rings yourself.
But further inspection of the bulletin details it would probably be more like a few thousand bucks. 2k for labor alone, provide the block was not out of spec, requiring a new short block... even more money!
Keeping the oil level up is much more cost effective at this point.
Maybe one of those "SNAKE OIL" (no pun intended) oil treatments or "special high mileage oils" may improve the consumption.

I remember driving a pool car, a new 93 Prelude Si and experiencing the low oil light warning coming on under hard acceleration. Actually when V-Tec kicked in.
This car was driven like it was hated by everyone in the department... V-Tec was still new to us. So most of this car's shifts were probably after V-Tec was active.
Anyway, the engine was 2 quarts low on oil! Also the car only had about 4k miles and had not had its first oil change.
We soon learned that any Honda engine with "high performance" so to speak, was going to use some oil if driven hard.
The few times I didn't catch oil level, same thing, oil light flickers mid corner, and panic.

Haven't tried the snake oil yet. The piston rings is a excuse I'm saving for rods/pistons! I'm sure labor is crazy, so I intend on doing this myself.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The few times I didn't catch oil level, same thing, oil light flickers mid corner, and panic.

Haven't tried the snake oil yet. The piston rings is a excuse I'm saving for rods/pistons! I'm sure labor is crazy, so I intend on doing this myself.
Honda allowed over 14 hours labor for the job. Assuming the block was serviceable.
If you can DIY there will be an immediate cash savings.
But plan on spending twice the flat rate time.
Reviewing the bulletin procedure just getting the head and oil pan off is a cluster.... It's not a job I would want to do at home, even now me being retired. There are better ways to have fun...
Here is the bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Honda allowed over 14 hours labor for the job. Assuming the block was serviceable.
Reviewing the bulletin procedure just getting the head and oil pan off is a cluster.... It's not a job I would want to do at home, even now me being retired. There are better ways to have fun...
Here is the bulletin.
That PDF is fantastic, thank you.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Civic SI Sedan
29 Posts
Hey all! My friend is offering his 2012 civic si with 117k miles and a set of winter tires to me for $5500. He bought it brand new, paid it off, & did routine oil changes and regular maintenance. The only issues I can tell is one tiny bit of surface rust starting to show near the rear quarter panel, a little bit of clear coat peeling, and a tiny spot in the windshield where a rock hit. It’s been taken care of and I’d be upgrading from my 08 Scion tC but I’m just making sure it’s a good buy at that price. Thank you!
@scottwitha5 I once bought a used car off Craigslist, not a Honda, Nissan Maxima, and it had a little over 100K mi. Exterior and interior looked great since driven daily by a female business professional. It was good to drive when I first bought it but eventually I found out the suspension was super worn. A mechanic quoted me for about $3K in repairs. Apparently, the previous owner did not maintain the shocks, struts, axle boots. It was not worth it since it was my daily so I traded it in as a down payment for my new 9th gen Civic. Long story, short: sounds like a good deal for you since you know the seller personally. Also, it is an SI so you are getting all the bells and whistles in a Civic. It is always nice to see older SIs still on the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Same. I have a 2012 with the consumption issue. It's usually under a medium to heavy braking situation where mine pops on. I keep a jug of oil in the trunk just for this reason.

Here is the bulletin.
Thanks for the PDF. I was going to consider doing this myself, but after seeing that, no way. You're absolutely right. There are MUCH better ways to have fun. o_O

1 - 18 of 18 Posts