9th Gen Civic Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agree. Boggles my mind somebody will spend $3K on rims and $300 bucks on tires. I was speaking with my tire shop a few weeks ago when I was mounting tires and the guy said most people will drop huge money on rims and than ask for the cheapest tires the shop carries lol.
Agreed I see it all the time. Expensive wheels with really cheap and stretched tires. Just asking for something to go wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just installed a set of Continental Extreme Contact D/W. Fantastic grip, very quiet with a badass looking tread design. It's still early, but so far the best set of tires I have ever mounted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if i am posting wrong, new to this forum, i was looking to replace the tires on my 13 civic si coupe, should I go with the Michelin super sports? or the Michelin premiere A/S? I live in Maryland, so it is possible that we can get snow every now and then, but it is not always a super bad thing. also i should add these would be the only tire i buy. not really within my budge to buy both winter and summer tires.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Super Sports are terrific tires but they are strictly summer tires so once the weather gets cold they will start to ride hard and noisy, once it snows they will be pretty much undrivable so if your only getting one set of tires I wouldn't recommend them.
Michelin Premiere are touring tires which probably drive soft and I'm guessing won't excel at anything.

Summer/winter tires are always the ideal setup for maximum year round performance but if that isn't possible I would recommend you check out Continental DWS06, a good all around tire that excels in the rain or Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ which is also an excellent all around tire and probably one of the few all season tires that can rival summer tires in terms of performance.

I picked up a set of AS 3+ for my new wheels just this week.

Sorry if i am posting wrong, new to this forum, i was looking to replace the tires on my 13 civic si coupe, should I go with the Michelin super sports? or the Michelin premiere A/S? I live in Maryland, so it is possible that we can get snow every now and then, but it is not always a super bad thing. also i should add these would be the only tire i buy. not really within my budge to buy both winter and summer tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got about 39K on my 2015 Si, the stock Conti Pro Contact tires were not to bad, actually surprised me. I think I'll be going with Pilot Sport A/S 3's, I think those will be better in the wet.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Actually Continental DWS06 will probably be better on the wet if that is your primary concern, However Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ probably is a better performing all round tire.

Got about 39K on my 2015 Si, the stock Conti Pro Contact tires were not to bad, actually surprised me. I think I'll be going with Pilot Sport A/S 3's, I think those will be better in the wet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want a tire that'll last long and give you good traction go with Michelin Primacy or Pilot SS, they're pricey but definitely worth it

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Totally different tires catering to different buyers. One is a touring all season tire more oriented to somebody looking for a smooth, comfortable, quiet ride and is willing to sacrifice performance for comfort. The other is a high performance summer tire for somebody looking for top end grip and is willing to sacrifice comfort for performance.

If you want a tire that'll last long and give you good traction go with Michelin Primacy or Pilot SS, they're pricey but definitely worth it

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just picked up a set of Hankook ventus v2 concept 2's 225/40/18 (standard si size for 14-15) and although reviews are mixed, I can say for daily driving and spirited they are great. REALLY quiet and comfortable w/ a good amount of grip.

Only have a few thousands of miles so I'll update on the longevity. Great for the price you pay. The sidewall doesnt stick out which for me made a big difference because with the stock continental tires they used to rub a lot, and now I almost never rub.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
So sounds like those Hankooks are smaller fitting tires. Even tires are the same "size" on paper no two tires will fit the same some will fit small and some will fit big. I've heard that Hankooks generally fit small.

I just picked up a set of Hankook ventus v2 concept 2's 225/40/18 (standard si size for 14-15) and although reviews are mixed, I can say for daily driving and spirited they are great. REALLY quiet and comfortable w/ a good amount of grip.

Only have a few thousands of miles so I'll update on the longevity. Great for the price you pay. The sidewall doesnt stick out which for me made a big difference because with the stock continental tires they used to rub a lot, and now I almost never rub.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yea I was talking to the shop owner about my rubbing issues, he did say the actual width of the tire is smaller even though its listed as the same size

121 - 134 of 134 Posts