9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, I'm new but i've lurked around for a bit to see some things or two, I was wondering If I could receive some help from you guys.

Im trying to put projectors into my doors, as you can see i've installed one so far.

10314729_634463919970563_7334201458994716314_n.jpg

As you can see it has a positive and a negative cable deriving from the projector.

10300326_634463879970567_2671572550495806893_n.jpg

10354176_634463939970561_4978913913754144728_n.jpg

10389362_634463966637225_5114357719974354745_n.jpg

10275936_634463896637232_8900846343995158945_n.jpg

The little black gromet is the thing that tells the car either the cars door is open or closed, so i'm trying to tap into that wire, the problem is that its only one wire, it has no positive or negative, so i'm unsure of how to do this, the wire is green and as you can see i follow it all the way down to the bottom section which has another switch to it, i'm unsure if that green wire is the same green wire as the single wire i'm trying to tap into, but anyways if anyone could help me I would appreciate it a lot, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,538 Posts
The dome light is positive-grounded. That little wire behind the grommet is negative. I have done what you are (I think?) trying to do and I accomplished it by doing the following:
The positive of whatever the projector is that you want to hook up goes to the interior fuse box (I'll try to remember to check which fuse the dome light is).
The negative gets tapped into that wire on the b-pillar.
Door opens light goes on. Door closes light fades off.

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
click.jpg

click.jpg

Is that so? Wow and to think it was positive I was just about to say that I had found some good negative ends as you can see in the images above, are you sure it's negative?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so I ran into another problem, that green wire is always hot but it's weird because when I connect the projector to the green wire and to the ground, the projector is off while the door is open and it lights up when the door closes, it's like opposite of what I want it to do, I want it to light up when the door opens and not be on when the door is closed, if anyone could help out and tell me what I can try doing?, I read on another post that a guy has his doors setup with lighting that will light up that specific light, kind of like the projectors I'm installing when an individual door is opened, maybe a converter of some type?, I don't know, if anyone could help me out please I really want this working >.<

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Btw if anyone that could help my car information is: 2013 honda civic si 4 dr, no navi

Okay I might have found a solution to this, If it works which it most likely will, it will be awesome assuming as that single specific projector will only turn on when that specific door does.

What i found is a relay, which inverts the negative power to a positive output, so thus when the door opens it will be positive power turning on the projector and when the door closes the projector will be off, DWils, you were right after all, its a negative wire output.

The wiring should go something like this, I don't know which wires go where on the relay, if someone could help out on this, that would be great, this is my first time doing all of this so i'm no genius on this matter, but i do search around.

neg2pos.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so i got it to work, i just need to get some little more things if anyone has been keeping up with this I guess DIY since only one mod has pitched in to give some advice....

Here is the relay video I've made on the progress.... you can use some Velcro to attach it to the b pillar section so the relay won't be hanging, ill make a video once everything is set and ready and what not

·
Registered
638 Posts
Electric 101. The battery NEGATIVE terminal is grounded. The car is NEGATIVE GROUND. The door switch is a simple single pole/single throw switch. When the door opens, the switch closes and the light goes on. Another way to approach this is to have the switch open and close the NEGATIVE side path to ground. That means that +12 volts is always present at the switch but there is no ground so there is no light activation. When it's wired that way, the Dome lights can be turned on independently simply by having the switch complete the NEGATIVE (ground) circuit.
Positive ground? Uhhhh Nope!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Okay so i got it to work, i just need to get some little more things if anyone has been keeping up with this I guess DIY since only one mod has pitched in to give some advice....

Here is the relay video I've made on the progress.... you can use some Velcro to attach it to the b pillar section so the relay won't be hanging, ill make a video once everything is set and ready and what not
You didn't need a relay. You could simply have run 12 volts to the positive side of the projector light and hooked the negative to the switched side of the door switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn't need a relay. You could simply have run 12 volts to the positive side of the projector light and hooked the negative to the switched side of the door switch.
but are you sure that would activate at the correct timings?, my car is at the bodyshop being fixed up, but once i get it back ill give that a try, might even return the relays if it does work, sorry i'm just new so idk I guess I got too excited lol..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Electric 101. The battery NEGATIVE terminal is grounded. The car is NEGATIVE GROUND. The door switch is a simple single pole/single throw switch. When the door opens, the switch closes and the light goes on. Another way to approach this is to have the switch open and close the NEGATIVE side path to ground. That means that +12 volts is always present at the switch but there is no ground so there is no light activation. When it's wired that way, the Dome lights can be turned on independently simply by having the switch complete the NEGATIVE (ground) circuit.
Positive ground? Uhhhh Nope!
ahhh okay so disregard my last quote post, so once the negative trigger switches it will make full function of the projector otherwise it will just be off just as the dome lights are..., thanks for the help guys once I get my baby back i'll finish up this project, has anyone have any idea how i get 12+ positive from the inside of the car?, thats the next wall I have to go through :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts