9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Skip to Cliffs if you don't want my life story.)

Ok, Ok... So I haven't actually been waiting 5 months for my new Si (but given my situation I pretty much have been waiting that long). Long story short, I used to own an 8th Gen Si(4dr FTW!). I live in a small town in Canada where people apparently aren't familiar with traffic rules and I was t-boned going through a green light... I did not run a yellow, I did not time it out for a green, it was green 100ft before the fkn "accident" occurred.

Anyway, aside from the poor driving I have to deal with where I live, I also have to deal with probably the shittiest insurance experience imaginable. The coverage I had was the best available, New Vehicle replacement cost and a rental car in the case of an accident or total loss. The accident happened back in May, I'm still waiting on my replacement vehicle (2012 Si) and my insurer has given me a rental for the total of 10 FKN DAYS!? Brutal. After the accident, I wasn't very interested in the new Si at first glance (not just cause of wait times), so I was looking at a used 2008 350z Nismo, my insurer told me it was a valid option one day, I set things up with the dealership, and the next day my insurer tells me it isn't an option to replace with a used vehicle. :mad:

Needless to say, I'm back at square one (or maybe it's minus square one, can't decide yet). I put a deposit down in at the end of July, and was told late October/ early November. In the meantime, I have realized a civic is much more practical than a 350, but at the same time I find myself reading one too many reviews discussing how the new civic is cheapened in the interior...No cupholder cover, non-sliding armrest, over-crowded steering wheel NoOoOoOoO!!!!!!! Not to mention my biggest pet peeve is the bigger displacement in the engine with virtually no gains. The way I see it, if you wanted more torque you should have just gotten a 4cyl TSX or Accord.

I have been trying to be more optimistic about it, but have a bad feeling I'm going to miss the 8000 redline :( among other things. Anyway, too end my overly long intro, my dealer has told me my car is built and just needs to be shipped, anyone have any idea how long this should take? They told me worst case scenario, end of the month, but if the car is already made I don't see why it shouldn't be here within the next week and a half.

cliffs:
-8th gen Black Si Sedan totalled
-waiting on 2012 TW Si Coupe
-not too sure what I think about the new Si but I'll suck it up eventually
-dealer says new Si is built, how long should this take to go through transit?

Just for shiz and giggles, this was the old Si I had.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did not come from an 8th gen I came from a 1994 Cadillac deville, so I do not know much about the previous generation, but I know now that WOW this car is great, awesome power, awesome ride and yes the interior does look little dulled down but hey you will be driving it not staring at the dash! You will love this car man. plain and simple, and about the 8k redline believe me 7k is enough for this car you will feel and hear it!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I test drove a 2012 Si sedan... loved it! Ordered a coupe! Yeah... the interior seems a tad cheap, but it's really not bad... certainly better than the 350Z!

Where about in Canada do you live? I placed an order about 8 days ago, car will be built in November (exact date not confirmed yet) and was told it will take about five days from the moment it's finished to be shipped to the dealer. Mind you... I only live about an hour away from the plant.

BTW... nice choice... I ordered a white Si coupe too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Regina, SK. I Would think if the car was actually built it shouldn't take much longer than 5 days either. I test drove a sedan a couple days ago for the first time, and the torque was nice, and maybe I'll get over the cheap interior plastics, seeing as how Honda usually has all the touch points right. White is where it's at!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been waiting since April since a SOP Si sedan and it looks like it could be until next April until it comes because of the colour. I feel your pain man, waiting sucks. Where abouts in Canada are you?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good luck with your Si!! Fun car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been waiting since April since a SOP Si sedan and it looks like it could be until next April until it comes because of the colour. I feel your pain man, waiting sucks. Where abouts in Canada are you?

wHAT!!! so now i dont feel that bad i live in Va Beach and ordered a dino blue si /nav in AUG. and i was told it will take 2 to 4 months

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
2012 TW Si Coupe w/ HFP kit - My Review, Photoshoot, & Future Mods

I Previously owned an 8th Si Sedan, which was a total loss covered under my replacement vehicle insurance. When it came to looking for a replacement vehicle I was very hesitant to make the change to the 9th. 9thgencivic members who visit regularily would probably describe me as a hater, troll or the like. However, I am here today happy to report that I'm very satisfied with my new Si with only three days of ownership.

First impressions -
Exterior looks much nicer in person, although it looks good in pictures I wasn't expecting a car that looks so much like it's older brother with a touch of sport:happy: , partially do to the HFP add-on. I always loved the present gen Accord Coupe but the new (Civic) Coupe wasn't something that I always liked; even when I already had it on order with a deposit (because of insurance obligations) I was second guessing myself. But, as someone put it, the same thing happened with the 8th's and Honda's age well. I would have never imagined owning anything close to the (current gen) Accord, I'm only 19 and the 9th gen Civic makes the 8th look like a much lower class car.

When it came to the interior I was overwhelmed and expecting the worst. I live in Canada, so there is both i-Mid and Nav standard. Looking at pictures before ownership, I thought to myself "Wow, this dash has way too much going on, F**K. MY. LIFE." This, after I already had the car ordered :unsure:. Pretty much, I lowered my expectations so much for the interior because of the fact that it seemed way to gimmicky and all of the reviews slammed it for the plastics. After picking up the car and the hours that followed, my mind hadn't changed, it was a little too much to take in. Now, I LOVE the interior. Everything is so well put together and cohesive, blew my mind! My Dad drives an '08 335xi, minus nav. And BT Hands-free, iPod operation etc, is PALE in comparison. Oh, and the plastics don't bother me nearly as much as I was expecting, I do however plan on doing some tasteful mod's to the color scheme of the dash and maybe the doors.

The engine was probably my biggest misconception while I was waiting. Like I have already said, I'm 19. Having Vtec in my last Civic was one of the reasons I bought it to begin with. Some say that it is ricey, I say it was a fun car for the fact that it created the illusion of a faster car then it actually was. When it comes to the new k24z7, I shook my head at the mere +4 hp gain. I wasn't sure how useful 170lbs. of torque would be. However, after driving for a couple of days I completely understand why they did this. It makes life so much easier! :rockwoot: Not to mention I wasn't expecting it to maintain a fun factor anywhere relatively close to last gen, I was wrong. I'm impressed.

Mods:
-HFP Aerokit
-5% Back windows

Future Mods:
-6000k 55w HIDs from RetroSolutions
-35% on front roll-downs
-Custom LED Tail lights
-Tweaks to the interior (refinish a couple panels, ambient light)
-Maybe projectors but I don't think they're worth the money for the time being
-Eibach lowering springs in Spring

I don't want to give too much of my plans away, that's all for now folks.

-About the pictures, I'm sure they're pretty amateur to the trained eye of a photographer but it's just something I do for fun so don't take 'em to seriously.

:feedback:

EDIT// The 2013 Refresh - With all the talk that goes on around here lately about it, I felt the need to comment. Why buy a new vehicle you aren't 100% satisfied with, why are people acting like they feel cheated. You either like you're new investment or you do not. If you have to have everything that is new, trade in or sell you're 2012, problem solved now quit crying. :S-A-Smack:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice. I too came from an 8th gen. 8th gen EX coupe to 9th gen EX coupe. Pretty much the same situation as you. Some lady caused an accident on the freeway, and my 8th gen was totalled :(. But I'm liking my 9th gen coupe :yahoo:.

BTW, what LED tail lights did you install?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sweet ride! I picked up the same car this last Saturday. Love the Aerokit, just couldn't afford it. I knew I wanted this car when I started looking couple months ago. I love the car. All the negative talk about the car have not changed my opinion about it one bit. I do have a pic of it on the thread I started yesterday. I will post more pics soon. Enjoy your new ride, I am!

·
Registered
16 Posts
great review dude, thanks for the detailed write-up. nice job on the pics too...not bad for an "amateur."

I am also considering the TW Si with the HFP body kit and wheels, so it was nice to see the pics you shared.

any chance of some close-ups of the interior?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very pretty Si! I'm normally not a fan of white, but your pics (and others I've seen) have changed my mind :)

What do you think of the engine sound compared to the 8th?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, what LED tail lights did you install?
Haha I think you need to read more carefully my friend, future mods. My dad has a friend who has been modding headlights/tailights for years and we are integrating LEDs into the stock housing, going for something clean like the new Maxima and newer Audi's. But let's just say that's in the early development stage, I'm waiting to lower it before I do that. So, early next spring.

any chance of some close-ups of the interior?
Anything in specific? I ask because there are a lot of interior pictures on Google.

What do you think of the engine sound compared to the 8th?
To put it the simplest way possible, the 8th screams, the 9th purs. That being said, the 9th is a lot louder than I expected, I pretty well like both equally.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sharp looking car, even though i dont really like the shape of the coupe. I was *this* close to getting the HFP kit, but i feel it's just too high risk. Last thing i want to do is come out to my driveway one day to see everything ripped off and halfway to mexico by that point. I do like it in white, even though i had to settle for PMM it's really growing on me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was *this* close to getting the HFP kit, but i feel it's just too high risk. Last thing i want to do is come out to my driveway one day to see everything ripped off and halfway to mexico by that point.
I have never heard of something like that happening in the GTA dude...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I wasn't sure how useful 170lbs. of torque would be. However, after driving for a couple of days I completely understand why they did this. It makes life so much easier! :rockwoot: Not to mention I wasn't expecting it to maintain a fun factor anywhere relatively close to last gen, I was wrong. I'm impressed.
Wait - you like it now? I am glad we stuck with you and now that you've seen the light, enjoy your new ride. I wasn't sure about the HFP kits and such but the more I see the more I'm liking them (and must have really in the coupe)... great color with TW too. :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glad you changed your mind about the new car.
I fell in love with the 8th gen coupe when it first rolled into the showroom... I didn't get the same feeling when I saw the 9th gen coupe... until later. Now when you look at the 8th coupe beside the 9th gen, the 8th just looks stubby & outdated... I never thought I'd say that about the 8th...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts