9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in HIDs and the passenger side keeps going out whenever my lights are left on Auto and I start the car. I put in a relay hoping it would stop but it still happens each time the car starts. I am not sure if its something to do with the car itself, the HID kit or the relay
The 2 sides are different colours too, one is brighter than the other

has anyone else had this problem?

also my ballasts are slim not sure if that could be a problem too...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would try swapping the bulbs or ballast and see if the issue persists on the same side.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ziitaku H.I.D :/
Glad to hear it's not Diode Dynamics because I'm thinking of buying one of their kits...do what the other poster said...rule out what is not causing the problem and that will normally lead you to the culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear it's not Diode Dynamics because I'm thinking of buying one of their kits...do what the other poster said...rule out what is not causing the problem and that will normally lead you to the culprit.
tell me if that works well for you, if my problem persists I would need to look into getting a new one
some people i have talked to think its because I have slim ballasts rather than the big chunking looking ones

·
Registered
120 Posts
So HIDs do not like to be turned on, then quickly off then back on again. Most likely what is happening is when you get in the car with the headlights on auto the car is turning on the headlights. half a minute later you are starting the car which actually shuts off the headlights so the starter has full power and then the headlights turn back on. this On off on scenario is had for the lamps and the ballasts. Higher quality units will handle the issue better which is probably why one of the lights works fine and the other is having problems. One "fix" for this is to replace the relay in your relay harness with one that continues to power the lights for a small amount of time even when the headlights are told to not be on, such as when starting the car. I used this time delay relay in my setup:

Beuler BU508TD 12 VDC Automotive 4-Pin SPST Time Delay Relay with adjustable timing

I have it set to keep powering the lights for about 5 seconds after the switch side of the relay loses power. This is long enough for the lights to stay on through the starting of the car and not noticeably longer when I turn the car off at night.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So HIDs do not like to be turned on, then quickly off then back on again. Most likely what is happening is when you get in the car with the headlights on auto the car is turning on the headlights. half a minute later you are starting the car which actually shuts off the headlights so the starter has full power and then the headlights turn back on. this On off on scenario is bad for the lamps and the ballasts.
THIS.

You can do what Spelvin suggested which is a cool option, or you could always go back to the oldd days and manually turn your lights on & off. That's what I do. I have HID's in my fogs as well, and I also turn them on/off separately from the headlights. Good habit to get into because HID's definitely can be picky.

And like others said, determining what's not the problem will lead you to your problem.

You can check out my post in this thread which will give you some good insight to troubleshooting HID's:

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/lighting-h-i-d-s-neon/169362-hid-problem.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts