9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like your car doesn't like them. Personally, I'd start fresh, you can find very good HID kits from DDM Tuning, takes a couple weeks to get them cause they ship from China, but they're quality HID's with a lifetime warranty. I've had mine on since November last year and I've had ZERO issues, for $50, you can't beat it.

X2 on this one, just sounds like you have a bad kit.

I have been running DDM kits in my cars for several years now with no issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Would replacing the fuse from a 10amp to a 15amp help this problem? I still don't understand why I had the VSA, power steering and hand brake light come when i had installed them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dude you had a bad ballast. get a new 35w kit and it should work fine... you shouldn't have to even touch the fuses, it's just a plug n play.
Also i had tried the ballast that was buzzing on the drivers side and switched it to the passengers and it worked fine. Not really sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I still don't understand why I had the VSA, power steering and hand brake light come when i had installed them.
I was suspecting electrical interference from the HID ballast and HV wires being too close to the ABS unit and its wiring. (You wouldn't be the first one to have it happen.)

All those systems are directly tied to the ABS computer, and you installed the HID ballast very close to it. There is little or no electrical shielding for that computer or its wiring, (or if there is, it's not enough to protect it from the ballast).

The HID ballast is capable of producing enough voltage to fire a spark plug (10,000+ volts), and you set it very close to a computer that is super sensitive to millivolt changes for communication with other computers on the network, and for doing its job.

Kinda like having a lightning bolt strike the wires going to your laptop or smartphone, but without all the melty stuff happening. The computer freaks out because it saw all sorts of wrong input voltages and data.

I don't think a bigger fuse will help a darn thing either.
Swap pieces between the side that works and the side that doesn't until you figure out what piece is the cause of the non-working light.

HTH

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would get a new set. DDM Tuning sells em for 35 if you're local to Orange County. They offer a lifetime warranty. For all my retrofit customers, I always use DDM tuning kits for my work. They've yet to let me down. Also, when a ballast burns out, I just walk into the store, get em exchanged and no questions asked.

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

I'm not an advertiser, just trying to help others get good deals. You can also search the forums for a how to on retrofitting projectors into 9th gen headlights. One is written by me and I believe there's another one that's just as informative, but not written by me.

Any questions, PM me and I'll PM you my number if you got any questions.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Stay away from ebay hids, half of them are riddled with problems and glitches. I bought a morimoto kit from LightWerkz for my old civic (when I had projectors) and they worked perfectly fine, and lasted much longer than any of the ebay kits. Before i knew anything about hids, i had a xentec kit from ebay and the ballasts always died.
Ideally you should only use hids when retrofitting proper hid projectors, but that idea has been tossed out the window years ago...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Baned
8,533 Posts
Any recommended brands or sites to buy off.
There are a few suggestions in this thread already, but just search for HID in the search bar and there is a huge thread with HID brand recommendations and which to stay away from. I would post a link but I can't on the app with my phone. Good luck!

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would recommend these volts they are great and you can find a coupon code for them a little expensive but they work great plug and play without any

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem on a customers '13 Civic. Had the ballast to close to the ABS and it light up the gauge cluster with all kinds of warning lights. Didn't seem to affect anything as far as drivability though. If I turned the lights on and of several times the warning lights would go away but come back on later. Came down to EMI from the ballast being to close to the ABS module. I moved it away from it and no problems since.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts