9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get annoied with this issue, my HIDs have been flickering so I decided to take them back but they told me I need the anti flicker capacitors so I bought them and put them on, changed the fuses from a 10 to a 30 for the headlight and they still keep flickering. can anyone help me outwith this issue?

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
did u gotten ur hids for you low beams? or high beams/ DRl?
if low beams u should have zero problem unless you gotten a bad ballest..
plus depends what brand hid's u gottan i recommend volt kit from xenondepot kbcarstuff.com

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are your high beams flickering (DRL) or your low beams? Like Trung09 said if it's the lows flickering then it's 99.9% a bad ballest. If it's your highs flickering and you didn't hook up a DRL relay then they will do that because they are not getting enough consistant power for HIDs to power up. When the DRL are on the power source is a pulse to supply high beam bulb half power, when high beam is turned on the power is consistant resulting in full brightness from bulb.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are your high beams flickering (DRL) or your low beams? Like Trung09 said if it's the lows flickering then it's 99.9% a bad ballest. If it's your highs flickering and you didn't hook up a DRL relay then they will do that because they are not getting enough consistant power for HIDs to power up. When the DRL are on the power source is a pulse to supply high beam bulb half power, when high beam is turned on the power is consistant resulting in full brightness from bulb.
That!^

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have searched for answers, but haven't come across anything other than bad ballasts or bulbs. Since installing my DDM Tuning HIDs I have noticed the left headlight and right fog light flicker during warm up. The flickering occurs only when the car is running. When the car is off, there is no flickering whatsoever. Thoughts?

Video of the HID warm up while the car is off:

·
Registered
203 Posts
just a guess, I might be way off here. the HID kit you installed might not have proper capacitors built into them (not sure if they are supposed to have them or not) so the warm up doesn't flicker when the car is off because the current is a steady voltage. when you start it up you are seeing the pulses from the alternator, and the way it generates voltage isn't being smoothed out, therefore showing itself in the way the HID is warming up.

idk ...

Reactions: bigfrank21

·
Registered
734 Posts
just a guess, I might be way off here. the HID kit you installed might not have proper capacitors built into them (not sure if they are supposed to have them or not) so the warm up doesn't flicker when the car is off because the current is a steady voltage. when you start it up you are seeing the pulses from the alternator, and the way it generates voltage isn't being smoothed out, therefore showing itself in the way the HID is warming up.

idk ...
That's a possibility. I bought a couple relay harnesses, one for the low beams and one for the fogs. Perhaps they will eliminate the flickering.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Keep in mind that, unless they changed their policy since I bought mine, DDMTuning offers lifetime warranties on their HIDs
They still do.

Just to let you know, it's not the ballasts. It's pulsing from the alternator. It happens on other cars too. Install the relay and see if that corrects it.

Edit: *not
Thanks for the clarification. I figured it had something to do with the alternator. The relay harnesses are in, I just need to find time to install them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts