9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to swap out my high beam bulbs for something less yellow to match my 6000k HID low beams. Initially I wanted to get HID's for the high's but a lot of people are saying that there is a problem with the DRL's when doing this. What I got from it was that the ballasts don't get enough power when trying to use DRL's and this causes flickering or a strobe effect. I would rather not pull the DRL fuse and lose that functionality. Another option I thought of was an LED bulb but I haven't heard much good things about it. Althought they would solve the DRL problem they wouldn't do much for giving off high beam light. I live out in the country side of town so I use my highs a lot and need good high beams.

So essentially I want to keep my DRL's and still have good high beams. Anyone got any suggestions that won't break the bank? I would love to get HID's but the DRL part of it makes me nervous. Someone chime in with some suggestions. Thank you!

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
what about nokya bulbs? or PIAA bulbs?

·
2,264 Posts
Aren't they expensive bulbs and also they're very high in watts? Seems like they would go out quick?
idk lol i got nokya 55w hyper yellow for my fogs.. so far so good. but idk about for high beams.. should go more research bud

·
2,264 Posts
i would try to go with piaa
nokya seems to cheap for high beams

·
2,264 Posts
yeah with the PIAA bulbs i could get a set of hid's
but yeah hope more ppl give more suggestions

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
HIDs for the high beam is not suggested.

The high beam functions as the DRL. In the DRL state, the power given to the bulb is about half that of the full high beam. Given this, the HIDs (which either run ON or OFF) will be underpowered and thus flicker (and/or the lifespan of the HID will be drastically shortened). You COULD use a relay and this would solve this issue, but then you would literally be driving with your high beam on at all times.

Not to mention, high beams are useful as they can be flicked on to flash and signal another car etc. HIDs are not meant for quick flashes. If you've ever had HIDs you know that they require a moment to heat up. You should also know that frequent flicking on and off of HIDs also lowers their life span. Flicking on HIDs will hot strike the ballast and potentially damage them, and certainly lower their life span as well..

It really isn't suggested to use HIDs as a high beam, there are too many issues. You'd be lowering the usability and life span of that module.

If you want a white light, get the arctic white nokya, or those silverstars. And I don't see how nokyas are too cheap to be used as DRLs, they're good bulbs. Think of it this way, many people use Nokya as fogs, which are on all the time, while high beams are rarely used, which are more used? So why would high beams require a more expensive bulb? Point is, you should get a good halogen bulb, and stay away from HIDs for high beams.

I used Nokyas as DRLs, without any issue, they function perfectly and are reliable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The high beam functions as the DRL. In the DRL state, the power given to the bulb is about half that of the full high beam. Given this, the HIDs (which either run ON or OFF) will be underpowered and thus flicker (and/or the lifespan of the HID will be drastically shortened). You COULD use a relay and this would solve this issue, but then you would literally be driving with your high beam on at all times.

Not to mention, high beams are useful as they can be flicked on to flash and signal another car etc. HIDs are not meant for quick flashes. If you've ever had HIDs you know that they require a moment to heat up. You should also know that frequent flicking on and off of HIDs also lowers their life span. Flicking on HIDs will hot strike the ballast and potentially damage them, and certainly lower their life span as well..

It really isn't suggested to use HIDs as a high beam, there are too many issues. You'd be lowering the usability and life span of that module.

If you want a white light, get the arctic white nokya, or those silverstars. And I don't see how nokyas are too cheap to be used as DRLs, they're good bulbs. Think of it this way, many people use Nokya as fogs, which are on all the time, while high beams are rarely used, which are more used? So why would high beams require a more expensive bulb? Point is, you should get a good halogen bulb, and stay away from HIDs for high beams.

I used Nokyas as DRLs, without any issue, they function perfectly and are reliable.
Great information. I think ill be going for a pair of halogen bulbs as my highs.

Sent from my Desire HD

·
Registered
717 Posts

Well said. Great information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've found the Nokya Arctic White for my highbeams. They come in 65w and 100w. Any suggestions on which ones are better? Also, Nokya Hyper Yellow for the fogs, should I do 80w or 55w?
I have 8000k HIDs in low beam.
If anyone has better ideas, let me know.
This forum has been fantastic! Saved me a lot of money for installation!! Just wish I had seen this thread BEFORE I ordered HIDs for the highbeam! Oh well, back they go!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm told the Nokya bulbs will still appear yellow, no matter what you put, when using the daytime running lights.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What part # bulbs are the highbeams for the Si? Good info in this thread. I drive on a windy mountain road, mostly at night. My highbeams are switched on and off repeatedly depending on how much traffic is coming the other way. My only concern is visibility, I dont care how they look. I noticed that the Piaa's run around $60, while the Nokya's run around $15. Is there a huge difference in quality and brightness? $15 is cheap enough to just try and if I don't like them, just take them out. $60 is not. Also, I am colorblind. Does anyone know if a different color temperature may be better for me?

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
I've found the Nokya Arctic White for my highbeams. They come in 65w and 100w. Any suggestions on which ones are better? Also, Nokya Hyper Yellow for the fogs, should I do 80w or 55w?
I have 8000k HIDs in low beam.
If anyone has better ideas, let me know.
This forum has been fantastic! Saved me a lot of money for installation!! Just wish I had seen this thread BEFORE I ordered HIDs for the highbeam! Oh well, back they go!
I have the lower wattage, stock setup on my car. They were an improvement over stock for sure, especially the yellow fogs. I think the lower watt setup will be just fine especially if you're starting with HID lows. For the higher watt pieces, you'll need to upgrade the wiring harness to a lower gauge wire to handle the higher output of the stage 2. There are plug & play Nokya harnesses for $10-20 you can get on eBay with your $20 bulbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the lower wattage, stock setup on my car. They were an improvement over stock for sure, especially the yellow fogs. I think the lower watt setup will be just fine especially if you're starting with HID lows. For the higher watt pieces, you'll need to upgrade the wiring harness to a lower gauge wire to handle the higher output of the stage 2. There are plug & play Nokya harnesses for $10-20 you can get on eBay with your $20 bulbs.
Thanks so much! Placing the order today!
:2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts