9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am needing to update my headlight bulbs on my 2014 si coupe. I am torn as to whether i should go with high end halogens or LED bulbs. I would like LED but i read that they do emit a lot of heat which could be dangerous to surrounding cables. I am just looking for something cost effecient, safe, but bright and looks the best for the money. Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Headlight optics are a tricky thing. You want increased output, but not at the expense of reliability/durability or blinding oncoming traffic.
In general, I've recommended sticking with the same type of headlight that the car came with; so if your car came from the factory with halogen bulbs, that's what you should stick with.
I'm not sure if they are compatible with the coupe, but look for HIR bulbs. They're still halogens but quite a bit brighter, they won't fry your wiring harness or blind oncoming traffic (since you're not changing the OEM reflector housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Headlight optics are a tricky thing. You want increased output, but not at the expense of reliability/durability or blinding oncoming traffic.
In general, I've recommended sticking with the same type of headlight that the car came with; so if your car came from the factory with halogen bulbs, that's what you should stick with.
I'm not sure if they are compatible with the coupe, but look for HIR bulbs. They're still halogens but quite a bit brighter, they won't fry your wiring harness or blind oncoming traffic (since you're not changing the OEM reflector housing.
Awesome thanks for the input!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got a set of Morimoto 2stroke LEDs and they're not stupid bright like the last set I had in there. As far as I can tell, they're fine since nobody has flashed at me like they did the times with the other no name set. So brighter then halogen but not as bright as HIDs.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
been discussed too many times. LED will give you a brighter light, less focused and not near the throw in standard reflector housing. worse lights for safe driving. HID's aren't much better with the reflector housing. the higher output halogen bulbs (sylvania, phillips) are probably the best avenue to go. brighter light, focused and long throw in standard housings.

if you want to change out your housings, then HID would probably be the best alternative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been discussed too many times. LED will give you a brighter light, less focused and not near the throw in standard reflector housing. worse lights for safe driving. HID's aren't much better with the reflector housing. the higher output halogen bulbs (sylvania, phillips) are probably the best avenue to go. brighter light, focused and long throw in standard housings.

if you want to change out your housings, then HID would probably be the best alternative.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys This might be a stupid question but regarding the drl/high beam combo bulb, I know if you switch that to LED it's likely that a decoder will be needed in order to properly switch between the 2. If i get a high end halogen for the drl/high beam, can i just use any 9005 bulb without needing anything additional?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts