9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize as I have searched, but have not found the results I was looking for. I am in the market for summer rims and tires, and I drive 400+ miles (highway) a week. Interested in opinions on which performance tire gives you the most bang for your buck and wears the best. Looking for an efficicent tire that rolls well, wears exceptional, but gives me enough grip when I wanna play around. Coming from the lifted pickup life of wearing out expensive tires quickly, I realized too late how nice it was to sacrifice the "look" just a little for a better wearing tire. Once again these are summer wheels/tires as I will be keeping my stock SI rims and tires for winter time. Just wanted to see what fellow commuters and enthuisiasts are running. Price is not my biggest concern as I would rather have a high quality tire! Also would like to maintain stock mpgs. If there is a thread I should be looking at, feel free to direct me. Thanks!

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
I've put BFGoodrich Sport Comp2 summers on my ride. Have 5000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing nicely and perform very well when I wanna toss the car around.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
115 Posts
Went with falken 612 tires that have a 40000 mile warranty even on 40 series tires.

Reactions: Johnny DemonT

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! BFgoodrich tires always seem to be great. Always ran ATs and MTs on my trucks. I will have to read up on the falken 612's. Appreciate the responses

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.

Reactions: Johnny DemonT

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

^Yep. I had the oem summer tires for my Si replaced with the MX4's just a couple weeks ago. I put 15k on those summer tires all hwy, decided to keep them since its such a low milage but I doubt I'll put them back on as they are more than half way gone. I think the tread wear # on those was half compared to the MX4. I drive a ton of hwy daily so summer tires won't be a future option.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.
Correct.
A Michelin tire will suit you well.
I always get about 60-70k mikes out of them, if rotated as scheduled.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"
Stock Si tires are the MX4. U r correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts