9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to plug in a higher wattage bulb into the 3rd stop light on the rear deck? This to accommodate tinted windows that are reducing the visibility of the 3rd light?

·
Registered
896 Posts
They're supposed to cut out part of the tint so the 3rd light isnt blocked. Blocking it is illegal in a lot of states. They had to cut ours. Looks fine.
If you havent had yours tinted yet just tell them to make sure they cut it. If its already been done take it back and have them re-do it.

Heres a 2 pics of ours. I had to take them at an angle because its in my garage and wasnt much room to get behind it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you can also try an LED bulb. Tey are suppose to be brighter. I would try a red one though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're supposed to cut out part of the tint so the 3rd light isnt blocked. Blocking it is illegal in a lot of states. They had to cut ours. Looks fine.
If you havent had yours tinted yet just tell them to make sure they cut it. If its already been done take it back and have them re-do it.

Heres a 2 pics of ours. I had to take them at an angle because its in my garage and wasnt much room to get behind it.

I have an appointment for the tint van to come to my home to install it next week. I was not planning to put a cutout notch as I thought the lighter interior housing would contrast to the tint finish. Does the glass finish also look different by cutting it out too?

I am not sure if putting a larger bulb is an option. Is the bulb base the same for higher wattage. Does it blow out the fuse. Or if it create other problems.

·
Registered
896 Posts
To me there isnt any contrast. They cut it to fit so perfect it blends in great. I think if it was blocked it would have looked tacky. The light was put there to be seen so blocking it would just be weird to me. It also depends on how dark you go though. We went 15% to stay legal in our state so if you have to go higher then that in the 20's blocking the light wont look as bad and everyone should still be able to see it fine. We have 28% on our front windows and at that percentage it would still show through the tint fine. I would ask when you have your tint done if its illegal to block the light where you live unless it doesnt matter to you. You could even ask them to put a piece of tint in front of the light and have someone press the brake so you can see how much light shines though.

As far as different bulbs go I myself cant answer that. I dont have a clue about that kind of stuff, but if someone else sees this thread I'm sure they can answer that part.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Yeah I don't like having the cutout. I haven't got my windows tinted yet but the legal in MA is only 35% so I can mist likely get away with having no cutout.

My last car had no cut but I removed the 3rd light all together because the spoiler had one... Not going to be an option on the civic but hopefully I'll have no cutout still!

A brighter light and/or led replacement would be a nice upgrade though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you get and have 35% then the 3rd light should have no problem shining through it and others behind you should have no problems seeing it.
I grew up in MA. I hated their laws for cars. High tint %, inspections, etc..
I defiantly dont miss the yearly inspections, excise tax, and how much it all is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be going with a 35% tint so it isn't totally blacked out. So drivers behind me should still be able to see not only my 3rd light but hopefully the 3rd light of the person in front of me. However my preference would be for the person directly behind me to have the best opportunity not to hit me. And hope to have the most visible 3rd light.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Yeah with 35% you should have no problems! Try to avoid the cut... Looks alot cleaner with a full tint

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah with 35% you should have no problems! Try to avoid the cut... Looks alot cleaner with a full tint

Yeah it still will be visible. Still like to boost it back up to the oem visibility. Picky me. Also may keep the cops away more also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The final outcome. I had Llumar CTX 30 ceramic film installed. I received enough heat rejection with the ceramic and it is at the darkness I desire. Dark enough to make the rear windows look integrated yet enough light transmission from the 3rd brake light. No cutout. Thanks everyone for the comments.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
hmmm, my opinion....tint as dark as you want and remove the blub from the 3rd brake light. Most states on require 2 functioning brakes lights and the 3rd is a safety light basically for higher vehicles. It is not illegal to remove this light (at least in most states).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Actually my understanding is that the 3rd brakes light is a DOT requirement for cars after a certain year. Also it has to be able to transmit a signal for a certain specified distance.

Today I had my tint installed. Llumar CTX 30 ceramic. The light transmission is pretty good with the CTX30 which allows the 3rd light to be visible when lit. No cutout for 3rd lamp. Still would be interested in boosting the light level. So if anyone have any additional thought that would be good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts