9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went about 90 just to open it up have not in some time, I hit the brake and the steering wheel shook, that is just an alignment right? And, or rotation?

Just replaced oil with Honda 0w-20, and k and n filter.....

what else do you suggest to do at 38k miles? anything I am missing?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like you might have a warped brake rotor. Oh, it could have been the ABS system kicking in.

Did it happen only once? Can you reproduce the issue at lower speeds?

Oil and filter change would(should)not have anything to do with the steering wheel.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
255 Posts
turn the rotors and put in new pads, at some point you have been braking hard, heated up the rotors and warpped them. it only takes a few thosands out of true to start vibrating

·
Registered
496 Posts
at 38,000 miles should be rotors, they go out of true even if you do not torque the wheel nuts properly or if you leave the car sitting for a few days and the pads rust to the rotors, leaving a rust spot that also can cause pulsation, not to mention the wera and tear aspect the others have mentioned

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Odyssey is notorious for this. Go for the easy things first. Balance the tires and ensure it tracks straight when on a flat road. If not, get an alignment. Rotors will pulse at all speeds, not just at high speeds. If you feel no pulsing at low speeds, look elsewhere first. On the Odyssey, if the balance and alignment is ok, you have to look at the engine mounts and drive shafts. PITA. For maintenance at 38k? I fly on the conservative side. Start considering a coolant change in your future.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Most likely the shudder and shake you describe was caused by front brake rotors out of specifications.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hit the brakes hard? Eased onto the brakes? Car in gear? If so, which gear and how many rpms?
Uh I hit them hard , kind of combo. Car was in 5th gear, or 4th, cant remember. high rpms I think, maybe midde.

Sounds like you might have a warped brake rotor. Oh, it could have been the ABS system kicking in.

Did it happen only once? Can you reproduce the issue at lower speeds?

Oil and filter change would(should)not have anything to do with the steering wheel.
I changed the brake pads and new rotors, less than 5k miles ago I think, maybe 10, it doesnt do it at lower speeds.

turn the rotors and put in new pads, at some point you have been braking hard, heated up the rotors and warpped them. it only takes a few thosands out of true to start vibrating
yeah could be car has been sitting for a few days

at 38,000 miles should be rotors, they go out of true even if you do not torque the wheel nuts properly or if you leave the car sitting for a few days and the pads rust to the rotors, leaving a rust spot that also can cause pulsation, not to mention the wera and tear aspect the others have mentioned
well I replaced them to a more high performance type of rotor, and break pad probably less than 10k miles ago, was starting to kind of get to the point to turn them, didnt want to, guy I know works at NTB general manager hooked me up everything for $250

The Odyssey is notorious for this. Go for the easy things first. Balance the tires and ensure it tracks straight when on a flat road. If not, get an alignment. Rotors will pulse at all speeds, not just at high speeds. If you feel no pulsing at low speeds, look elsewhere first. On the Odyssey, if the balance and alignment is ok, you have to look at the engine mounts and drive shafts. PITA. For maintenance at 38k? I fly on the conservative side. Start considering a coolant change in your future.
Yeah I am going to do that here shortly.
Most likely the shudder and shake you describe was caused by front brake rotors out of specifications.
I think they are fine, just need an alignment/ rotation.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You have 38,000 miles on your car and you have already replaced your rotors 10k ago? You sound a bit hard on brakes. Are you in hilly country? Do you track your car?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Uh I hit them hard , kind of combo. Car was in 5th gear, or 4th, cant remember. high rpms I think, maybe midde.

I changed the brake pads and new rotors, less than 5k miles ago I think, maybe 10, it doesnt do it at lower speeds.

yeah could be car has been sitting for a few days

well I replaced them to a more high performance type of rotor, and break pad probably less than 10k miles ago, was starting to kind of get to the point to turn them, didnt want to, guy I know works at NTB general manager hooked me up everything for $250

Yeah I am going to do that here shortly.

I think they are fine, just need an alignment/ rotation.
You sure you got higher performance rotors and pads for $250? Sounds kind of low to me. You may have received some cheap Chinese rotors and possibly warped them already. As mentioned lots of hard braking could be the source of problem. Lots of hills could be contributing factor if this is in your area. But I would start with the rotation and alignment first. Possibly checking your motor mounts too, if possible. And then your rotors. Not saying ntb is a bad place, but it could be one of those shoddy businesses that don't give you what they say they will and/or you got what you paid for.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is usually a pad deposit problem, not warped rotors. Warped rotors are actually uncommon. The problem is caused from the pads burning onto the rotors when you do a hard stop, getting the rotors really hot, and coming to a complete stop. Sometimes you can do a couple of hard stops with out coming to a complete stop and then driving without stepping on the brakes for a couple miles. It removes the pad material and lets them cool down properly. If that doesn't work, then machining them is the only option.

Does the brake pedal also pulsate? Or do you feel like the steering wheel was just shaking? You can go out and duplicate it, it's not going to hurt anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts