9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a hitch install on my civic so I can put a T2 Thule bike rack on. The bike rack itself is about 56lbs plus two bikes. Is this a good idea?? I have seen civic with the same bike rack on before but never on the 9th generation civic. Would this effect/damage the car in any way?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I like the idea strictly from the sense of easy compared to hoisting bikes on the roof, and less likely to damage the trunk or bumper with the trunk rack solutions.
I checked out the THULE website/fitment guide. It doesn't provide hitch options on the fitment guide, only trunk or roof (tried 8th and 9th gen sedan)
You might also want to consider the YAKIMA Stickup. A lot less money for what looks to be comparable product...

One issue may be with the hitch Systems, is bumper clearance. Depending on where the hitch recieving end rests in respect to the bumper, it might not be adaptable. Othat than that, I don't see why you couldn't do it, looks like a good solution. I would Call THULE/YAKIMA to discuss product compatibility with Civic, your dealer to see about hitch options, and then specifications such as hitch size, weight capacity, etc. If all goes smooth you should be set to go.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Trailer Hitches for '12 Si models

Spent some time googling it up. Found a few hitches for the 2012 DX/LX/EX models 2 and 4 doors, but most specify 'except Si'. I called my local shop that installs hitches and they say they have found one that will work. Picking it up on Monday. Hope it looks okay.

Should have pics of hitch installed on the '12 Si 4dr by next week for you folks.

Need it to get my toys around.. Used to use my 8th Gen all the time for that stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool to see that you pull 2 motorcycles with it, a lot of guys would "need" a full-size truck for that :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cool to see that you pull 2 motorcycles with it, a lot of guys would "need" a full-size truck for that :D

Your right! It really was not terrible to pull though. Just be smart about setting up trailer to ensure the tongue weight was as low as possible. I would put a lot of weight: generator, toolboxes, gas cans all at the rear of the trailer to pull the weight down as much as possible. Thinking about how to tow with a small car is smart too: keep your car in whatever gear goes as close as possible to 1.000 gear ratio (4th on an R18A1), and to not speed (90-95km/h tops, and no crazy starts burning the clutch). Slow down early always.. I towed with that car a ton. No damage to brakes or suspension.

Mind you, I'm hoping the K24Z7 will give a little more snot for towing to the racetrack.. I've borrowed a Golf TDI (2011 model) and it towed so much better then my old EX-L with the gobs of torque it had - the K24 is more in line with that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hitches are fine on Civics. I used to pull 2 x Motorcycles with an '09 Coupe all the time on an open trailer. I just put a hitch on my new FB6. You just have to be smart and think about your route, starting & stopping, and hills on said route. Remember to never use over-drive gears.. so knowledge of your gear ratios is key and watch your speed. With a full load, I would not take my Civic over 90-95km/h. This gave me safety margin for stopping and wouldn't overload the drivetrain. I would say I was frequently towing 1100-1200lbs with my '09.

You would have ZERO issues with just a bicycle rack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put a Draw-Tite on my LX for my bike carrier. The hardest part was getting the muffler-hanger off 8^). Seriously, very simple install, good instructions, but you lose one of the shroud screw holes, so you need to make sure it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Hardly noticeable in most light thanks to black on bumper. Draw-tite Sportframe hitch. The part number is the same for the 2011 Civic Si Sedan. Fit without a problem. Part # 24763 I think.
Got rid of the Draw-tite/Curt hitch cover and ordered honda part # 08L92-S9A-10016

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks good!! I would beef the shocks and springs up down the road. I tow my racer with a Dodge Cummins. Heavy enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Did you have to remove the rear under cover? Or were you able to trim it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Panel remains on the car, with 2 small slices cut into it. Nothing catastrophic or shade-tree looking. Its actually a really clean install.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You've been duped/brainwashed by law suit scared North American companies!! Any car can tow as long as its done in an educated fashion and within the limits of the chassis and hitch.

If my Si is not recommended for towing, then I really should not have used my old EX-L coupe to tow either huh? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
dahhh you really put a hitche on your Si?? shit..MAMAAAAAAA!!!! you need a Tacoma, not the Si!!!!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Mines a lease. I'll just hand it back after 24 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hitch Receiver for 12 Si Sedan?

It's time to start hauling bikes. Any word on hitch compatibility for a 2012 Si Sedan?
Thanks! Jack

1 - 20 of 124 Posts