9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hola! Your intro reads like you're thinking out loud; kind of funny. There is no better place to solicit common affection on a civic other than a 9th gen forum. And yeap, Civic > focus, etc.

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
lol and welocme! Honda pretty much is the best!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Doing the emblems is easy but doing the whole car is a task beyond doing it at home if you want it to look decent. If the weather is nice grab a can of dip from your local Home Depot for around 6 bucks and give it a shot.

Use painters tape and newspaper to mask off the area about an inch from your emblem on the back of your car. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Spray at least three light coats allowing 20 mins or so between coats. Use a wood toothpick to trace the emblem then remove the excess for success! When doing the H don't mask the inside spaces, use the toothpick to pick the center of the area and then peel it out. Much easier and nicer job that way.

If you screw it up, just peel it off and take a break. Try it again later.

Shake the can well before each coat. Turn can upside down and clear out the spray after each application to keep nozzle from getting all farkled up.
Omg. Very Helpful. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally! People who understand that Civics are freaking amazing and everyone who drives a Ford should sit down and recognize!

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
Finally! People who understand that Civics are freaking amazing and everyone who drives a Ford should sit down and recognize!
Haha welcome home.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You are welcome, it will turn out pretty good if you follow those basic tips. Post a picture if you are happy with the results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Need Help! ASAP.

Hey 9th genners, long time...no talk!
Anyway, I got bored the other day and decided to go to the Honda dealership to compare my Civic to a new Civic. Well, that was a bad idea, because they tried to get me to get a new civic for the same payments I'm paying now. I was all ":O NO WAAAAAY! LET'S DO IT!!!!" but then, everyone around me was all "ohhhh get an Accord!" so of course I had to sit in an Accord and go crazy over everything in the vehicle. Now I'm stuck. Should i get a 2013 and keep my payments at around what they are now? (I think of the Civic as a mini Accord now) or should I go for an Accord and let my payments increase a little? I like both cars, and if I can't choose anything, I'll just keep my 2012 LX with no bluetooth, no backup camera, no pandora, and no cool interior upgrade :(
I go back to the dealership on Tuesday after I get my train tracks removed! :( please help!
thanks in advance, Kaytizzle!
P.S. Sorry if this isn't in the right... category. :(

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
How much will get you get for your 2012, and will you be upside down? The new Civic would be nice with all the little nick nacks, I personally love having bluetooth, and the Accord of course is super sexy..... I personally wouldn't go for an accord mainly because of the weight, but you can't deny how appealing its design is when comparted to earlier models. If you can handle the payments and love the Accord or the 2013 Civic that much, why not? I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will trade into a 2013 there is nothing wrong with that IMO.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Same payments ... yeah but what's the total cost gonna be? If you've already paid, say, $3,000 for your current Civic so far and have $300 monthly payments, let's say, and you can get a 2013 Civic with $300 payments but with you have paid $0 for so far ... aren't you then throwing away $3,000? To me that's too much cash to eat. But it depends on yer specific situation.

Not knowing the details I'd assume the financially wisest thing to do would be to keep the Civic you've got.

Cars are pretty major purchases ... typically the only more expensive thing a person will ever purchase is a house.

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
^ Agreed. How much is your current Civic payment? How much have you already paid on it? If you trade it in for the Accord, how much will the dealership give you for it? How much will your new Accord payment be? For how many months/years? How much is insurance for your Civic? How much would it be for a new Civic? For a new Accord? Just some things to think about, and information that would help us help you in your decision.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What interest rate do you pay now, and what would the interest on the new loan be ?

Shopping for and buying cars based on monthly payment is a bad idea, but dealers love to present and sell you based on the monthly payment. You need to take into account all the thing DWils has said and not just look at monthly payment as there is a lot more to owning a car than the monthly payment.

A car is a major purchase and you need to sit down, crunch numbers and do your homework:

How much do you owe on the current car.
What are they giving you for trade value.
Current interest rate and rate on new loan.
Insurance rates on new civic or accord compared to current rates.
Fuel cost per month civic vs accord.
Fees with new loan (tax, title, document, destination), are they included in the price.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
^^^^^Ya, you're missing some info. They are saying that you will have the same
payments/month (which is true) but you WILL lose money on your trade in.

I don't know your numbers so I'll make up some numbers and try and see if I can make this a little clearer. (Other members please chime in here if I'm off base) The way I see it is like this.....

1) How much did you pay total when you bought your 2012?
Let's say Ex. $20 000
2) How much are they offering you for your 2012? Ex. $15 000
***Subtract these 2 numbers to find the "difference" = $5000 which you lose.

3) How much have you already paid on your 2012? Ex. $2000. You also lose this money. So, yes, your payments are the same, but there is a loss of $7000 in the numbers I have used.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The way I sees it (intentionally improper spelling there for dramatic flair, btw), a car is MAINLY about:
1) the unibody.
2) the transmission/engine
3) getting from point A to point B safely, quickly and efficiently.

This stuff costs a lot of money. Features like Bluetooth and rear-view video cameras and Pandora are but icing on the cake. Not even icing on the cake, but more like 1/10th of the amount of icing you put on a cake.

How much do you suppose Honda pays for the parts for Bluetooth, Pandora and rear-view camera? I'd guess it's perhaps $100 worth of technology.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Check this out, for example:

HTC Desire Z Camera

It's a the camera part from some cell phone. I bet the rear-view camera on the 2013 Civic uses a very similar, cheap, low-resolution camera just like this one. That part costs a mere $6.67 in quantity.

Here's a Bluetooth transceiver for $8.89:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/221160753470?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Pandora ... that's software. It's probably a fairly trivial task for Honda to modify the i-MID software to display live video from that cell phone camera, and to handle bluetooth and Pandora.

And I'd bet Honda isn't paying $6.67 for that camera and $8.89 for the Bluetooth; probably far less, since they'll be buying those parts by the hundreds of thousands.

So ... pay thousands more for a 2013 Civic/Accord for $15.56 worth of electronics?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Technically, I haven't "paid" anything on the car since it's technically Honda's and I'm just leasing it. I do understand the whole "upside down" and "throwing away money", but I don't know, I still haven't decided on anything, I was just simply looking around.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
This deal only makes sense if you currently leasing. What is the cost to break the ccurrent lease? Are there return costs? Is the new car a lease also? For how long? I.e. Are you rolling over 2 yr. lease for a 3 yr. one?

21 - 40 of 77 Posts