9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Falling in the shadow of Detroit, the Montreal Auto Show isn’t one for world premieres, except this year where Honda has unveiled its new GEAR Concept, showcasing what may be the next generation of sub-compacts from the Japanese automaker.

With only two doors and looking like a modernized version of the 4th generation Civic hatch, the GEAR Concept looks to be a bit smaller than the Honda Fit, the brand’s current sub-compact offering. What isn’t clear is if this is if the GEAR is pointing towards a new car below the Fit, or the styling of the next-generation Fit.

Honda is promising this simple and utilitarian design to be customizable and connected, and believes this philosophy would be ideal for targeting Generation-Y.
Read more about the Honda GEAR Concept at AutoGuide.com

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
hmm...looks like a EP3 with some euro style.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Looks terribly ugly haha thank god it's a concept!

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
I think concept cars have really dark tinted windows so you can't see that the car doesn't have any innards in it yet. Just the outtards so you can kind of see the general gist of what it is going to look like. I would be down for a two-door Fit to replace my four-door 2007 Fit if that is what this vehicle morphs into.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
Honda GEAR

What do you guys think of it??

According to Honda, the GEAR Concept unveiled today at the Montreal Auto Show in Canada is supposed to be a back-to-basics design, inspired by the popular Civic hatchbacks of the 1970s.
But Honda director of design, Dave Marek, also called the GEAR Concept a study, looking at what the next subcompact vehicle could look like, and what appeals to buyers. Marek explained that even though the Urban SUV Concept debuted in Detroit just a few days ago, the GEAR aims to show the local market what Honda can design with small cars.
The GEAR Concept was also specifically debuted at a Canadian auto show instead of Detroit, likely due to the Canadian buyers being more welcome of small cars.
“This Concept could sit in the studio for five years, or we can look at it and say ‘Oh people really liked these proportions or these design cues’ and put them in our next vehicles,” he said, making sure to point out that the GEAR Concept isn’t based on any other Honda platform, and isn’t hinting specifically at any new models. With its two doors, the GEAR looks to be smaller than the Fit, and could be a preview of a micro-subcompact vehicle to take on the Fiat 500 and Scion iQ.
Designed at Honda’s California studio, the GEAR Concept looks retro, although the interior is supposed to be high tech and customizable. “The colors of the interior change based on drive mode.” He said, giving an example of the lighting turning red in Sport mode. There is also a customizable center screen that drivers can choose how information is displayed. “You could have a retro looking speedometer if you wanted,” Marek said.

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
283 Posts
google it out for more pics... it think its really cool looking ...honda might be onto something :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like the retro touches, but this thing is UGLY (especially the back). Props to Honda though for taking a risk and thinking outside the box

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Love it.
If they tune the chassis properly and give it enough pep...
If they make it as cheap as possible with no character...
Hate it.

·
Got Jiggy with Blue and liked it!!!
430 Posts
It reminds me of my first girlfriend. God made her as ugly as he could. Then he hit her in the face with a coal shovel. Thereafter however, she did have a cute little pug nose.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
What do you guys think of it??

According to Honda, the GEAR Concept unveiled today at the Montreal Auto Show in Canada is supposed to be a back-to-basics design, inspired by the popular Civic hatchbacks of the 1970s.
But Honda director of design, Dave Marek, also called the GEAR Concept a study, looking at what the next subcompact vehicle could look like, and what appeals to buyers. Marek explained that even though the Urban SUV Concept debuted in Detroit just a few days ago, the GEAR aims to show the local market what Honda can design with small cars.
The GEAR Concept was also specifically debuted at a Canadian auto show instead of Detroit, likely due to the Canadian buyers being more welcome of small cars.
“This Concept could sit in the studio for five years, or we can look at it and say ‘Oh people really liked these proportions or these design cues’ and put them in our next vehicles,” he said, making sure to point out that the GEAR Concept isn’t based on any other Honda platform, and isn’t hinting specifically at any new models. With its two doors, the GEAR looks to be smaller than the Fit, and could be a preview of a micro-subcompact vehicle to take on the Fiat 500 and Scion iQ.
Designed at Honda’s California studio, the GEAR Concept looks retro, although the interior is supposed to be high tech and customizable. “The colors of the interior change based on drive mode.” He said, giving an example of the lighting turning red in Sport mode. There is also a customizable center screen that drivers can choose how information is displayed. “You could have a retro looking speedometer if you wanted,” Marek said.
I would buy it just because of the low offset wheels and 4 piston racing brakes, but i know the car won't come that way :crybaby:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Love it. Yes, perhaps work more on the design of the rear ... but still, pretty good. I'd consider one of these over a 9th Si if I were in the market (which I'm not.)

The front of the car is fantastic. I love the circle headlights.

The wheels are perfect.

Smaller than a Fit? And TWO doors! (sporty!) Great!

I bet the fuel economy would flirt with 50mpg on that sucka. Put a peppy 3- or 4-banger in it with a six-speed manual. BAM! Ka-PoW!

There was a rumor of Honda using the same "platform" for some future Accord *and* Civic (this strikes me as a mistake ... the Accord is already too large ... but who am I to say). Perhaps this car is the reason why Honda would consider doing such a thing.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like it! In my opinion it looks better than a fit. Hope they put out an si model with a K, though =knowing Honda they will just make it a Hybrid :(

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looks too much like the ep3, which I absolutely hate. Not to mention the front grill is disgusting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
The front of the car is fantastic. I love the circle headlights.

The wheels are perfect.

Smaller than a Fit? And TWO doors! (sporty!) Great!

I bet the fuel economy would flirt with 50mpg on that sucka. Put a peppy 3- or 4-banger in it with a six-speed manual. BAM! Ka-PoW!
Design it to look and feel like an original Mini and I'd be there is a second (or less).

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I like it! In my opinion it looks better than a fit. Hope they put out an si model with a K, though =knowing Honda they will just make it a Hybrid :(
Or the fit engine,the fit may not be astonishingly fast by any means but it can pull its weight as far as putting the fit engine, in what this appears to be kinda like a vw hatch I'm sure it'll be a quick little toy.heck my og hatch had an whomping dpfi with I think like 40 hp to the wheels and I'm sure weighs more than that GEAR so I'd be interested in seeing its final production rendering.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts