9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Honda can still get it right!

9K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  bkrell 
#1 ·
Just went out to pick up a quick dinner nearby, would say less than 10 minutes each way.

Some VTEC, quick shifts, etc, and damm, I'm all smiles. Now that my Si has some miles on it (past 2.5k now), the engine is really starting to feel a lot more lively... clutch and transmission is pretty magical, though I'm starting to feel that the throws are a tad long. Doesn't require hitting redline to get the smiles out either, plenty of punch down lower (torque baby!), I'm thinking the K24 is a good choice (but if only they'd let this baby out of the cage, and tune it for even output more stock!).

The stock all seasons SUCK, plain and simple. Chirp them shifting into 2nd so easily (this with VSA still engaged). Can't wait till I get real rubber on next summer.

This Si is a true jekyll & hyde - it behaves like any other car with semi decent MPG, but turns into something else once you up the tempo. :woowoo:

#4 ·
yea my wheels always skid when bumped the rev limiter..cant wait to get some real wheels on soon

#5 ·
+999999999999999999 on the all season tires suck on the K24Z7. Great torque on the motor but the all season tires don't grip well at all. LoL... but I guess I'll have to stick with it until the tires wear out or I get new rims...

#6 ·
I think the low end torque is great! you can really feel it in the k24..my car is still new so i havent really hit it hard yet..i do agree on the tires though sticky tires are a must!

#7 ·
I don't know how much of an advantage the flashpro will give - Hondata already made a statement to the effect that the new 12th Civic uses the Hondata vtec engagement method (I guess Honda realized it was better too!!) which uses a more seamless and less noticeable engagement method then the 8th Si. Will have to wait on our laurels and see huh?

#8 ·
My civic rules. It's perfect. It handles well in snow no skidding great ride. Gutsy when it needs to be, super comfy. I love the way it drives. Navi works great. I been in all the other rides of the same class. They are all improved but more like a me too version of the civic with all the things I didn't like about it. The 2006 version was a game changer in the industry. Car body, style etc. why completely screw something years ahead of the competition for the sake of being different. The 2012 is a slight update on an all around amazing design that no one has caught up with. My 2012 ex-navi is a way better ride then my 2006 civic. What I love about it is, it's all the tings I liked about the 2006 with all the things I hated fixed... and way more.
Show me a car in the same class that comes close. I drove them all. Car and Driver should be ashamed. I do see that they are lately supporting domestic companies as the economy is in the toilet. But better is better. Look at the customer reviews not the corporate ones.

#10 ·
Bashing Honda and Toyota is the media's thing right now, while GM and Chrysler are made to look like angels. I agree, my Civic for the money is as good as it gets.

#11 ·
Couldn't agree more! while all of the Cruise, Elantra, and Focus drivers are buying new cars before they're paid off cause they fall apart, we'll still be driving our Civics (and maybe putting the first set of brake pads on them!). I am not willing to gamble $20,000 to see if the other companies have started making an ok product when they have failed so bad in the past!

#16 ·
agreed. that's the reason i went with honda even though consumer reports ranked other cars higher.

Yeah the tail lights are Camry like! I noticed that the other day. Maybe a different spoiler would set it off but I'm not sure you could do that with the way it's built in to the trunk.
yeah! i didn't realize that until my friend told me. haha

#14 ·
A little bit over idealistic - the Civic has a lot to improve upon, especially when you compare it to the last model year's interior quality and "little" touches", but it's still a great car.

If the plastic were a higher quality, I would have no qualms whatsoever.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have had my 2012 Civic Si FG4 for a month now. It really hit me driving home tonight.

Honda can still get some aspect of its line up right!

Honestly i have been vary disappointing with Honda's recent offerings, CR-Z, Crosstour (RIP S2000) etc

Prior to this i owned a 2011 V6 Mustang. Man that car was a blast, especially in the winter. I honestly bought it because it was RWD and i love driving it in the winter. The 305 hp was great and torque was always available and despite what you may of heard, that car really handled well.

Without getting deep into the details, not that i couldn't afford it etc,

I chose to give it up for a 2012 Civic Si.

At first i was really disappointing with the Si. FWD and the cheaper interior really showed up on the drive home. My second drive into work I hit Vtec and i realized i was driving a completely different car. Once i realized this, the more i drove the Si the more i liked it. Now im a month in and I know this car.

Ive had Honda's in the the past and some of my previous dream cars have been H22 Preludes, S2000s and of course, the NSX.

Tonight it hit me, the fun, small, easy to drive, handling and quickness of the K24 all came together and i realized, Honda got it right with this car.

I know this is not a even close to Japanese car and we have no JDM support but i really enjoy it in stock form. I refer to is as my TSi as the power train is really a TSX.

I was the most critical of this car of anybody when it was released bar none, but i can overlook its flaws for what it is as a package. The quality may not be there thro and thro but the way it drives is what wins me over.

Just so we are clear, i am not biased, the Si was not really my first choice.

I still miss a rwd car and the interior still bugs me now and then, but overall, this car is a very strong package.

This car reminds me of the way Honda used to be.

And i say that as the most critical car person you may ever meet.

Nice to meet you all,

#19 ·
2012 SI is so much fun to drive!

Been driving the 2012 SI coupe for a few days now and I have to say this car is awesome! Maybe my perception is skewed because my previous car was a 1995 Toyota Camry hahah. I'm still getting used to the seats and adjusting everything, but so far so good.

Has anyone noticed when you shift from 1-3 the engine kinda hangs when you put the clutch in? I'm told this is normal, but wanted to know why the engine was designed to function this way? Any ideas?

#23 ·
One more thing I noticed or maybe it's just me. When I drive the SI my right leg gets this like tingling feeling in my toes. I'm guessing the seat is just really stiff or something, I dunno. I can't find the proper seating position to alleviate it though and it's driving me crazy!!! I also haven't had a manual car as my daily driver in like 5 years. So maybe I'm just not used to it yet, I'm not sure...

#24 ·
Why in the heck did i buy my Si

Long story short, I suppose. Fun, Honda, Reliability! get'in to old to care about Pic up trks, tho they also r a good breed, just wanted to park my ride in the garage w/ the wife's '07 Accord and just learn about this cool little 6 sp w/ the Accord "kind of" engine in it,

AgAIN GREAT SITE, GOOD forum , lots to learn.

thanks to all on this forum, OH! the one last thing is , Too stressed out at the "9-5" and wanted something fun to drive.

#27 ·
I know exactly why I bought mine. It fits my family of four comfortably. It gets great mileage, even more than I was expecting. It's a top safety pick. The new 2.4 liter engine pulls like a mule on the mountain roads I commute on. The six speed is silky smooth and the pedals are well layed out. It handles well enough in stock form, but gives me room for improvement with aftermarket parts. It looks good and I know I will be happy with it for the next five years until I pass it to my daughter when she goes to college. I had a 2003 Civic Si and wouldn't have sold it except it did not fit a baby seat when my son was born. This one does. I dont plan on having more kids but it's nice to know I won't have to get rid of it if that happens.

#28 ·
I wanted an Si when I got my LX 2 years ago, but I had just started a new job and was literally out of money, so I had to keep my payments low. I got a letter a few weeks ago from a dealer wanting to buy 2010 or newer civics...hmm. The new job I started at 2 years ago has turned out awesome, I've had 3 rather large pay raises since I started, so I looked into it getting an Si. Found 1 black Si in Western Washington and contacted the dealer on a Thursday, that Sunday I drove home in my new Si.

I'm not a track or racing guy, winding mountain roads is my thing, and this car is so much fun to drive on that stuff. Very happy with my purchase, seemed crazy to trade in a perfectly good 2 year old car to some people, but once I took the test drive in my Si I knew it was the car for me.

#29 ·
For me its a lot of what others have already mentioned above. Me and my wife are expecting are first child and my Ford focus svt wasn't going to cut it anymore. I really enjoyed the hell outta that car, and on that note the civic si was the obvious next step... It's sporty, spacious, fun as hell to drive and will fit my new family great. This is my first new car and couldn't be any happier with it ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.