9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honda Civic LED Turn Signal LEDs

From the factory, tail light bulbs are powered by standard incandescent lights that light up white in color, and cast light through your red or amber tail light lens. This results in a washed-out color.

Newer luxury vehicles are using LEDs for turn signals, because LEDs offer a crisp, instant on/off function, increased brightness, and true, vibrant color. By replacing the bulbs in your Civic, you can achieve this modern look!

Brightness

Diode Dynamics offers several brightness options so you can choose what fits you best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb compared to factory:

HP11: (310 lumens) Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs.

XP80: (510 lumens) Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright!

Bulb Design:

HP11: Four side-firing 1.5W-rated Osram LED chips, and one 5W-rated LED chip on top, which is projected by a lens for maximum effective brightness. The bulb is housed in a machined aluminum casing, which provides superior heat diffusion for long life.

XP80: Each of the four sides of this bulb contains three 5W-rated chips, and the top is fitted with four more under a projector lens. This is the brightest self-contained automotive LED bulb on the market, and is housed in an aluminum casing with a textured finish for maximum heatsinking properties.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS.

Front Turn Signal LEDs for Honda Civic Coupe (pair)

Front Turn Signal LEDs for Honda Civic Sedan (pair)

All of our products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post, PM, email[email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks for looking!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
in your video...you don't show or discuss the resistors...are those still necessary?

and due to budget restraints/restrictions, can one replace the rear turn signals or front ones, and not all four without any issues? since the video only replaced the rear signals with LED's, and i'm guessing the front ones were still standard OEM bulbs, is why hyper-flashing DIDN'T occur?

·
Supporting Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in your video...you don't show or discuss the resistors...are those still necessary?

and due to budget restraints/restrictions, can one replace the rear turn signals or front ones, and not all four without any issues? since the video only replaced the rear signals with LED's, and i'm guessing the front ones were still standard OEM bulbs, is why hyper-flashing DIDN'T occur?
You will need to add resistors or an LED compatible flasher unit when replacing incandescent turn signal locations with LEDs. We have an LED replacement flasher available for $6 retail, which will take care of the hyperflashing on all 4 corners.

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Which bulbs were used in the video (and in which location)? HP11 or XP80?
I only see that XP50 bulbs were used for the backup lights.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Diode Dynamics;3249754 LED compatible flasher unit when replacing incandescent turn signal locations with LEDs. We have an LED replacement flasher available for $6 retail. Thanks! Nick C.[/QUOTE said:
06 & later Civics do not use a flasher unit. It is controlled by MICU.

·
Banned
601 Posts
06 & later Civics do not use a flasher unit. It is controlled by MICU.
My research indicates the same. No choice but to use resistors. :frown:

·
Supporting Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no LED turn signals with enough resistance built in to prevent hyper-flash.

Heat is a by-product of electrical resistance, it's also the biggest enemy of LEDs. If you had enough resistance on the base of the bulb to prevent hyperflash, it would cause premature failure, or have a very very short lifespan.

Nick C.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So my front turn signals would need no additional electrical components with these sets? I'd just like to get an amber light in the housing since I removed the amber reflector.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You will need to add resistors or an LED compatible flasher unit when replacing incandescent turn signal locations with LEDs. We have an LED replacement flasher available for $6 retail, which will take care of the hyperflashing on all 4 corners.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Not wanting to sound too stupid, but where would the LED compatible flasher(s) be installed - in each light assembly? If so, then that would mean that, in order to changeover JUST THE FOUR REAR OEM bulbs to LEDs, I'd need to spend an additional $24 ($6 per) for just the rear lighting assemblies? Sorry if I sound confused.

Reactions: Diode Dynamics

·
Supporting Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The flasher is in the driver's side footwell area. You'll only need one flasher to take care of the entire vehicle's hyperflash (front & rear).

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok...so... I watched the video. '14 Civic sedan... WILL DD's LED turn signal replacements cause "hyperflashing"? You guys should know. And if so... about installing the "resistor kit"... the video says my vehicle may have 1 or 3 wires on each turn signal and that I'd have to "determine" which wire was which (ground/power/turn signal). Just how am I supposed to do that? Your video on the truck installation says the "green" wire is the ground - which goes counter to standard electrical wiring codes - "green" wires NEVER carry current in normal situations.

·
Supporting Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Installing LEDs in the turn signal location will cause hyperflash, but it can be solved with a replacement flasher or resistors on each turn signal location replaced with LED.

Using a multi-meter will help you determine the running light power, turn signal power, and ground.

If you need more installation or troubleshooting assistance, please give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about resistors?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts