9th Gen Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda NSX Development is Back on Track

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  AutoGuide.com 
#1 ·

Rumors have been tossed around for years that Honda is debating whether or not to bring the NSX back to the research and development stage, possibly releasing a true successor to one of Japan's most exotic cars. When the HSV-010 GT race car was announced, belief was that Honda would be resurrecting the NSX's development following its shelving back in 2008.

Now it looks like Honda fans will get their wish granted.

Company president Takashi Ito recently confirmed that NSX development is underway and Honda may be re-entering the realm of true exotic sports car to battle it out against the likes of Nissan's GT-R and the Lexus LFA. With so many years having gone by without a new NSX, some feel that Honda's top-of-the-line model has lost its shine with all of Japan's finest now taking the spotlight. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking right now that Honda will strike bigger and better with a new NSX, but we're optimists at heart.

More: Honda NSX Development is Back on Track on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#4 ·
NSX is back under development

so happy to hear a NSX replacement is in the works at Honda. I'm hoping it will at least have more power than the NSX since it was underpowered ( i think it was) All im asking for, from Honda is a naturally aspirated V8.

Honda Motor Co. President Takanobu Ito says his company is developing a sports car that will be the spiritual successor to the discontinued Acura NSX.

But in tune with the times, the new car won't feature the brute V-10 engine that had been envisioned for the next NSX. That vision was scrapped in 2008 during the global financial crisis.

Speaking to reporters at the Shanghai auto show, Ito said the car would be exhilarating to drive but also environmentally friendly: "That's the kind of sports car we want to make."

Ito did not give details of the sports car or a timeline for its launch. The vehicle is expected to use an electric drivetrain to give the gasoline engine a boost, a Honda spokesman said. The car will be positioned as a high-performance counterpart to the two-seat Honda CR-Z sporty hybrid.

"We are working very hard on it," Ito said.

Ito's predecessor Takeo Fukui killed plans for an NSX replacement as one of several cost-saving cutbacks.

That version of the NSX was expected to have a front-mounted V-10 engine turning out at least 500 hp. It would have followed the first-generation NSX, which had a mid-mounted V-6. That NSX went out of production in late 2005 after 14 years.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110425/OEM03/304259945/1117

#5 ·
#7 ·
Actually the 2.0 will be paired with an automatic, the 2.4 will be six speed manual and the Hybrid 1.5 will be just like the insight. So a heavier civic based creature with existing powertrains perhaps tweaked for tune just a tad.

#9 ·
I would think so, all indications are an Si powertrain in the 2.4 trim pkg.

#11 ·
Jerry Seinfeld Fights Jay Leno for First NSX in Honda Superbowl Ad [Video]

As though the reveal of the NSX Concept at the Detroit Auto Show didn't garner enough buzz, Acura is looking to reach an even wider audience by showcasing the new hybrid sports car during this weekend's Super Bowl. And to help out they've employed the help of two of the word's best known comedians, both of whom just also happen to be well-known car buffs: Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno.

The spot pits the two against each other to be the very first to own the new NSX, which isn't set to go on sale for another three years.

How does it pan out? Watch the video below and see for yourself:

More: Jerry Seinfeld Fights Jay Leno for First NSX in Honda Superbowl Ad [Video] on Autoguide.com

#14 ·
car to get in the next 5 years... NSX

so, i've always been in LOVE with the Honda/ Acura NSX... and I've decided to go ahead and begin the saving process to purchase my own NSX. im a huge fan of the 2nd gen NSXs. But i'm also interested in the new ones that are supposed to be coming out. just want some opinions from you guys.... the gen you like, your thoughts on the new nsx to be coming out, your thoughts on the pricing, and etc.

#15 ·
i really like the last NSX they made which was around 2005 or so they were really nice especially without the pop up lights, the new NSX looks pretty sweet from the photos i have seen. but if you are looking at getting one be prepared to be saving for the next 50 years lol the car is apparently gonna be priced around $150,000 to almost $200,000 unless you have one hell of a good paying job you are gonna be saving for a long time

#16 ·
wow, screw that lol.. id rather get an LFA if its that high.. well i'll stick to the older moderls.. 99-05

#18 ·
well,, im hoping to make my Si last for a while.....when shes paid off planning on keeping her for my DD and then im wanting to get either a classic muscle restored muscle car.... or as bad as i hate to say it.....wouldnt mind having a supercharged roush mustang convertible..... or a saleen.... only two mustangs i like.... but who knows....thats several years away

#20 ·
Acura NSX II Concept Video, First Look

Easily the showstopper of day two of the Detroit Auto Show, Acura re-released its NSX concept, for the first time ever showing the hybrid supercar’s interior.

And it was worth waiting for. With a cockpit dripping with leather, carbon fiber and Alcantara, we haven’t seen a cabin this nice since the Lexus LFA.
See more photos of the Acura NSX II Concept at AutoGuide.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.