9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looks like it was for journalists.....
I haven't driven standard for like 10 years, would have loved to put the Si through the slalom!!:wtfo:

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
At least the featured newbies were writers, not sure how open the event was to the general public. Glad to see this sponsored by Honda since it had been a fear of mine that they would stop producing manual transmission models in the near future.

They are all driving HFP versions of the Si Coupe, lucky people. I wonder if Honda custom tuned the ecu's to get rid of the infamous rev-hang issue. Seems like it would be easier for a newby not to have to deal with the rev-hang.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree about newbies and dealing with rev hang. So jealous they all got HFP!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm a newbie and the rev hang is definitely noticeable. Would have loved to had an event like this near me before buying my Si.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yea i called up honda the other day to complain about the rev hang.. when i was learning to drive stick my brother in law who is great driving a stick kept asking me if i was reving the engine while shifting. then i let him drive it and he said shifting into second has a crazy amount of rev hang. i shift around 3k then i shift it usually goes up to like 3.2-3.3. it makes it a lot harder to shift into second smoothly

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Yeah take it a little higher in the rpm band before doing your shift, then intentionally pause for a second before engaging into the next gear. Watch the tach to see where it meshes the best through a little trial and error and then once you find the right destination rpm head there next time. It gets smoother after this gets to be second nature. Well at least that is how I cope with it. This is way different than the WOT technique I use for up near redline shifts.

Reactions: oldguy

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They might want to try offering stick shifts on more of their models. Over the last four years, I've watched them drop stick after stick off of next to all trim levels with any semblance of options to them.

Can't get an Accord 4 cylinder coupe with leather and a stick shift. Cant' get an Civic EX-L with a stick shift, can't get an next to anything with a navigation unit and a stick shift (sans Si).

I swear - 95% of the reason I'm in my current car is because it only comes in a stick shift. Between that and the tC (but no dealers around here stocked one with a stick shift). While it may not be a big part of the market - I would rather choose my own gear than have a poorly shifting automatic decide for me.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I cannot think of a single four cylinder car with an automatic tranny that I actually enjoyed driving.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
Driving a manual on a daily basis with the Si makes me wish my truck had a 5 speed in it too. The auto feels so sluggish and unresponsive now. Later this month I get to teach. My girlfriend how to handle a manual. My Si becomes the guniea pig for her. See how easy this manual is to learn and teach.

Reactions: lfreday39x

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
That's what I use my CJ5 for. Put it in low gear range and teach any newby that they can drive a stick without stalling it out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Honda should sponsor "Learn to Drive a Stick Day" at dealerships

Once or twice a year, take a Civic or Accord that's a few years old and which has a stick and offer a free "learn to drive a stick shift" lesson to anyone who wants to learn.

I think the Honda dealers should do this :)

It'll get people in the door looking at your products and it will teach more people the joys of driving a stick.

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
Once or twice a year, take a Civic or Accord that's a few years old and which has a stick and offer a free "learn to drive a stick shift" lesson to anyone who wants to learn.

It'll get people in the door looking at your products and it will teach more people the joys of driving a stick.
Anything to sell cars :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,503 Posts
Most people dont want to drive a stick and couldnt give a rats patoot about learning.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Most people dont want to drive a stick and couldnt give a rats patoot about learning.
Exactly!!!! It only took me 20 minutes to learn to drive stick when I was 16, and I was grabbing gears in NO time. Can't see Honda or anyone doing this EVER.
It is a good idea, plus it would get people in the doors, but no one cares anymore and manuals are almost a thing of the past

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
545 Posts

You can't really drive a stick when you're drinking your coffee, eating a donut, reading your texts, slapping at your children, talking to your "Girlz", etc.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,503 Posts
You can't really drive a stick when you're drinking your coffee, eating a donut, reading your texts, slapping at your children, talking to your "Girlz", etc.
Ive done it for the last 35 years (minus the texts).

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I've got one up on you. I've changed pants on the way to work while driving stick. Through a neighborhood...:haysmiley: lol

I like the idea. I think people that drive auto-mashits tend to pay less attention to things around them. Everything in an automatic becomes just that; automatic. When I drive stick shift on the other hand, I'm constantly engaged in what I'm doing; mph, blinkers, breaking early enough, etc...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts