9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some one to shed a little light for me here, i have a dyno tune set up but hes very backed logged and will be a few weeks away,

In the meantime can i use the stock equivalent pre loaded tune that comes with the hondata flash pro software for now, just to play with some settings like my vtec engagement point and launch control, with anything else chance with this and will it still drive and run as it does now with no flash, just how the ecu comes from the factory

I am Very new to tuning and this is my daily driver at the moment and i would really not like to nuke anything if possible

·
Registered
563 Posts
These cars, are intake change specific (mostly). What mods, what canned tune, and what's your local temp/elevation/etc?
I judge that hondata canned tunes, didn't go for Max power, but safety. I mean this as by, if 200 people reported they lost a engine due to a bad tune, they'd loose business.
But, if you threw injectors in your build, and you tune was wrong, you may loose your engine.
This is all guess work, just so your aware.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These cars, are intake change specific (mostly). What mods, what canned tune, and what's your local temp/elevation/etc?
I judge that hondata canned tunes, didn't go for Max power, but safety. I mean this as by, if 200 people reported they lost a engine due to a bad tune, they'd loose business.
But, if you threw injectors in your build, and you tune was wrong, you may loose your engine.
This is all guess work, just so your aware.
I am only talking about the stock equivalent tune that comes with flashpro. The one that supposed to make the car run just like stock. Would it be safe to use this or wait

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I am only talking about the stock equivalent tune that comes with flashpro. The one that supposed to make the car run just like stock. Would it be safe to use this or wait
The stock equivalent tune is safe for stock unmodified cars. I think @9thgensifamily is asking if you have any mods hence the need for a dyno tune?
Nothing wrong with learning the flashpro manager software but I would be careful not to make any big changes if you aren't familiar with tuning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which IMO is why you should not be dicking with it...
I won't be touching any setting that do any major changes like timing or fuel or ignition etc etc etc.

I just more or less would like to play with the VTEC engagement point and launch control so I can do some base line comparison between stock launches and turned set up.

Then I can see the differences between. Honda factory tune. Dyno tune. And dyno tune with my supporting mods

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I won't be touching any setting that do any major changes like timing or fuel or ignition etc etc etc.

I just more or less would like to play with the VTEC engagement point and launch control so I can do some base line comparison between stock launches and turned set up.

Then I can see the differences between. Honda factory tune. Dyno tune. And dyno tune with my supporting mods
Are you putting the car on the dyno each time to measure such changes or are you going by the old butt dyno?
You should at least be loggin afr and knock to make sure you aren't causing any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you putting the car on the dyno each time to measure such changes or are you going by the old butt dyno?
You should at least be loggin afr and knock to make sure you aren't causing any issues.

None of that should change if I'm using a stock tune. All that's being done is the VTEC will engage at a lower rpm. And I'm setting a launch rpm so it doesn't bang off redline.

That's all that will be done and I will drive around and see what kinda pulls I can do.

Then in the next few weeks when my appointment comes up the car will be dynoed and I will get to feel or see the differences between factory and dyno tune.

Then next year when all supported mods are installed I will re dyno the car to account for the modified parts.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
None of that should change if I'm using a stock tune. All that's being done is the VTEC will engage at a lower rpm. And I'm setting a launch rpm so it doesn't bang off redline.
Fair enough but you can never be too safe. While I agree these small settings shouldn't affect much.

That said, vtec point does affect fuel and timing. The car has a low cam and high cam map. So moving vtec lower will switch you to the high cam fuel/ignition sooner.

Also you cannot tune vtec without a dyno so making changes now is kind of irrelevant. The variable cam timing adds another layer to this as well do its not as straigjt forward as the old b and d series honda stuff.

There is a good wrote up in the flashpro manager help file on all of this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a wide band o2 sensor that you have used or recommend that I get to have a gauge on the dash to monitor the a/f ratio

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Is there a wide band o2 sensor that you have used or recommend that I get to have a gauge on the dash to monitor the a/f ratio
These cars have a factory wideband. You can use AF corrected when datalogging. Hondata has a mobile app you can connect to via bluetooth to display data on your phone/tablet.
Or if you want a dedicated gauge, AEM, plx, innovate are all good brands. You will need a downpipe with an extra o2 bung though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I not just get a wide band o2 sensor and replace the 2 o2 sensor and put this in its place and disable the secondary or o2 sensor in hondata

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Can I not just get a wide band o2 sensor and replace the 2 o2 sensor and put this in its place and disable the secondary or o2 sensor in hondata
That could work if you are catless. A wideband after a cat would not be accurate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay makes sense. First part on the list. Downpipe. And o2 sensor an gauge

What do you know about disabling the Rev hang out overrun as stated in hondata program

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What do you know about disabling the Rev hang out overrun as stated in hondata program
Believe it's just a check box in the calibration parameters.
Their should be a write up in the help file as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts