9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have picked up my hondata tuning module. I just wanted to see if anyone here can recommend a good tuner to get a tune done or if anyone has tried the preloaded tunes that come with the hondata software

·
Registered
124 Posts
Preloaded tunes suck dont bother.

Etunez or Handybuilt are the only Etuners that I know of that are any good(Im sure there are others,but I am unaware of them)

Expect to pay $250 for an Etune.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Derek @ IMW is well known and has a great reputation. He's been my tuner for both my N/A and supercharged applications.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Preloaded tunes suck dont bother.

Etunez or Handybuilt are the only Etuners that I know of that are any good(Im sure there are others,but I am unaware of them)

Expect to pay $250 for an Etune.
Dang, all that work we did on your tune and you weren't happy with it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dang, all that work we did on your tune and you weren't happy with it?
If this is Kyle,I am. However I have nothing to compare it to, and anything is better than stock.

A couple of different tuners looked at my tune and claim there is a more power to be had.(to paraphrase, "Its not bad, but there is a loooooooot being left on the table") Maybe they just want my money. Maybe they were telling the truth. I dont know.

The tuners I mentioned in my previous post are very well known in the 9th gen circles for their great tunes and I can confidently recommend them. Other than myself, I dont know of anyone else whos used your service, so I cannot say with certainty that you are the best option.

With the above said, I am extremely grateful for your service, and have nothing negative to say.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If this is Kyle,I am. However I have nothing to compare it to, and anything is better than stock.

A couple of different tuners looked at my tune and claim there is a more power to be had.(to paraphrase, "Its not bad, but there is a loooooooot being left on the table") Maybe they just want my money. Maybe they were telling the truth. I dont know.

The tuners I mentioned in my previous post are very well known in the 9th gen circles for their great tunes and I can confidently recommend them. Other than myself, I dont know of anyone else whos used your service, so I cannot say with certainty that you are the best option.

With the above said, I am extremely grateful for your service, and have nothing negative to say.
No problem man. Your post states preloaded tunes suck, so anything is not better than stock. Haha.

It's all good, I was just giving you a hard time. I can understand not mentioning a nobody on the forum for certain reasons. E-tunez, Handybuilt, and IMW are all great places and have earned their reputations so I totally understand.

If you end up getting tuned by one of the places who mention, "there is a loooooooot being left on the table", please keep me in the loop. I would be happy to come down there if it's a dyno tuner and see how it goes. If you get it e-tuned, I would be willing to chip in for dyno pulls when it's done to see where the abundance of power is being left on the table. It would be good for me to see.

Glad you were somewhat happy with it. Keep me in the loop if you get it tuned in the trim that it's in right now, I would love to see the comparisons. Even if you add some mods, hit me up before you get it tuned and we'll redo yours. Then we can compare the tunes on the dyno, again I'll chip in for the pulls so I can see the differences on the dyno..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yea, some tuners like to play it safe, which I'm totally for. I'm wondering what they consider as "alot on the table." Keep us posted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No problem man. Your post states preloaded tunes suck, so anything is not better than stock. Haha.

It's all good, I was just giving you a hard time. I can understand not mentioning a nobody on the forum for certain reasons. E-tunez, Handybuilt, and IMW are all great places and have earned their reputations so I totally understand.

If you end up getting tuned by one of the places who mention, "there is a loooooooot being left on the table", please keep me in the loop. I would be happy to come down there if it's a dyno tuner and see how it goes. If you get it e-tuned, I would be willing to chip in for dyno pulls when it's done to see where the abundance of power is being left on the table. It would be good for me to see.

Glad you were somewhat happy with it. Keep me in the loop if you get it tuned in the trim that it's in right now, I would love to see the comparisons. Even if you add some mods, hit me up before you get it tuned and we'll redo yours. Then we can compare the tunes on the dyno, again I'll chip in for the pulls so I can see the differences on the dyno..
I have no intention of changing the tune I have now, since Im mostly stock and am legitimately happy with it,so we wouldn't be able to get an apples to apples comparison

Based on the E-dyno sheets you provided, my power levels seem to be on par with other stock Si Ive seen in this forum. I dont know how much more can be had, but thats what I was told💁‍♂️

Once I get all my bolt-ons gathered Ill hit you up for a tune, then Ill hit up another tuner and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea, some tuners like to play it safe, which I'm totally for. I'm wondering what they consider as "alot on the table." Keep us posted.
Yeah I try to get as much out of them as I can safely. My must haves are no knock, proper WOT fueling, and fuel trims close to zero at idle and part throttle. The last tune I did for a guy to get him ready for the dyno, on an unfinished tune of mine the dyno tune made 7hp more with a lean 13.5-14.0 WOT fueling on the dyno tune and a lot more ignition, enough to where it had knock in 5th gear afterwards. Not to mention other issues like fuel trims that were way off in part throttle driving.

I am nowhere in the league of the tuners mentioned in this post by any means, but I would be very curious to see where the power on the table is without introducing knock. I'm always willing to learn.

I have no intention of changing the tune I have now, since Im mostly stock and am legitimately happy with it,so we wouldn't be able to get an apples to apples comparison

Based on the E-dyno sheets you provided, my power levels seem to be on par with other stock Si Ive seen in this forum. I dont know how much more can be had, but thats what I was told💁‍♂️

Once I get all my bolt-ons gathered Ill hit you up for a tune, then Ill hit up another tuner and we'll go from there.
Sounds fair to me. I guess I have a little too much pride in this stuff. We worked so hard on your car and made adjustments based on your feedback and the Virtual Dyno sheets to get it right. I know how clean your tune is IMO, so even if it's down a few HP I know that it's ready for you to have fun with and not have to worry about anything.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah I try to get as much out of them as I can safely. My must haves are no knock, proper WOT fueling, and fuel trims close to zero at idle and part throttle. The last tune I did for a guy to get him ready for the dyno, on an unfinished tune of mine the dyno tune made 7hp more with a lean 13.5-14.0 WOT fueling on the dyno tune and a lot more ignition, enough to where it had knock in 5th gear afterwards. Not to mention other issues like fuel trims that were way off in part throttle driving.

I am nowhere in the league of the tuners mentioned in this post by any means, but I would be very curious to see where the power on the table is without introducing knock. I'm always willing to learn.

Sounds fair to me. I guess I have a little too much pride in this stuff. We worked so hard on your car and made adjustments based on your feedback and the Virtual Dyno sheets to get it right. I know how clean your tune is IMO, so even if it's down a few HP I know that it's ready for you to have fun with and not have to worry about anything.
Yea, I'm all for on how you tune. The little HP/TQ gain from adding more timing and running the car leaner is NOT a good trade off with a engine running safer. Currently, my tuner wants me to upgrade to bigger injectors. I'm around 60% duty cycle on 1000cc injectors and switching to e85. Technically I can still use my injectors, but anything pushing above 90% can lead to problems. My tuner CAN do it, but suggests not to because of reliablity. I appreciate that even if it cost me now vs blowing the motor and having to rebuild it down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea, I'm all for on how you tune. The little HP/TQ gain from adding more timing and running the car leaner is NOT a good trade off with a engine running safer. Currently, my tuner wants me to upgrade to bigger injectors. I'm around 60% duty cycle on 1000cc injectors and switching to e85. Technically I can still use my injectors, but anything pushing above 90% can lead to problems. My tuner CAN do it, but suggests not to because of reliablity. I appreciate that even if it cost me now vs blowing the motor and having to rebuild it down the road.
Gotta love a tuner who has your best interest at heart, even though it may cost you a few bucks with buying new injectors. Yeah at 90% it is good to consider them maxed out, you don't want lose control over them or have any sticking issues. Especially on your setup in your signature, everything needs to be working as they should be to get the performance and reliability out of it. Running stuff on the ragged edge is just asking for trouble. Are you going for more power on E, or just taking advantage of the benefits of E?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,449 Posts
I agree better to be on the safe side than go for extra 8-10HP and risk screwing up your motor just saying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree better to be on the safe side than go for extra 8-10HP and risk screwing up your motor just saying.
Appreciate it, yeah. I try to treat customers cars as if they are mine. The thought of "what would I do if it's my car" is always in the front of my mind.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gotta love a tuner who has your best interest at heart, even though it may cost you a few bucks with buying new injectors. Yeah at 90% it is good to consider them maxed out, you don't want lose control over them or have any sticking issues. Especially on your setup in your signature, everything needs to be working as they should be to get the performance and reliability out of it. Running stuff on the ragged edge is just asking for trouble. Are you going for more power on E, or just taking advantage of the benefits of E?
A bit of both. But mostly for the additional power. I'm upping the boost also; I wasn't sure if 93 was going to be sufficient enough to handle 18psi from a 1900.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A bit of both. But mostly for the additional power. I'm upping the boost also; I wasn't sure if 93 was going to be sufficient enough to handle 18psi from a 1900.
That is going to be a killer setup then. Yeah switching to E is probably the right way to go at that point. The Merc kit helps keep the temps a lot cooler, but with E you'll have a lot more performance and safety honestly. Curious to see how much it makes on the new setup, I'll keep an eye on your sig. Haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am quite happy with my tune, theres still a odd chug to work out but it only happens when the AC is on and not every time, could just need a different way of driving as i think im getting use to it more and more every day

I have some ideas on mods i want in the future, im going to get full bolt ons but i have decided to do a head swap,
Any of you here done a k24z7 bottom end with a k20z3 head, i have seen some videos and with bolt ons and a head swap, some of these dude are making like 260-340 ALL motor

·
Registered
411 Posts
i am quite happy with my tune, theres still a odd chug to work out but it only happens when the AC is on and not every time, could just need a different way of driving as i think im getting use to it more and more every day

I have some ideas on mods i want in the future, im going to get full bolt ons but i have decided to do a head swap,
Any of you here done a k24z7 bottom end with a k20z3 head, i have seen some videos and with bolt ons and a head swap, some of these dude are making like 260-340 ALL motor
For some reason, this is a "hush hush" swap. There are shops that have done this swap with success. Prayoonto racing has done this swap that I know of.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Links?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just grabbed my k20z3 head today with cams for 400 from a guy in Toronto, im not to sure what else is needed, i might just buy a k24 bottom end so i can drive my car while i build this motor and just swap it in when im done

I will make a complete guide with pics if i can and add it to this site so others can follow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts