9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cousin drove my car a couple days ago and wears a wedding ring... I thought nothing of it until I got in my car the next day and noticed 2 small scratches on the steering wheel right where his left hand would have been (what a dick lol).

I am anal and this will bother the crap out of me until I can fix it. Any suggestions as far as what product to use? I've seen a couple inexpensive kits out there for about $15. Any help would be appreciated!

Professional Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit

Tire Vehicle door Automotive tire Wheel Rim

·
Photoshop Masta
3,141 Posts
Ugh! That would annoy me too. I will NEVER, and I mean, NEVER let someone else drive my car unless I was too drunk to drive....but even then, I wouldn't put my car and I in that situation :driving:

I've NEVER had to repair leather....not quite sure how well those leather repair kits work. Good luck though! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My gut feeling is that it can't be repaired, but I know that it can be replaced. Try estore.honda.com I think I saw them on there for about $80.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Slightly off topic...with the wheel being leather, should we be conditioning it and how often?
I wouldn't bother condition it. Natural oils in your skin will wear off into it giving it a somewhat natural condition. But anywho I know how ya feel because getting into my car a couple days ago a bent metal nub on my pants hit my steering wheel as well and did the same thing just a little deeper though =[ worst part is it on my 10:30 so I touch it all of the time and it is driving me bat shit crazy! :banghead:

Edit* I would however clean from time to time of course. I don't use anything fancy. You could use a degreaser but I find they sometimes leave a sticky residue so I always just use some spray wax and a microfiber and wipe down till dry.it does pull up grime and whatnot maybe not as much as degreaser but it's does plenty fine for me and the steering wheel feels great after still as well =P

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks for the words of encouragement haha. Looks like I will try one of the leather and vinyl repair kits and post it whenever I get around to it.

And I feel for ya FG4trout, I'm glad mine it at the 8:00 spot which I never really grab..... But I will get to the bottom of it and let you know how to fix yours.

Looking at these kits the hardest part is going to be color matching. They give you a bunch of colors and its up to you to match it.... Did I mention I'm color blind? hahaha

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the same problem with my car, only I did the scratching with either my wedding ring or the keys. I bothered me for a while until I noticed that the scratch had some how vanished. Just try to rub the scratches back and they will smooth out

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I use shoe polish on my leather furniture,it hides it real well( I have 2 cats...) just find the exact color match.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fund something to fix minor scratches on leather.

Hey so I found a few scratches on my steering wheel and I'm so anal I had to fix them. I used regular leather cleaner, then leather conditioner. It reduced the feel of the scratches for sure but they were still barely there. Later I realized I had scratched them AGAIN with zippers on my shorts by accident.

I stumbled across something called leather CPR in bed bath and beyond (don't judge me lol). I put it on the steering wheel and within 1-2 minutes of rubbing it in liberally they are damn near invisible. Just wanted to post this for anyone that has this same issue on their steering wheel or leather seats. Granted the more severe the scratch/rip the less this will help. Stupid name, but it does what it says.

Leather CPR : Leather CPR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.