9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to wash my car with just the wash and wax then just dry it..
but lately my gf got me car products to wash my car :wigglesmiley:
so when winter is over and spring comes or summer i was planning to do these following steps..
1. wash car with wash and wax
2. dry it off.
3.polish
4.quik wax or any wax products
5.quik detailer.
do you guys think this will be a good way to keep a car fresh? clean smooth and shine?
how do you guys wash your cars?

·
Boston...we will not forget!!!!
1,246 Posts
i would think wax would be the LAST step. Why use quick detailer AFTER you wax??!?!?

since my car is black, i just use touchless car washes, a brush or sponge will NEVER touch my paint lol.

·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol well think the first 4 steps are good?

·
Registered
199 Posts
sleeping panda have fun keeping your car clean with touchless car wash for your black car
you have to use a wash mit ill tell you how

2 bucket method one with soap and water one with water make sure you rinse the mit in the water one than the soap one use a microfiber mit
than you strip the old wax off and tar and mirco dirt than you clar bar the car to get the microdirt off and thanyou olise than you use a wax/sealer

if you never sponge downyour car you will get more scratches with youdry your car off or waxit because there will be dirt in the paint and you willmove it around and scratch the sh111 out of your car badd thats how you get swirls and usesing a presure washer to get soap off your car or to put it on causes baked on soap btw you just foruce it into the crevices and than it will come out and stay on paint just a heads up i do auto detailing on the side

any questions just ask i will be more than happy to help you

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a power washer. High pressure rinse, then high pressure soap, then another rinse. Ends up costing me ~5.00 in quarters

I put a coat of wax on once a month, always looks nice and shiny

·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sleeping panda have fun keeping your car clean with touchless car wash for your black car
you have to use a wash mit ill tell you how

2 bucket method one with soap and water one with water make sure you rinse the mit in the water one than the soap one use a microfiber mit
than you strip the old wax off and tar and mirco dirt than you clar bar the car to get the microdirt off and thanyou olise than you use a wax/sealer

if you never sponge downyour car you will get more scratches with youdry your car off or waxit because there will be dirt in the paint and you willmove it around and scratch the sh111 out of your car badd thats how you get swirls and usesing a presure washer to get soap off your car or to put it on causes baked on soap btw you just foruce it into the crevices and than it will come out and stay on paint just a heads up i do auto detailing on the side

any questions just ask i will be more than happy to help you
i got all the stuff needed and yes i will be doing the 2 bucket methed..
lol i just wanna know how other keep there car nice and shiny you know.
so if i was my car after the wash and drying can i just go stright to wax? or do i polish first then wax?
i own a crystal black civic ex sedan lol

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
holy hell, this thread is bad!

first, black requires the most attention so a simple wash and wax will help but is not good enough.

Second, waxing a car once a month? are you using swapmeet brand car wax? why would you need to wax it that often? every 2-3 months should be plenty given that you take care of your car in between. Once a month should only be done is severe weather places.

As for the OP, your steps are extreme overkill! there is absolutely no need to detail a brand new car! lol rinse, soap, rinse and dry.....then drive! you dont need to polish a new car and you dont need 3 steps with quick detailer!

Sorry not trying to be an @ss but maybe try searching for what other people are using in other threads....i know for a fact there are several good threads on this

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/appearance-body-modifications/1967-can-anyone-suggest-good-wax-applicator.html

check it out

·
Registered
199 Posts
man you can presure wash your car and never touch it with awash mit if you wantits your car and you can detail a new car i buffed mine to get the orange peel out of the paint and for a black car just keep doing 2 bucket method and always dry your car off witha proper shammy and also i use quick detailer lucaus after every wash i detail my car all the time you cant over do it wax will not hurt your car just make sure paint is clean before you wax and also whenyour car comes new there is no wax it so wax it and protect it

·
Blues Clues
1,002 Posts
wow...you guys have such extensive methods of washing your cars.

i usually just spray down the car with water, soak, rinse, and hand dry with a microfiber towel. i use armor all wax&wash solution. waxes as i wash...like two in one!

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah but wash and wax does not really wax your car its a great wash but does not protect your paint you need high quality wax to protect your paint if your ocd over your car like some of us are if not dont worrie about it :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most swirls are caused by poor washing techniques.
Wash the car using the two bucket method...soap, wash section, rinse wash mit in clean bucket....repeat.
Dry the car with a good quality microfiber.

All my stuff is dedicated to my car only, and is washed after use and put away in ziplocks.

I don't go crazy washing but when I do I'm sure to do it correctly. I think I've washed it 3 times since August...and waxed once (Collenite)

·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol im not gonna be like washing my car every week or waxing it ever car wash..
seems like everyone here wash there cars different then.
from now till summer ima just end up waxing it once in the summer.. the rest will be just regular car wash with the 2 bucket method..
and hand drying it.. and if few days later theres dust or it just rain ima just the the quik detailer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Washing your car is very extensive...as your car ages, waxing and using the clay bar is a requirement...I'm just lazy, I go to the autospa and pay 20 bucks for someone to detail it every other week. Not to mention I can get a quick touchup at the dealership.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
405 Posts
I usually wash mine once a week on saturdays, just with a nice soft mit and some meguiar's car wash soap. Maybe some quick detailer if there are some troublesome spots.

Like Talon said, waxing for me is pretty much seasonal, I'll probably do it 4 times a year, with a good claybar once a year to remove contaminants from the paint/clearcoat. At that time I'll probably put in a good 8 hour day with, standard wash, dry, claybar, polish to remove any light scratches, and then a high quality carnauba on top, that will last for another 10 washes or so ~ 3 months.

·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup thanks for the input you guys! :thumb:
but yeah sometimes i get lazy and dont wash my car at all till its really.. dirty haha but 2-3 weeks aint bad to wash the ride

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd never high pressure rinse my baby. Better off washing it myself.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
. We can talk technique on an individual level if you care to.
All vehicles need washing on a frequent basis. Once a week, or once every other week, they all get dirty, all the time and the dirtier they are allowed to get between washes the higher the risk of marring the paint during the wash.

Exposure to the elements is the first area we need to combat, and it starts with proper washing. Contaminants bombard the vehicles surface the moments it steps out of the garage. Brake dust is airborn, sap from trees, industrial fallout and the cursor of them all, U.V. radiation. Oh, don’t forget bird bombs as well.
I've heard the stories about using dishwashing soap, and I see no benefit to using them. Other then it cleans, well so does car wash soap. Leave it for the dishes, even its manufacturers don't recommend using it for auto washing. "Well is strips the old wax off." So does a polish.

Any over the counter soap, provided its a name brand, I can just about vouch for. The only differences you may see is its rinsability. Some soaps, if not rinsed immediately, may leave a film. This film can be removed with water or a
quick detailer and microfiber.

One of my favorite medias to wash with, is of course a genuine sheepskin washmit. I find there softness superior to anything else available, be it synthetic or natural. A genuine sheepskin for me, is really the way to go. They won't scratch, are extremely gentle, hold debris its its abscesses, and then rinse cleanly. Add a bucket capable of a few gallons of water, and a Grit Guard, and your about ready to begin the process.

Another word on Grit Guards. If you care, spend the $10.00 for a lifetime of security knowing the debris you just removed, stays settled on the bottom of the bucket. It's a great little accessory for washing, and truly valuable.

Theres also a very popular product called Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. Add a couple/few cap fulls to each bucket of water (2-3 Gals) and you have superior lubrication, polymers, and debris encapsulation. No other soap is
needed, theres no sudsing, and no rinsing. Just wash, and dry. One of the decades best products has come to the market, also available at exceldetail.com, in 3 sizes.

I also add just ½ a capfull to my regular wash soap to add lubrication.

Drying can be safely done as follows;
1) Once finished washing take the nozzle off the hose and flood the cars surface .. this will not only rinse away grit but will pull 85% of the water off if the car is waxed.
2) "Optional" use a leaf blower to blow a lot more of the water off.
3) Waffle Weave Microfiber towels are the safest bet for the rest of the drying .. they will not mar the surface.

95% of paint marring is caused by poor wash practices.

·
Registered
199 Posts
well said jesstzn i would never put dish soap on my car tho i have heard of people doing that and eating the clear coat ill stick to autowash i buy 5 gallon buckets of it

1 - 20 of 75 Posts