9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
You guys should listen to Jesstzn, he has a good reputation on washing cars.

This is what i normally do when i wash my car
first step is to always see how the car's condition is, if it requires clay barring, intensive dish soap wash, swirl removal, etc.

Normally, for new cars, I wouldn't use clay barring right away after the first 2-3 months, I just start polishing and waxing to keep that factory paint shine and protection.
You can tell on older cars that they lack a layer of paint that creates a glossy, protective layer and it feels rough. No matter how many times you wash these types of car without clay barring, polishing, or waxing, it will feel the same and will go back to being dirty in no time, even if you detail( detailing removes layers ).

For cars that I've washed for friends and family, i normally go through these steps:
1. wash(intensive or softly, depending on the status of the car) by starting on the opposite side of where the sun is at so it doesn't dry off when i'm on the other side
2. dry intensively, making sure no watermarks are left. there are also water between your trunk, hood, and doors that you cannot see unless you open them up. Best way to dry, in my opinion, is to go top to bottom
3. clay bar if NEEDED(i would do this at least 2 times every year for my car)
4. wash it again if the car requires it to
5. polish (different types of polishing for what you want)
6. finish it off with a fine layer of carnauba wax or a protective wax
etc. i also wash the wheels, carpets, and clean the inside, just not listed here

that's pretty much a summary of what i do. on my civic, i've done a polishing and wax and it' has done a great job in sliding water off in this rainy season, but since it is the rainy season, i'm letting it soak in the dirtiness and remove dust and grime here and there when i get the chance with a little bit of detailing lubricant and a microfiber towel. benefits of waxing is that it protects the paint :) the good looking gloss is just an extra if you do it right
I normally use the brand Meguiars to get my job done or mother's wax or turtle wax.

here's some cars that i've done in the mere past
left side is not done for this teggy
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
before:
IMG_0838.jpg
after:
IMG_0839.jpg
my girlfriend's mom's jaguar xf that i worked on today
IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0973.JPG
ironic thing is i never took a picture of my civic after it was done waxing since i did it at night. usually the best time to wash your car to reduce the amount of water marks is when the sun's not out, so either in the morning or at night. Good thing that i have a huge ass tree in front of my lawn that just shades the whole drive way :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
i live in an apartment complex which strictly prohibits you to do any washing of your car on the lot. My only option to clean my car is to go out and have someone clean my car. What's my best option??

·
Registered
518 Posts
i live in an apartment complex which strictly prohibits you to do any washing of your car on the lot. My only option to clean my car is to go out and have someone clean my car. What's my best option??
Have a friend who's cool with you using his driveway and water and use your own supplies :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
You guys should listen to Jesstzn, he has a good reputation on washing cars.

This is what i normally do when i wash my car
first step is to always see how the car's condition is, if it requires clay barring, intensive dish soap wash, swirl removal, etc.

Normally, for new cars, I wouldn't use clay barring right away after the first 2-3 months, I just start polishing and waxing to keep that factory paint shine and protection.
You can tell on older cars that they lack a layer of paint that creates a glossy, protective layer and it feels rough. No matter how many times you wash these types of car without clay barring, polishing, or waxing, it will feel the same and will go back to being dirty in no time, even if you detail( detailing removes layers ).

For cars that I've washed for friends and family, i normally go through these steps:
1. wash(intensive or softly, depending on the status of the car) by starting on the opposite side of where the sun is at so it doesn't dry off when i'm on the other side
2. dry intensively, making sure no watermarks are left. there are also water between your trunk, hood, and doors that you cannot see unless you open them up. Best way to dry, in my opinion, is to go top to bottom
3. clay bar if NEEDED(i would do this at least 2 times every year for my car)
4. wash it again if the car requires it to
5. polish (different types of polishing for what you want)
6. finish it off with a fine layer of carnauba wax or a protective wax
etc. i also wash the wheels, carpets, and clean the inside, just not listed here

that's pretty much a summary of what i do. on my civic, i've done a polishing and wax and it' has done a great job in sliding water off in this rainy season, but since it is the rainy season, i'm letting it soak in the dirtiness and remove dust and grime here and there when i get the chance with a little bit of detailing lubricant and a microfiber towel. benefits of waxing is that it protects the paint :) the good looking gloss is just an extra if you do it right
I normally use the brand Meguiars to get my job done or mother's wax or turtle wax.

here's some cars that i've done in the mere past
left side is not done for this teggy
View attachment 13732
View attachment 13733
before:
View attachment 13734
after:
View attachment 13737
my girlfriend's mom's jaguar xf that i worked on today
View attachment 13735 View attachment 13736
ironic thing is i never took a picture of my civic after it was done waxing since i did it at night. usually the best time to wash your car to reduce the amount of water marks is when the sun's not out, so either in the morning or at night. Good thing that i have a huge ass tree in front of my lawn that just shades the whole drive way :)
thanx!

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 handwashing is the way to go

Anyone use the jelly blades to dry their car Ive yet to have and swirl problems or light scratches between that and the cali brush my car stays dust free and clean all summe until it gets way to cold and I'm forced to take it to a pay wash

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
+1 handwashing is the way to go

Anyone use the jelly blades to dry their car Ive yet to have and swirl problems or light scratches between that and the cali brush my car stays dust free and clean all summe until it gets way to cold and I'm forced to take it to a pay wash
What color is your car?

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine Two Bucket Wash System and I am quite happy with it. It is our first Honda and we noticed the paint is so so. Additionally, we got a black SI Coupe and I am really concerned about clear coat failure. I do not mind washing the car every two weeks but I am total "noob" when it comes waxing.

It seems "Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax" is a really good product. After washing and thorough drying I would apply some wax 2-3 times a year. Is polishing necessary? We park in the street so it is a problem.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 Combo : Amazon.com : Automotive

Great thread.:icon_wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to wash my car with the help of car wash microfiber towels and huck towels of HY Supplies Inc. Both are high absorbent towels. Microfiber towels have tightly woven fibers, which is used to pull the dirt away from the surface easily and it cut down the cleaning agents used in car washing. Due to its high absorbency, Microfiber towels and huck towels dry the car surface and remove the spots formation

61 - 75 of 75 Posts