9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making 2 threads back to back, didn't know what other section to post this. I think owning a brand new car is going to ruin my relationship! I've always been meticulous about the care of my cars, but I have always bought used, so there was always things messed up that I couldn't change, but with a brand new car, it is in perfect condition and anything that happens is on me, so I've been even more car care crazy then usual.

My problem is, comparing the driver side and passenger side is rediculous. My floormat is clean, door and kick panel is scuff free, yet the passenger side is filthy. Saw her use her boot the other day to push the door open and almost went bat shit crazy. I know I can't expect people to respect my stuff like I do, but what can I do to protect it?

Sidenote: I used a razerblade to remove the dealer vinyl sticker above the civic emblem they put on, and accidentally got too much of an angle on the razer for a split second, and put a scuff/scratch on the paint, think polish will take it out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hear ya. My wife is very careless with stuff like that. Everytime she gets in she doesn't open the door enough and ends up hitting the bottom of the door and scuff plates as well. In terms of a scratch/scuff, feel it with your finger nail, if it gets caught its too deep. If your nail just glides across, very easy to fix. I recommend something like NuFinish scratch doctor. Used it for some swirls and light scratches before and it polishes them out pretty well. Might take a couple of applications. Don't rub it too hard, med pressure, check your work and try again.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
i hear ya.... but over time you just gotta expect stuff will happen...it will get dirty even for the most anal of people.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You may want to consider getting some protective film for the passenger side door, such as the type that 3m makes under the "scotchguard" brand. It won't look that good on a textured surface, but it should go a long way in protecting the door from scuffs. Also, be sure to get the all-weather mats - they are quite protective.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
I think the most important question is, what is she doing out of the kitchen? :eusa_dance:

oh...that is so wrong..i hope you dont have a woman and she finds out about that post... you might not have one for long....lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the most important question is, what is she doing out of the kitchen? :eusa_dance:
lmao, I gotta let her loose once or twice a week, plus she found where I keep the key to the leash.

I kid, I kid.

@Andex: Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Compare to the wife on the passenger seat thing, I worry more about the dings and dents on the exterior. So besides parking the car strategically, there isn't really anything we can do? (those car door guards are too ugly and hard to use, so they are out of the question)

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Words like .. "Huh... when ya get in/out could you maybe watch you don't scuff the door cars ... really hard to get the scuff out and this is my first new car ... I'm going to try to keep it pristine" Then set an example...

My wife is not a car person at all but a simple request years ago and its been great sinse.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Depending on how your girlfriend/wife is, you might want to tread carefully if you dont want to worsen your relationship.

I would approach the question in a non-chalant manner without coming off as accusatory. If your voice sounds angry or upset, she'll think you care more about the car than her.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depending on how your girlfriend/wife is, you might want to tread carefully if you dont want to worsen your relationship.

I would approach the question in a non-chalant manner without coming off as accusatory. If your voice sounds angry or upset, she'll think you care more about the car than her.
I do, don't you? Just kidding. I've already dropped a few subtle hints, and she is getting better about it. In my Jeep if we picked up a pizza, I would get in the car and see the pizza sitting on top of the dash, all that grease from the bottom of the box just chilling on my dash. She started to do it the other day, and said "this is a new car, i thought you'd be upset if I did that" I don't think she realizes the door panel thing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
She started to do it the other day, and said "this is a new car, i thought you'd be upset if I did that" I don't think she realizes the door panel thing.
At least she's catching on haha.
You can drop a subtle hint about the door panel by timing it so that she comes outside and see's you buffing or cleaning that kick panel on the passenger door. She might ask, "what are you doing?" and you can just be like, "oh no biggy, just being super anal about these scuff marks from your boot. Don't worry about it honey."

Play the guilt card and she'll be more mindful :happy:

·
Registered
162 Posts
All I know is if anyone even my gf was not respecting my car and the level of care i am taking to preserve it I would be getting rid of her right quick. Its not even a matter of if I care about the car more than her or not. Its my stuff so respect it. Besides another girl will be along quick enough. Even quicker and with less effort after all girls are always going on about my new Si lol

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Sounds to me like the real question, besides the scratch repair which Andex addressed well, is, "why do you have a wife"?

They really aren't a necessity as much as women don't understand that concept......:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
175 Posts
you don't every use a razor blade on the painted surface Razor blades are for windshield sticker. to take off the decal or pin stripe all you do is get a hair dryer and your finger nail or plastic applicator and peal them off slowly then apply some 3m adhesive remover for the residue, go over with wax done deal. you may want to reapply that sticker over your scratch:eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Could be worse - she could be putting her boots up on the dash and scuffing that up for you!

Honestly have to admit even though I'm careful, door scuff/kick plates and lower door panels still gets hit (even by me) at times. Not so cool if someone's just kicking at them though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a wife.. and if she saw that she would probably give me a look similar to this:

that's our old 08 that got totalled behind her.
:hitit: ..no disrespect

1 - 20 of 36 Posts