41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Rotflmfao^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
709 Posts
Promise you'll be a good responsible son. Don't let them see you drunk and wasted. Don't get someone pregnant. Get a second job or get a different job other that your parent's restaurant.

Exxxtreme (R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My advice is be happy with what seems like a free BRAND NEW car. If you want to upgrade, get a job and pay for it yourself. Your an adult!
Like I said, I do have a job. If I were to get a new one AND help my parents just for the sake of helping, along with my university work, there would be no way I could keep up with marks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha, I see everyone is going off topic about what you really wanted to know.

Here's my story.16 year old, dad gives me his daily driver; 98 Toyota Celica GT. Fricken loved it, but I wanted someone more.Worked at my dad's place, got some money, paid my dad for what he paid for the Celica, sold it myself got an extra 1500 from it.

Worked my ass off, Acura RSX-S 2004. Asked my parents to help with the down payment, and used the money I got from selling the Celica as an 'oh crap' investment, which was also used for monthly payments, insurance, gas and repairs when needed. Took me about half a year, paid my folks back in full amount.

Happy days with my dc5.

Sold my dc5 and now debating on the 2012 si or waiting for the 2013 si. or a s2000 cr, but then i'd just be waking up from my dream

Moral of the story; Like everyone else said, save up that chunk change and if your parents allow you to, trade-in the ex grab onto that SI. Or do what I did, asked my parent to hook their son up, and be good to your word. I mean at first it took me a while to convince them to help me out. Worked my ass off at my dad's shop and working at Foot Locker. Same problem, insurance and the car payment. Proved to them I had enough money to afford both the insurance and payments, and then they helped me out with the down payment with a promise of me paying them back, even though they were refusing the money, ended using it to buy them a cruise trip :wigglesmiley: And trust me, my parents spoiled the heck out of me, cause I'm the youngest, but I only take what I can repay.

Just realize, that there's some college students out there who rides the bus or walks a mile just to go to class, and they'd be happy with a 86 Corolla. And trust me man, I have a bunch of army buddies who had parents who did nothing for them, thus why they enlisted.

Personal experience, 9 months rucking up mountains and walking through fields of crap... makes you miss anything with wheels on there. 2 more months and I'm outttaaa Afghanistan woooooho. :eusa_dance:

But for reals, if need advice feel free to hit me up. I was in the same boat man.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey peeps, first post here.

I'm currently driving a 2012 Ex sedan auto and I want to trade it in.

The car that I really want is the Honda Civic Si (which comes standard transmission only). My parents didn't want to get me one in the first place because of basically 2 "reasons": that it's too expensive and insurance is too expensive....
Man, you are lucky! When I was about the same age as you, all my parents can afford to give me was a bicycle.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I lucked out. I went and served in a third world country for 2 years, came home the week of Christmas and my parents took me to the Honda dealership and my Si was sitting there with a big bow on it. So I guess you could try that, serve for two years with no communication with your family for 2 years and see what happens....that's what I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lucked out. I went and served in a third world country for 2 years, came home the week of Christmas and my parents took me to the Honda dealership and my Si was sitting there with a big bow on it. So I guess you could try that, serve for two years with no communication with your family for 2 years and see what happens....that's what I did.

Hahaha now I'm hoping my parents would do that for me when I come back in the summer from Afghanistan.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had insurance wrongly list it when I got it initially as an LX given it was so new then, but really the Si sedan vs. other Civic sedans doesn't change insurance that much. Not sure if coupes will make a difference, they used to add a bit to insurance as well.

Not going to touch parent/kid thing since others have covered it well obviously enough.

·
Registered
641 Posts
^ there is a lot more than what car you dirve that determines your insurance rate. Male vs female, coupe vs sedan, accident history, age, so on and so forth. A male under 25 yrs in a coupe is going to have a higher insurance rate. Beleive it or not the color also makes a difference as well.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
^ there is a lot more than what car you dirve that determines your insurance rate. Male vs female, coupe vs sedan, accident history, age, so on and so forth. A male under 25 yrs in a coupe is going to have a higher insurance rate. Beleive it or not the color also makes a difference as well.
That 25 may be a myth. 28 and mine still hasn't fallen. Looked up insurance codes and it indicates 30. Must be company dependent. Location is huge too. Moved from upstate NY to Seattle area and rates nearly trippled.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That 25 may be a myth. 28 and mine still hasn't fallen. Looked up insurance codes and it indicates 30. Must be company dependent. Location is huge too. Moved from upstate NY to Seattle area and rates nearly trippled.

Mine went way down after 30, and down a little more after 35. I've never had a ticket or accident in my life ( did have 1 no fault accident ).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
2012 Civic Si HFP or wait for 2013 Si??

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some input or some advice on here seeing as most of you are a lot more experienced in car-purchases than I am.

I am going to be selling my current Ex soon and then possibly buying a new one in December. My current choices are the FRS/BRZ, WRX, 2012 Si sedan, 2012 Si coupe hfp, or the 2013 Si sedan. I've done my research on all of these cars and they all have pros and cons (with exception of the 2013 civic since it hasn't been revealed yet). The reason I'm coming to you guys is because I think this community is excellent and gives good feedback, and the fact that I think every car listed is a good car so I can't really make up my mind.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will say it differently, can you tell us what you are looking for from a car? For exqmple if this is a daily driver and you have to drive in snowy weather then maybe you would rule out the rear wheel drive cars. However if your looking for a car to take to the track and auto cross well maybe then you would want rwd. So what are your needs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I see, more info..

Well like I said, I have done the research on all cars, and know what each has to offer. Personally, since I live in Canada, RWD doesn't seem like a good option in snow, and that was why I initially ruled out the twins in the first place. However, I'm hearing/reading different things about RWD in snow, some people are saying it's BS that it's less efficient than FWD/AWD in snow due to the twins having traction and stability control. But then again, I haven't driven a RWD in the snow so I won't know unless one of the forum members enlightens me.

All in all, I'm looking for a fun to drive car that's not overly expensive, I'm not going to be racing all the time. It'll be my DD and I'd like for it to be practical. Now, I know the coupes like the twins and the Si HFP won't be as practical as the sedans, but I really like the styling of those cars TONS more and so I'm torn on deciding which car to get.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts