9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently slapped on my stock tires onto my new set of rims, 17x9's. I've been driving like an old asian grandma. From what I've seen, it's common to go 215/45/17's on 17x9's. But my question is, how hard can you drive? At what speed can you take the corners? What's safe and what's not?

Just trying to get your guys opinions on how you drive on stretched tires.

Thanks!!

4704.jpg

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,574 Posts
My god, those things always look like they're gonna pop off inwards at any given moment.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
the only way to find out is the drive hard into the corner...

i personally don't know but every car i seen with your similar set up, they can't drive fast or corner hard.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
depends on how much stretch, if you have obvious exposed rim, i wouldnt corner hard, but stanced is a lifestyle, so get used to it

·
August 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
274 Posts
it depends on a stretch actually alil bit of a stretch is better on cornering.
so the tires is not flexing much.
but going with alot of stretch like i had and some of the members here its more for looks.
ive driven my car hard and took some corners with it too but nothing too aggressive.
just keep your tire pressure up and just be careful with potholes. your stretch is not that bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stretching a tire definitely DOES NOT increase performance. The whole purpose of the sidewall is to absorb horizontal flex. As you accelerate hard the tire crowns, the sidewall relieves this by conforming inward. Likewise under hard breaking the expand outward. Your sidewall essentially sacrifices itself to keep the tire at its best grip, as well as providing slight lateral flex under hard cornering. Your trendy "stretch" minimizes your sidewall's limits. To look cooler and ride even lower you risk 1. curbing a wheel more easily 2. popping bead 3. blowing a tire 4. doing even more damage to a fender 5. horrible ride quality 6. poor handling 7. abnormal tire wear and on and on.

Just refer to any competitive sport involving corners, be it AMA, Le Mans, GTR, NASCAR, Indy. Not one single competitive sport "stretches" tires. It's a fad. That's it. If the trade off it worth the look, go for it. But don't make the uninformed mistake of thinking you're gaining anything but style points.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hit the nastiest pothole yesterday and thought it took the whole rear end off of her. Lawd. No signs of any damage though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey man! Nice wheels! are they the x9 or x10 ones? And what tires have you got stretched on them? Thanks! Hope to see more of your car :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
LMFAO!!! Just saw the beginning of the title "How to drive..." & started cracking up, I had 2 come in 4 a peek! :rotfl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hit the nastiest pothole yesterday and thought it took the whole rear end off of her. Lawd. No signs of any damage though.

dude nice car but how in the world are you not rubbing!?!?!?!?! i put a sinple 17x8.25 35 offset with a stretched 215/45/17 and im rubbing every time i turn , im on ksport koils by the way and im at max height . do you thing getting a rim with a 40 or 45 offset will help im wondering will it start to touch the caliper if i do so

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
dude nice car but how in the world are you not rubbing!?!?!?!?! i put a sinple 17x8.25 35 offset with a stretched 215/45/17 and im rubbing every time i turn , im on ksport koils by the way and im at max height . do you thing getting a rim with a 40 or 45 offset will help im wondering will it start to touch the caliper if i do so
How low is max height on ksports?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
u need 215 40 17s

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how much finger gap do u have between the fenders and your tires? i got about a 1.5 finger gap, plenty of room. Very mild drop on bc coils and running 18s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts