9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2012 Civic Si about 9 months ago.(in 2015) I absolutely love the car! However when i bought it, it already had a few modifications. I had no idea what they were at the time, nor did the dealership that sold it to me, other than (it looks like an aftermarket intake)...so whatever... the car drove great and sounds great yada yada. This is still the case. however through online searches on forums (mainly 9thgencivic) I was able to find out what mods I KNEW i had.
SO i have from what i can tell:
Injen Cold Air Intake.(seems like 3 inch intake? maybe 2.5) (wrinkle Red looks awesome...unrelated i know)
RBC intake manifold with PRL adapter/spacers?
here is the kicker... my ECU (I believe is what its called) in the engine bay has a hondata sticker on it. i understand you prly get this sticker when purchasing a flashpro correct? but eitherway this leads me to believe the car was tuned previously or is still tuned. I thought the car wouldnt run if it wasnt tuned so i figured somehow the previous owner got it tuned and left it tuned...either by some shop or just didnt know he had to unlock the flashpro when getting rid of the car... i seriously dont know and this is my problem.
I talked to Vit from vittuned and he told me that the car may still run okay without a tune on those modifications. And seriously the car runs amazing and always has (to me anyway) yeah its not that smooth sometimes like shifting or decelerating it kinda jerks as the rpms fall, but i have no idea if thats just how stock si's feel, it could just be driver error and im totally okay with that.
However id like to know if it was tuned because if it wasnt i would like to get a flashpro and tune it with Vit, just so i know its making the best power it can, and so that the car is running efficiently.

so moral of the story is: Does ANYONE know if there is a way to tell if my car has been tuned before? vit said there isnt really a way, but id like to hear if anyone else had ideas before i spend 700 on a flashpro and find out its already been tuned. My step dad is a mechanic and has access to diagnostic testing things that connect to OBDII ports and what not, to get calibration ID's and what not... i just dont know what to look for. (sorry i dont know what im really talking about just trying to describe it)
OR maybe looking at rev hang? different ways the car would act being tuned vs not tuned... rev limits... how the car would act on these mods with no tune?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :) unfortunately the dealership got this car at auction and never dealt with or talked to the previous owner.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
It shoulda come with the flash pro.If it is tuned the flash pro it was tuned with would have to be included because it would be locked to it and un-usable on any other SI.Does it have rev hang?Is the rev limit higher than stock?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If your dad's tool can data log, just hook it up and do a pull at wide-open throttle. Ignition timing and cam timing are clear signs for determining a tune. A/F ratio can also tell you a lot. If it goes way lean over 5k, it's not tuned.

Maybe a little bit easier...Stock cars redline at 7200 and hit VTEC at 5000. Some basic tunes set the redline to 7500, but it'd be hard to tell the difference just by watching the tach bounce. VTEC light anywhere but 5k at WOT is definitely not stock.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about buying a fully tuned car, though. Most people don't seem to bother and those that do usually unlock their Flashpros and resell them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your dad's tool can data log, just hook it up and do a pull at wide-open throttle. Ignition timing and cam timing are clear signs for determining a tune. A/F ratio can also tell you a lot. If it goes way lean over 5k, it's not tuned.

Maybe a little bit easier...Stock cars redline at 7200 and hit VTEC at 5000. Some basic tunes set the redline to 7500, but it'd be hard to tell the difference just by watching the tach bounce. VTEC light anywhere but 5k at WOT is definitely not stock.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about buying a fully tuned car, though. Most people don't seem to bother and those that do usually unlock their Flashpros and resell them.
@GhostMonky well thats the thing im not really sure on the rev hang... i feel like it falls pretty fast, but sometimes i feel like it hangs, I guess im saying im just too inexperienced with it to actually tell. also what is the stock rev limit? nvm bigbad answered that, ill have to check that.

@bigbadspoon Im not too sure if it has data logging ill have to ask him. It might just be for codes like check engine lights or misfires im not sure. okay so here is the thing.. i can put the pedal to the floor way under 5k rpms and the red vtec light comes on instantly. the bottom rev lights or whatever dont come on until 5k though. so does that mean its probably tuned!? I totally agree with you man, I dont know why he wouldnt unlock the flashpro, before selling the car...atleast so he could resell the flashpro but maybe he didnt know he had to do that? but then again i feel like perhaps this guy just gave up for some reason/had it taken from him (thats why the dealer got it from auction...idk) ANOTHER huge thing is this car was bought in Hawaii and tagged there... however... i live in DELAWARE so... leads me to believe this guy was maybe military? i dont know maybe he got stationed over seas and just had to sell it right away and forgot about the flashpro unlocking...

HUGE thankyou to both of you by the way! this was the exact sort of feedback i was hoping for!

Reactions: GHOSTMONKY

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now that i think about it I dont even need WOT to have the vtec light turn on before 5k RPMS

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
If it turns out not to be tuned Ya oughta get flash pro anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it turns out not to be tuned Ya oughta get flash pro anyways.
I will for sure because i do plan on adding some more mods in the future, but for now i just would like to save the money if my car is already tuned, the thing i dont want to do is be driving around with mods on my car while the ECU doesnt even know they are there ya know what I mean? I just want to get the best out of it for now, before i get some more mods. Do you think because my vtec goes on at anytime the car has to be tuned?

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I will add that I have a RV6 catted Downpipe and Q300 catback then a Flash pro tune by the man himself Vitviper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today i tried it out, my Vtec light/i can hear the vtec crossover at around 3k rpms not even WOT, id say about 80% throttle. does this prove my car would be tuned? this weekend i will also be able to check A/F ratios with my step dads tool, it turns out it can data log stuff like that, so that will further test the theory.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you were to post a short vid of your tach and vtec lights at wot or 80% throttle and going through a few up shifts, we could see the vtec and rev hang, probably giving you good indication of tuned or not.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
So today i tried it out, my Vtec light/i can hear the vtec crossover at around 3k rpms not even WOT, id say about 80% throttle. does this prove my car would be tuned? this weekend i will also be able to check A/F ratios with my step dads tool, it turns out it can data log stuff like that, so that will further test the theory.
If you have vtec engaging at around 3k rpms then you do not have the stock tune. Does throttle position even matter for vtec? I thought it was solely based on rpm.

With all of those other mods I would also be confident that there was a tune to support them. Your car would be unstable with the stock tune and RBC.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you have vtec engaging at around 3k rpms then you do not have the stock tune. Does throttle position even matter for vtec? I thought it was solely based on rpm.

With all of those other mods I would also be confident that there was a tune to support them. Your car would be unstable with the stock tune and RBC.
That is why there is a vtec window. The lower engagement point is the lowest rpm at which vtec can engage at. Anywhere between that, and the highest point, vtec will engage based on load on the engine. (Throttle position) At the higher window number, vtec will be engaged no matter the load on the engine until redline.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is why there is a vtec window. The lower engagement point is the lowest rpm at which vtec can engage at. Anywhere between that, and the highest point, vtec will engage based on load on the engine. (Throttle position) At the higher window number, vtec will be engaged no matter the load on the engine until redline.
ill see what i can do about a short video on this! thanks for the input! yeah i guess the pedal position doesnt really matter. eitherway it hits vtec super early basically anytime i get on it, the light goes on right away.

I Wonder why it was put so low though? is there even a benefit to having it so low? It just sucks the car didnt come with the flashpro or any information that it was tuned. but atleast it seems to be tuned from what you all are saying! Thanks for all the feedback by the way!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Usually, VTEC is set low midway through the tuning process to try and find out where the best crossover point is. I can't imagine having it at 3k would be particularly beneficial with those mods. Mine worked out to be at 4500.

Sounds like you've got some kind of tune on there, but it's hard to say whether it's complete or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO after finding all of this stuff out, from the help of you all! :eusa_clap:. it looks like i have a tune, but either not complete.. or just weird... no idea why my vtec comes on SOOO early. found out its 3500 rpms to be exact. Thats cool and all, however it seems like its useless from everything ive read... it should be around 4500 with the correct tune.. or something like that i believe. ANY way here is my new question. After the winter months, (or maybe during winter...i dont know, would love feedback on this too) I will be purchasing a FlashPro along with tune from Vit, to help get my car running the way it should be.

Since it is not possible to tell if the last owner of my car had a flashpro locked to the car, or sent his ECU away somehow for tuning... WILL a new flashpro be able to tune the car? IF lets say there WAS an old flashpro still locked too it. ( i have no idea if this is true, just working out the What-ifs)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You don't remove the CPU, the Hondata unit plugs into the obd2 port and downloads the tune into the CPU. The Hondata unit is married to the VIN on the car, so whomever is holding on to the Hondata unit that programmed your car has a very expensive paperweight.
AFAIK If you are purchasing a new Hondata, there should be no problem retuning your car. I think you may even be able to return it back to the OEM stock tune, maybe?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You don't remove the CPU, the Hondata unit plugs into the obd2 port and downloads the tune into the CPU. The Hondata unit is married to the VIN on the car, so whomever is holding on to the Hondata unit that programmed your car has a very expensive paperweight.
AFAIK If you are purchasing a new Hondata, there should be no problem retuning your car. I think you may even be able to return it back to the OEM stock tune, maybe?
Right, I know how it works, i was just saying, because who knows what the owner before me did with it. I dont know why someone who did something as big as an RBC swap on a car(i guess not that big, just alot more involved than just an intake), and wasnt smart enough to unlock his flashpro so he could sell it again, unless he somehow sold it to someone as a paperweight and scammed them. Anyway, Thank you for the response! as long as it can be connected to a new flash pro and re-tuned then im happy, i was worried it might still be tied into another, allowing the ECU to only be tuned by the previous flash pro.

Hopefully Vit could see this, or ill send him an email to ask just to be sure but thanks for the feedback fisch!

Also would it be worth it to wait till after winter to start etuning or is during winter fine? with the cold air and all?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The ECU will compensate for external temps, it's more an issue of will your winter weather allow you to safely do WOT third gear pulls to fuel cut-off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That makes much more sense! Thank you for all the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts