9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got into a little fender bender a few days ago. The car will need to be taken into a shop for a new rear bumper. I am in the middle of VIT Tuning and am extremely protective of my property.

I'm looking for a way to make sure no one takes the car for a joyride. I'm in the middle of tuning and the worst thought in the world right now would be to think about an idiot mechanic who can barely drive stick redlining my car. I've thought about taping paper by the odomoter stating the current mileage at the time of arrival. I've also thought about writing out an agreement to have the service manager sign that clearly states the car will not leave the shop under any circumstances.

Does anyone have any ideas to make sure the car does not leave the shop? And if it does, what course of action can be taken against the shop if we make a written agreement?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
be pro-active, tell the manager your concern.... and record the mileage, and let the manager know, he will be responsible if the odometer # changes

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
Why would they need to take it for a test drive if all you're getting is a new bumper? If you're really concerned about it you can go there and have them give you the bumper then you can go home and install it yourself. Bumpers are really easy - if I can do it anyone can do it. I think there are two bolts where the trunk closes at the bottom then a screw in the fender well of each of the rear tires and that's it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Stick something under gas pedal so it won't go down all the way? :D

Reactions: koni

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Hey all,

Got into a little fender bender a few days ago. The car will need to be taken into a shop for a new rear bumper. I am in the middle of VIT Tuning and am extremely protective of my property.

I'm looking for a way to make sure no one takes the car for a joyride. I'm in the middle of tuning and the worst thought in the world right now would be to think about an idiot mechanic who can barely drive stick redlining my car. I've thought about taping paper by the odomoter stating the current mileage at the time of arrival. I've also thought about writing out an agreement to have the service manager sign that clearly states the car will not leave the shop under any circumstances.

*Does anyone have any ideas to make sure the car does not leave the shop?
**And if it does, what course of action can be taken against the shop if we make a written agreement?
*Yes. Pitch a tent and stay with it 24/7, that is the only way.
**None. I doubt that any manager would sign such an agreement.

What makes your car so special that you think someone would want to drive it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
you can set the rev limit and speed limiter super low so they can driver it faster than say 55mph or something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would they need to take it for a test drive if all you're getting is a new bumper? If you're really concerned about it you can go there and have them give you the bumper then you can go home and install it yourself. Bumpers are really easy - if I can do it anyone can do it. I think there are two bolts where the trunk closes at the bottom then a screw in the fender well of each of the rear tires and that's it.
That's the exact point of what I'm saying. They don't need to drive it, and thus I want to ensure they don't drive it. It is unfortunately more common than people realize that employees at shops take customer cars for joyrides.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If joyrides are inevitable, is there any tune Vit can send you to "protect" the car while its in the shop?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
*Yes. Pitch a tent and stay with it 24/7, that is the only way.
**None. I doubt that any manager would sign such an agreement.

What makes your car so special that you think someone would want to drive it?
Quick Google search and you'll see just how many incidents there have been of employees taking out customer cars in extremely irresponsible ways. I am not stating my car is special and that everyone wants to drive it. I'm saying that IF one of the employees decided to be an idiot and drive it, WHAT are preventative measures to take.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would put it back to the factory tune
The car doesn't run well at all with the factory tune and a catless downpipe. It would be worse for the car, I think I'll just update my current calibration by changing the rev limiter to something very low

·
Registered
12 Posts
How desperate would a mechanic have to be to want to joyride a 4 cylinder economy car. I wouldn't worry, the guy probably has access to 20 cars a day that are much more entertaining than a civic.

·
Registered
463 Posts
How desperate would a mechanic have to be to want to joyride a 4 cylinder economy car. I wouldn't worry, the guy probably has access to 20 cars a day that are much more entertaining than a civic.
I'd actually have to agree with the OP...the car doesn't really matter, I've heard someone with a base model nissan versa who eventually found out that the mechanic that services his car regularly took it out for drives just to pick up lunch and whatnot.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,670 Posts
Good idea on the cam, thank you bro!
After having my wife's car serviced at Nissan, when I picked it up I found my dash cam unplugged which I found odd it must of been unplugged at the dealership. I wasn't concerned the car was taken for a joy ride since I was there the whole time and it was for minor regular servicing but kind of upset they would unplug my dash cam, it does make you wonder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts